Realflight for Mac

50%plane

I haven't been on RF for a while after I upgraded to a Mac... Really wish Realflight would release a version for a native Mac system...

I'm not asking how to ruin my mac with Windows(I have) but I'm asking why the #1 RC flight simulator isn't sold in a Mac version the way other RC simulators are. After all, the Mac is the #1 consumer choice...

in cell phones ..ok I'll give apple the nod
in quality products..ok I'll give apple the nod

#1 consumer choice ....who said that ? apple?...I Know 10 maybe fifteen PC users for every 1mac user .....so how do you figure it a #1 consumer choice ?..
even if that were true ....then why so many mac users using parallels or Bootcamp to run windows
yet
honestly I have never met or even heard of a windows user trying to run Apples OS or software?
Does a virtual mac program similar to Bootcamp even exist for windows users?

Maybe you could resist that fanboy stuff if you want help here. Go buy AeroFly if you want a native running simulator.

I'm not asking how to ruin my mac with Windows(I have) but I'm asking why the #1 RC flight simulator isn't sold in a Mac version the way other RC simulators are. After all, the Mac is the #1 consumer choice...

Sure does if you hack OSX. I have Hackintosh on a virtual machine and my old Dell XPS 1530 laptop had a hard drive I could swap for it. I did it just to do it though as its useless to me as a OS. Can't do anything with it as all the software I care about is for Windows. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that unless someplace freezes over there will never ever be a Mac version of RealFlight. There is a very limited market for this software to begin with and even a smaller number of Mac people using Realflight. In this forum I would say there are 6 active people in the last year that use Realflight on a Mac.

Last edited:
in cell phones ..ok I'll give apple the nod
in quality products..ok I'll give apple the nod

#1 consumer choice ....who said that ? apple?...I Know 10 maybe fifteen PC users for every 1mac user .....so how do you figure it a #1 consumer choice ?..
even if that were true ....then why so many mac users using parallels or Bootcamp to run windows
yet
honestly I have never met or even heard of a windows user trying to run Apples OS or software?

I'm not trying to debate which is better, in fact, cell phone wise, I like my Samsung. However, I do not know anyone who has purchased a PC in the last three years. I do know about 40 people that have purchased/switched to mac over this time.(myself included)

Maybe you could resist that fanboy stuff if you want help here. Go buy AeroFly if you want a native running simulator.
this thread is a request to Knife Edge to make a Mac version. I know a bunch of RC pilots that would buy it.
Sure does if you hack OSX. I have Hackintosh on a virtual machine and my old Dell XPS 1530 laptop had a hard drive I could swap for it. I did it just to do it though as its useless to me as a OS. Can't do anything with it as all the software I care about is for Windows. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that unless someplace freezes over there will never ever be a Mac version of RealFlight. There is a very limited market for this software to begin with and even a smaller number of Mac people using Realflight. In this forum I would say there are 6 active people in the last year that use Realflight on a Mac.
There may be 6 people on this forum, but there are many outside this forum that would buy it. ;)

Also, not many people load $300 worth of software on their computer to run windows as it would open up a secure platform to many possible windows-based issues.

Do you really think that posting a message in a user to user forum will actually get you anywhere? It has been suggested many times over the years... I don't see it yet. If you really wanted action, you would take the time to learn the name of the person in charge and send him/them a written letter talking about it.

You are asking the company to start over from scratch and design a product to run on your OS. Throw away a heck of a lot of code that they are currently getting revenue from and take a chance on possibly/maybe getting a few iOS/Linux customers and from that point onwards having to support two versions of the product. I think that you are asking a lot.

What support do you have for your thinking that it would sell a lot of copies? Have you done anything, a poll, a list of a group willing to purchase?

I think that the bootcamp or Parallels emulators are going to be the best you can expect for the next couple of years. If Win was to loose major market share, then maybe.

Hey... it's your idea. If you can prove to them that they can make money doing it, I am sure that they will listen.
Good Luck

Last edited:
When directx 9 works on a Mac natively then maybe someday in the far future we might see some traction on this.

There are a few that have got parallels to work though.

Last edited:
csgill
very few
and judging by those that have posted here ....only after pulling teeth
funny how none of them come back after getting it to work in parallels to explain how ...as far as I can recall ?

12'o
Fanboy?..no not at all
The numbers of users for each platform and availability of software for each speaks for itself
now if you want to talk about fan boys...go talk to a Linux user !

half plane..
Like csgill said all of the software I like are windows based
if everything was available for Mac.... I'd switch in a heartbeat without even thinking about it ... because as you stated Macs ARE more secure , that's a fact
But I would not switch and then use Bootcamp or parallels to run windows for the same security concerns you have ....for me that would defeat the purpose of switching in the first place

However I will admit many of my old professional photographer colleagues and friends that made the switch from film to digital and most of whom have used both platforms give the nod to apple hands down...and I've heard the same from a few of my musician friends as well............and now that I think about it , those 2 groups of people are the only Mac users that I personally know (face to face in the RW)on an apple platform....

And I only know 1 fan boy...errr..... I mean Linux user ..
just one....
unkempt...bitter little troll in his little hobble hole
Lonely and delusional
In his own little Linux world ...
Paranoid
half muttering to himself ...
as to why everybody's out to get him
and as to why the world ignores his self perceived , yet totally obvious genius...........
you get the picture......

Attachments

• picasion.com_b70ce149ac87b6e42e7ae86fe3bfaedd.gif
    picasion.com_b70ce149ac87b6e42e7ae86fe3bfaedd.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I think this topic can/should be discussed in a rational manner. Yes, the Apple has it's place in some niches of commerce. At the moment, I am considering a iPad for use as a moving map to display air charts and airport taxi-ways. Yes Apple did at one point lead all others in photography both still and motion. I don't think the same dominance exists today. Apple once was the only thing used in schools. I don't see that today.

Software is software, hardware is hardware. The programmer chooses either the best tool or the one he is most familiar with to develop. Again market pressure will determine the future.

When it comes to personal preferences, nothing is EVER rational! :D

The problem with WHICH platform to support is the "lowest common denominator".

And the "LCD" here are cheap laptops.

Realflight still manages to run on cheap Intel Integrated Graphics laptops, something the other sims have left behind.

That gives Knifeedge a larger user base.

While a native Mac version would be nice, you could expect to see such a thing around the same time you see a native Linux version too, because of underlying OS code similiarities ( the Macs run BSD Unix after all ). That MIGHT occur sometime after an Android release.

You'll see that just before the sun engulfs the earth as it swells into it's Red Giant state in the future.

consumers #1 choice? never at that price point they come in ... I use it in parallels though and works ok

Well you can add a 7th Mac man here! I have Windows 7 loaded via Boot Camp on my iMac desktop and it runs Real Flight 7 just beautifully. When I want to revert to my Mac apps I can do so via a single click, though it does have to reboot the computer to the Mac OS disk partition.

Well you can add a 7th Mac man here! I have Windows 7 loaded via Boot Camp on my iMac desktop and it runs Real Flight 7 just beautifully. When I want to revert to my Mac apps I can do so via a single click, though it does have to reboot the computer to the Mac OS disk partition.

Number 8 here...

I have a 27-inch iMac (late 2013) and I would love to run RealFlight Natively... although it DOES run fine on my BootCamp partition... I just hate switching back and forth... for instance... I'm doing a rendering right now on my Mac, and I would love to play with my RealFlight to kill the time while waiting, but I can't because i'd have to reboot to windows... meh

Back