RealFlight 9.5

They need to make a significant improvement in graphics quality for me to cheer, more planes aren't important to me at all. But I understand people learning to fly want the latest planes in RealFlight so they can fly them. So I sit back and and wait for something to cheer about.

The elephant in the room with this upgrade is that the graphics API DX 9 isn't it? DX 9 is 10 years old and requires too many graphics callout for it to work efficiently or utilise more cores. This is why VR stutters as DX 9 simply is old and inefficient. This is just a marketing hype release to have something new and shiny to sell when really its just simply a wash and polish. I hardly use this sim anymore as I am waiting for RF 10 to come around again.

I'm a newbe, just purchased RF9.5 with DXS Transmitter and WS2000 Dongle. I have two questions:
1. How do I change flight modes from Beginner to Intermediate, etc?
2. I have RF version 9.50.015, when I open it the welcome page says I have an upgrade to 0.38 available. Instructions for upgrading in manual say look under "additional options". I cannot find this button anywhere. Where is it or how else can the upgrade be installed.

I'm a newbe, just purchased RF9.5 with DXS Transmitter and WS2000 Dongle. I have two questions:
2. I have RF version 9.50.015, when I open it the welcome page says I have an upgrade to 0.38 available. Instructions for upgrading in manual say look under "additional options". I cannot find this button anywhere. Where is it or how else can the upgrade be installed.
(1) changing flight modes depends on the aircraft model you're flying; but, typically the mode is on Radio Profile channel (8) and is typically input from transmitter switch|channel (B).

(2) upgrading is very simple; use the "Launcher9" icon, and click on the "Upgrade". It takes just a couple minutes, and is painless (mostly).

marcus

1. I think you want "Simulation" then "Physics" from the top menu.
2. What Marcus said....

1. I think you want "Simulation" then "Physics" from the top menu.
Maybe. The OP did not ask how to change the primary physics settings; they asked how to change the flight modes from 'beginner' to 'intermediate' etc? Physics difficulty is something different than flight modes like SAFE, Intermediate, AS3X, Agility, etc.

Again, the flight 'mode' is changed on Radio Profile channel (8) and is usually assigned input from transmitter switch | channel (B). Some models have a flight 'mode' input which has different visual efficacious behavior(s) depending on the model (planes) or type (helis). Most of the STS models, many of the E-Flite models, etc; however, many of the models use the mode channel for other things like guns, bombs, sometimes smoke; etc.

Some of the confusion is that similar to the sailing term 'tack', 'flight mode' in the RC hobby (and in the simulator for sure) can mean so many different things depending on context. When I think 'changing' flight mode I'm thinking on-the-fly 'switch' and that implies the mode channel (8).

marcus

Last edited:
I have RF9.5 with DXS SPRM 1010 Mode 2 Transmitter (7 channel) and WS2000 Dongle. Everything appears to work, however< I do not know how to change Flight Modes (Beginner to Intermediate to advanced). Since my transmitter is only 7 channel cannot use CH8

I have RF9.5 with DXS SPRM 1010 Mode 2 Transmitter (7 channel) and WS2000 Dongle. Everything appears to work, however< I do not know how to change Flight Modes (Beginner to Intermediate to advanced). Since my transmitter is only 7 channel cannot use CH8
Best thing to do is get a Spektrum Interlink DX controller imho.

There is some confusion here because most aircraft do not have a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced setting that is switch selectable. None that I know of. Instead, I believe that you are talking about the Program's Physics Setting. Look for that on the menu inside Real Flight. Most of us ignore that feature. We prefer to fly with Real-World physics settings.

hi, the ch8 is NOT your transmitter channel 8. It is the Radio Profile (Sim) channel 8. You set one of your switches on the DXS ( I suggest B ) and then input that switch for the Radio Profile channel (8) for mode. Then, when ( using keyboard 0 ) to set your mode ( SAFE AS3x ) (Beginner Intermediate Agility) etc you will use switch (B). I hope you are using the upgrade to RealFlight9 Rf9.5.038. This upgrade has a Radio Profile setup specifically for the DXS (first time).
If however you have been speaking of the Beginner Intermediate Expert Custom physics settings ( most of us don't use those settings because we want real world physics ) then as @Flapper has said, use 'Simulation' 'Physics'

marcus

You can use the computer keyboard to operate many of the functions above the 7 channels that you have.
The keys are the Y U I and O. They toggle channels 5-8.
There is also command help by pressing Shift+~ then type help

Last edited:
hi, the ch8 is NOT your transmitter channel 8. It is the Radio Profile (Sim) channel 8. You set one of your switches on the DXS ( I suggest B ) and then input that switch for the Radio Profile channel (8) for mode. Then, when ( using keyboard 0 ) to set your mode ( SAFE AS3x ) (Beginner Intermediate Agility) etc you will use switch (B). I hope you are using the upgrade to RealFlight9 Rf9.5.038. This upgrade has a Radio Profile setup specifically for the DXS (first time).
If however you have been speaking of the Beginner Intermediate Expert Custom physics settings ( most of us don't use those settings because we want real world physics ) then as @Flapper has said, use 'Simulation' 'Physics'

marcus
Not much point in using this forum anymore since only after a few months of joining this forum you seem to think you are the god of all knowledge (which you are far from imho) and I have no desire to keep correcting you, or pointing people to previous posts that better cover your responses. Plus you seem the need to paste your silly, ugly mug as well, lol!

marcus
Many Thanks, I would never have figured this out by myself

Anybody heard if RealFlight has hired a developer, or if anyone applied. They are asking for 10+ years of experience with C+++. That kind of experience may come with a good price tag ... YES ?

We don’t usually get much info about new hires. Hopefully they will get someone to help the RF team take this software beyond dx9.

I sure hope they found someone because RF really needs to move beyond DX9. And yes graphics engine developers don't come cheap. We hired one back in the day, when I worked for Pixel Semiconductor, and he was the best paid guy there. I did the level 3 code he was down at level 0, the hardware level.

Back