RealFlight 9.5 with the NX10 Field Radio from Spektrum as Control Interface

marcushh777

RealFlight 9.5 with the NX10 Field Radio from Spektrum

Well today has been a 'pretty good day' flying the [@technoid] Goldberg Super Chipmunk for much of the afternoon using the new NX10 field radio from Spektrum as simulator controller; what a day! This NX10 field transmitter and simulator control interface has exceeded all expectations. This radio is a keeper!

As much as possible I tried to keep the setup as 'out of box' as I could just to see how much has been done for the user; and its a bundle joy, requiring very little change from the default 'Acro' setup! Everything is where you might expect it, and it all just works... this is a huge improvement for Spektrum's marketing strategy, and for the RealFlight community. I can't say enough, but I'm going to try!

The NX10 may be used directly as a RealFlight 9.5 simulator controller via the supplied usb charging cable (has mag mount). In this setup the radio frequency power output is suspended and the NX10 is 'wired' usb similar to the InterlinkDX controller interface. I wired mine via 3' usb extension cable. My only criticism (and its minor) is that the supplied usb cable is a tad short... but not a problem.

The usb interface must be activated; this simple operation sets the HID to Game Controller, and also quiesces the radio frequency power output. The USB Settings menu is found near the end of the System Setup menu and gives the user access to the internal storage and the Game Controller option. (click pic to enlarge)

20210527_170522.jpg

Once the usb Game Controller option has been activated the NX10 field radio will appear to Windows 10, in Other Devices, as 'Spektrum Radio'. The NX10 [main screen] will now indicate that the simulator interface is active, and that the rf has been turned off. (click pic to enlarge)

20210527_170002_001.jpg

Much can be changed, added, modified (etc) and I'll cover some of that in a later post; everything mostly just works, and works the way you would expect it to... flaps are on 'D', mode chnl (8) is on 'B' (super chipmunk's sliding canopy), gear and smoke is on 'A', and the interface is setup for mode 2 flight. The simulator (with 9.5 and latest updates) auto detects the 'Spektrum Radio' and selects the controller 'Spektrum NX Series (wired usb)'. Mine worked well 'out of box' but I went through the 'select controller editor' calibration process (very easy, and a good idea).

There were no surprises, I have no complaints, and I've had a ton of fun! The 'Acro' default model places the 'knob' on Aux3. I changed this right away by reassigning momentary switch 'I' to Aux3. I then set this button to be the 'RESET' option in the select controller editor. In this way the transmitter's 'bind button' may be used as the simulator's 'crash reset' (spacebar on the keyboard).

This new NX10 is simply superb; hands down, its fabulous! Spektrum, nice job! Of course I'll be tweaking my new simulator controller with 3 axis DR/Expo, and renaming the 'Acro' model to something better like 'Simulator Generic Plane'. Anyway, when I get it finished I'll be uploading the config file here for easy access.

marcus

Last edited:
The following pic is my NX10 forward panel (inverted, with antennae folded) showing the symmetry of the switches, the new layout for the knob, the sliders (on the ends of the hand-grips), the usb charge cable being used for usb game controller (blue dot is power). The usb cable plug is two piece with the mag mount in the plug piece (can be easily removed with provided collar). The sliders function like the ones on the InterlinkDX, but they are larger, more accessible, and easier to use on the NX10. Note the R knob has the pointer 'up' and the control finger 'down'. This design makes the knob actually useable on the NX series.

Unlike the DX series, the diversity antennae is NOT in the handle on the NX series. The NX series diversity antennae is located on the top of the unit under the product label. That, and the folding main antennae, makes the NX10 superior for range and connectivity.

20210528_103621.jpg

Update: 2:22 minutes of active download; 3:55 minutes of terror...

I am happy to report that my NX10 connected to the network in my home via wifi passkey without issues; I was able to logon to the Spektrum product registration site, also without issue. Using the built-in wifi utilities I checked for updates and found two: I downloaded the latest version ( my unit shipped with v3.03 ) to the NX10 internal storage (not SD card) which took about 2:22 minutes. I then used the install utility which took several more minutes of forward | reverse grey and orange progress bars... and what appeared to be more than a few restarts. The system auto-rebooted and came up running v3.04 This of course is fabulous news because everything worked... and the unit did not get bricked ! ( I'm not surprised, but I was on pins and needles the entire time, explained below )

The reports on-line indicated that early versions of the firmware (sorry, don't know which precisely) caused the unit to brick after only a short time of use. (mine has been running several hours)
Also there were reports that there were various problems with wifi connectivity, download, or update... which either left the unit bricked, or left the unit running but still at the earlier version firmware. I attributed the reports with a grain of sand and probable technically challenged RC pilots. (ehem) Consequently I am very pleased (as you might guess) that the entire registration process including wifi firmware update went smoothly and without issues, nor without manufacturing a 'brick'. ? ??

notes: I must admit that I already had an active Spektrum account, and my home wifi with metronet here in Minnesota is also time tested. I also suspect that other earlier reports may have been issues related to connecting or Spektrum logon. In any case the NX10 is cool... although I 'can' use micro SD cards for the same purpose I was able to transfer my unit serial number to Spektrum registration, download the .sax file, and install a firmware update without having to futz with my computer, nor with SD cards! ?

