Realflight 9.5 with old Interlink Elite from G5.5 - Does it work?

CrummyPilot

Howdy folks,

Can I use the software-only version of Realflight 9.5S with my original Interlink Elite "Futaba" controller?

I own a copy of Realflight G5.5 and the Interlink Elite controller, and it's all working fine, but I'd like to upgrade to 9.5. I realize that the new controller is all fancy and everything, but I honestly don't care about all the extra buttons and resolution, etc. My hesitation is that I'm not sure I can buy the controller alone if it is that I buy the software alone and realize I need it after the fact.

The requirements that I read sort of kind of make it sound like I can use any controller, but I get burned by fake specifications enough on the internet that I'm weary. Is the software still "dongled" by the Interlink controller? If I understand correctly, Realflight G5.5 won't run unless it detects the special Interlink controller, and I also think that it just shows up as a game controller too...

So what's the story? Will it work?

Thanks!

Yes, it will work. And it hasn't been used as copy protection since RF7. RF8/9 will work with any joystick that Windows recognizes. But the extra channels in the new controller may be needed for some complex models.
P.S. I forgot to mention... the new controller will NOT work with your old version of RF.

And as Bill alluded to - easy test: Plug your controller into your PC, and see if it shows up under Windows devices as a game controller. If so, and you can calibrate it in Windows, you are good to go for the software only version of RF (with the caveats Bill mentioned).

I have RF 7.5 & 8 with X & Elite controllers. The Elite works for ALL versions, the X only with with 8. 9.5 is supposed to work exactly like 8 for supported controllers. Since it works with 8, it should work with 9.5. I don't think testing is absolutely necessary, but certainly can't hurt. I don't remember for sure whether I started with RF1 or 2, but it had a 15-pin joystick/midi controller Interlink on my sound card - pre-USB. I don't know whether the Elite would have worked on the oldest versions - they're LONG gone. I think I got my Elite with RF5. But I do still have the RF2 CD, so if I wanted to do something crazy, I could probably install it under Win10.

You guys - Thank you. Super helpful information about being able to use the old TX controllers with the new Realflight software, as long as they show up as a Windows joystick. Seems completely reasonable. Much appreciated.

Oddly enough Bill, those 15 pin ports on the sound cards were analog (and a few digital too) and Windows had an easy time of mounting them as joysticks. It would seemingly work well, and nowadays, it would probably make a great Arduino Leonardo project to read those pots and buttons in and mount as a USB Windows joystick.

I usually use the Old interlink Elite today on 9.5... it seems to be of better quality still even though I got it in 2009.... it is the one that hasn't broken yet.

I'm using my old interlink Elite for Evolution and it works great. With the new control configuration options you can use anything that registers in Windows. You can also map all the buttons and switches so there is really nothing to miss out on. I even use my Thrustmaster Warthog that is for DCS for a lot of the jets in Realflight. I can get much better control with such a high quality flight stick that gives you more movement per axis. I also unscrewed the right thumb cap on my interlink and screwed on the handle from an X-acto knife that matched threads and now my RC stick has much more movement and is great at delicate flying. The longer you flight stick the more control you have. Realflight will only recognize one controller at a time, however, the keyboard still works. So, you can use a free software called joy to key and just map another controller (like my Warthog throttle) to keys and it will work that way along with my flight stick.

I started Realflight years ago and always wanted this ability to use whatever control configs and hardware I want. Lots of options and lots of fun.

Last edited:
Back