I'll continue to keep you guys posted as I continue to test; I have yet to fly an actual RC model with this controller yet... just simulator play so far... and a ton of fun.

marcus

PS edit: firmware version updates (from the Spektrum site)

NX10 V3.04.01 17 February 2021

NX10 V3.03.03 23 December 2020

My unit shipped with a prior firmware to 3.03.03; probably 3.02.01, which could not be verified since the NX10 does not show the last two digits of the firmware version. I have attached a copy of the NXAirWare Log below.

PSS edit: V3.03.03 was the big change! This may be why the NX10 was backlogged for so long this past winter... the units are now shipping with the first version update that gets past all the early level glitches! yay.

Attachments

• SpektrumNXAirWareChangeLog (1).pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Update: Color Palette

Several built-in color palettes (including custom) are available; this allows for a different look-n-feel for the simulator vs real planes... or between helis and planes. Also, if you just happen to like the classic black-n-white setup from the DX line, its there too !

Update: Micro SD card|reader (buggy)

I ran into some minor snags trying to use the micro SD reader|writer. If the SD card is formatted and initial directories are placed on the card with a computer, the reader will navigate to the directory 'once' from power-up and then export the serial number file, or an aircraft .NSPM file; however, the SD card firmware is buggy yet... the reader has trouble navigating to the directory structure of the card after a write, and after exporting a single file a reread of the current directory gets an ERROR.

After power-down I placed the SD card back into my computer. The card was undamaged, the directory structure was readable, and the two files I created (export serial number, and Sim Acro .NSPM file) were 'there' , correctly written, and readable.

I'm disappointed to find the bugs, but will work with HH to submit a bug report and help the developers get it fixed. I should note that I used a SanDisk class 10 card (high speed) 32 Gb. It doesn't need to be that fast and the SD tutorial recommends class 6 or less and something less than 32 Gb. So, I may be trying a couple of other cards as well.

Update: Internal Storage BNF planes

The 'internal storage has been working great... the directory 'BNF' contains the various known aircraft config files from HH E-Flite Hangar 9 etc. The internal storage can be accessed with the SD card utilities, as well the usb cable to a computer.

marcus

The attached file is the ( .NSPM ) configuration file for my Generic Simulator Acro model. The file is a 'text' file and may be opened with notepad on Windows, or other text based editor.

marcus

Attachments

• NX10 NSPM Files Aircraft Configs.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 23
Update: Color Palette

Several built-in color palettes (including custom) are available; this allows for a different look-n-feel for the simulator vs real planes... or between helis and planes. Also, if you just happen to like the classic black-n-white setup from the DX line, its there too !

Update: Micro SD card|reader (buggy)

I ran into some minor snags trying to use the micro SD reader|writer. If the SD card is formatted and initial directories are placed on the card with a computer, the reader will navigate to the directory 'once' from power-up and then export the serial number file, or an aircraft .NSPM file; however, the SD card firmware is buggy yet... the reader has trouble navigating to the directory structure of the card after a write, and after exporting a single file a reread of the current directory gets an ERROR.

After power-down I placed the SD card back into my computer. The card was undamaged, the directory structure was readable, and the two files I created (export serial number, and Sim Acro .NSPM file) were 'there' , correctly written, and readable.

I'm disappointed to find the bugs, but will work with HH to submit a bug report and help the developers get it fixed. I should note that I used a SanDisk class 10 card (high speed) 32 Gb. It doesn't need to be that fast and the SD tutorial recommends class 6 or less and something less than 32 Gb. So, I may be trying a couple of other cards as well.

Update: Internal Storage BNF planes

The 'internal storage has been working great... the directory 'BNF' contains the various known aircraft config files from HH E-Flite Hangar 9 etc. The internal storage can be accessed with the SD card utilities, as well the usb cable to a computer.

marcus
Marcus: Sir I'm happy for you getting that new NX10 to work well. I have an older DX8G2. Ref: your SD card comment was an eye opener. While I could off-load the S/N to get it registered, I couldn't get it to update firmware of languages or sounds. I used a 32Gb Micro SD Class 10, in an SD adapter, and when inserted, all the screen did was say Spektrum, and the data bar never moved even after an hour. I found a 4Gb, Class 4 Micro card set on eBay for real cheap. Came today. Went to SpektrumRC, got the latest updates, copied to thi card, installed in DX8, and Bingo, within 45 seconds, it was all done ! My thanks for the hint.20210630_153524.jpg20210630_153553.jpg

You're most welcome... good to see it worked; gonna try one for myself too and see if the NX10 does better that way. Good job; well done.

marcus

Glad I can return the favors. Paste this into the eBay search bar " Unirex 4GB Micro SD Card with USB Reader and SD Adaptor | MSU-042 ". Too bad eBay blocks copying their web links. You've helped me often. See you in the air sometime.

Glad I can return the favors. Paste this into the eBay search bar " Unirex 4GB Micro SD Card with USB Reader and SD Adaptor | MSU-042 ". Too bad eBay blocks copying their web links. You've helped me often. See you in the air sometime.
Its on order; I'll post back the results-- no fault expectations and thanks for the feedback and tip

marcus

Just received brand new NX10 to replace my battered DX9 after 4 years of 3d flying...

It's exceeded my my expectations and and worked flawlessly straight out of the box, everything updated perfectly didn't even need to take the SD card out what came with it.
Definitely highly recommend upgrading.

Transferred my old model from old DX9 via usb to pc didn't even have to remove SD card and everything worked perfectly including Telemetry settings, Voice commands mixing etc...

PXL_20220930_113218944~2.jpg
My only issue is it doesn't seem to be recognised in my REALFLIGHT 7.5 but I had read it only works with Realflight 8 onwards...

My Question....is this True in only works with REALFLIGHT 8 and up??
It certainly didn't show up as NX in the ' Select Controller ' not anything else.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Yes - RF 8 was the first to use the Windows joystick drivers for an interface, before that it needs the dedicated RF Controller.
IF you can connect it to a PC and it shows up as a Gamepad/Joystick device, you can then use it for the new(er) version of RF that you may get. Many, however, like the additional functionality of the current RF Controller better than using their "real" radio.

Yes - RF 8 was the first to use the Windows joystick drivers for an interface, before that it needs the dedicated RF Controller.
IF you can connect it to a PC and it shows up as a Gamepad/Joystick device, you can then use it for the new(er) version of RF that you may get. Many, however, like the additional functionality of the current RF Controller better than using their "real" radio.
Thank you for your Reply.
Yeah i stopped using my Spektrum DX9 because there was definitely latency...but I'm hoping because the new USB type connection from the NX10 it'll be far better...
I've just ordered Realflight 9.5S
I just hope my 14 year old laptop can manage it.
May have to finally upgrade that too...
Electronics moves on...eventually đź‘Ť

RealFlight 9.5 with the NX10 Field Radio from Spektrum

Well today has been a 'pretty good day' flying the [@technoid] Goldberg Super Chipmunk for much of the afternoon using the new NX10 field radio from Spektrum as simulator controller; what a day! This NX10 field transmitter and simulator control interface has exceeded all expectations. This radio is a keeper!

As much as possible I tried to keep the setup as 'out of box' as I could just to see how much has been done for the user; and its a bundle joy, requiring very little change from the default 'Acro' setup! Everything is where you might expect it, and it all just works... this is a huge improvement for Spektrum's marketing strategy, and for the RealFlight community. I can't say enough, but I'm going to try!

The NX10 may be used directly as a RealFlight 9.5 simulator controller via the supplied usb charging cable (has mag mount). In this setup the radio frequency power output is suspended and the NX10 is 'wired' usb similar to the InterlinkDX controller interface. I wired mine via 3' usb extension cable. My only criticism (and its minor) is that the supplied usb cable is a tad short... but not a problem.

The usb interface must be activated; this simple operation sets the HID to Game Controller, and also quiesces the radio frequency power output. The USB Settings menu is found near the end of the System Setup menu and gives the user access to the internal storage and the Game Controller option. (click pic to enlarge)

View attachment 124856

Once the usb Game Controller option has been activated the NX10 field radio will appear to Windows 10, in Other Devices, as 'Spektrum Radio'. The NX10 [main screen] will now indicate that the simulator interface is active, and that the rf has been turned off. (click pic to enlarge)

View attachment 124857

Much can be changed, added, modified (etc) and I'll cover some of that in a later post; everything mostly just works, and works the way you would expect it to... flaps are on 'D', mode chnl (8) is on 'B' (super chipmunk's sliding canopy), gear and smoke is on 'A', and the interface is setup for mode 2 flight. The simulator (with 9.5 and latest updates) auto detects the 'Spektrum Radio' and selects the controller 'Spektrum NX Series (wired usb)'. Mine worked well 'out of box' but I went through the 'select controller editor' calibration process (very easy, and a good idea).

There were no surprises, I have no complaints, and I've had a ton of fun! The 'Acro' default model places the 'knob' on Aux3. I changed this right away by reassigning momentary switch 'I' to Aux3. I then set this button to be the 'RESET' option in the select controller editor. In this way the transmitter's 'bind button' may be used as the simulator's 'crash reset' (spacebar on the keyboard).

This new NX10 is simply superb; hands down, its fabulous! Spektrum, nice job! Of course I'll be tweaking my new simulator controller with 3 axis DR/Expo, and renaming the 'Acro' model to something better like 'Simulator Generic Plane'. Anyway, when I get it finished I'll be uploading the config file here for easy access.

marcus
I find the fly in the ointment is a usb a to c adapter that seems to break things if you have a usbc only computer! The controls seem to get scrambled.

Back