Realflight for Mac

Number 9..
Running bootcamp and works great. But as previous posters I would love not to waste a 60Gb partition on my precious 256Gb SSD just to be able to use RF.. ;)

I am sure KE will be creating a Mac OS version just as soon as directx is supported natively by the OS...:rolleyes:

I do know Apple makes some really great hardware and their computers make great PC's :p. The Mac Pro is really a great workstation. It's just that pesky operating system that lets them down when it comes to playing games on them.

Last edited:
I use G7 on my Macbook air with VM Fusion 6 and it runs awesome. RF on mac would be a waste of their time. User base for mac is miniscule.

I also use RF7 on a MBP using Fusion 6. I suspect I would have better performance if I went to bootcamp, but for flying on a laptop, it's acceptable.

I also use RF7 on a MBP using Fusion 6. I suspect I would have better performance if I went to bootcamp, but for flying on a laptop, it's acceptable.

What are the specs on your MBP? I'm really interested in as many details as you can provide.

I registered here specifically to answer a question just like this. Will RF7 work on Fusion on my MBP retina? I'm a very technical computer user, but completely new to RC sims. I understand how VMs work vs Bootcamp. I don't want to use Bootcamp if I can avoid it. I know no one can answer definitively whether this will work on my specific gear, I'm just hoping to get some anecdotes so it's not a blind guess.

As I understand it, with RF7 the USB interface works just fine, I believe problems are strictly around the graphics performance in a VM vs native (which is why Bootcamp works flawlessly). What I would really like to do is "try it before I buy it". Phoenix provides a little "demo" exe that doesn't let you control any models, but just runs several aircraft and scenes through canned flights. It lets you pick the graphics level and you can judge results for yourself. Does RF7 have anything like this? To be clear, I'm not trying to get the software for free, I'm trying to figure out whether it will run in my desired config. I haven't found anything like this so I thought I would ask users here. I'm running on a current generation i7 MBP retina with only the integrated graphics (that's the part that is likely going to kill this whole idea).

I don't expect KnifeEdge to call this "supported". I get that running in a VM isn't supported so I get what I get.

Thank for any help

Please report back how it goes.

It seems that everyone who reports success with Realflight in a VM never says another word after that.... it makes one wonder.

What are the specs on your MBP? I'm really interested in as many details as you can provide.

I registered here specifically to answer a question just like this. Will RF7 work on Fusion on my MBP retina?

As I understand it, with RF7 the USB interface works just fine, I believe problems are strictly around the graphics performance in a VM vs native (which is why Bootcamp works flawlessly).

I'm running on a current generation i7 MBP retina with only the integrated graphics (that's the part that is likely going to kill this whole idea).

I don't expect KnifeEdge to call this "supported". I get that running in a VM isn't supported so I get what I get.

Thank for any help

Hello,

I am running a current generation MBP retina with the Nvidia graphics so mine should run in the VM somewhat better than yours with just the Intel. I'm running Fusion 6 (have to look at the VM settings to see how I have memory, and CPUs set up but it's not set abnormally high). The performance is not as stellar as it is in BootCamp but it's fine for me. Currently, I run 3 things in the VM: RF7, Phoenix 5, and my finance program.

As recommended by someone else, you could try running the RF 6 demo to see what you think. That and a demo of Fusion or Parallels, you should be able to try for nothing before buying your copy of Windows, Fusion (or Parallels) and RF. You do save on the VM software if you go with Bootcamp and for serious gamers that is the way to go.

VMware Fusion 6.0.3 runs RealFlight 6 demo.

Please report back how it goes.

It seems that everyone who reports success with Realflight in a VM never says another word after that.... it makes one wonder.

I had a Win8 VM and Fusion setup already so I gave the demo a try.

Success! The RealFlight 6 demo works. It says it is using "high" settings and something about "at the expense of graphics quality" I played around with a few models (using the keyboard) destroyed them in spectacular fashion and it looked fine for what I want. The fans on the laptop go crazy pretty quick, unless I'm using an external monitor. That's something I've notice with my laptop and other applications though.
Setup:
I have the recent (late 2013) 15" MacBook Pro Retina. 16GB of RAM 2.6Ghz i7 CPU. It has only the Intel 5200 integrated graphics. This is an odd configuration, yes I'm sure I don't have the nVidia discrete graphics.

The VM has 4GB of RAM, 2 cores (you don't usually want to use a multi-CPU VM unless you have good reasons, I occasionally run things in this VM that really benefits from >1 cores). 3D acceleration turned on. The OS is Win 8.1. I just installed DirectX 9 from Microsoft's site. I run the VM full-screen, but the demo was running in a full-size window in the VM (so I could access the RF menu, remember, this is my first time using the program)

Ok, both Phoenix and RF 6 demos worked for me in Fusion. I'm not a gamer so maybe I'm not critical enough of the gfx performance, but it looked more than good enough at the default setting the demo selected without the frame rate stuttering. Based on this, I'm convinced I should be able to get either RF7 or Phoenix to work. There is still the USB dongle. I haven't run across a USB device that failed in VM in a long time, but I know it's possible.

Of course native performance would be better, but this is good enough for me and much more convenient. If I decide to go with RF7, I'll put up a separate post describing the setup. I'd like to profile the performance in more detail to know how much RAM is really required and see how it runs on a single virtual core. I can also answer whatever questions people have about running in Fusion if they need help. I'm a long time VMware user and really familiar with their products.

UPDATE: The How-to on Fusion post is here

Last edited:
Kirby,

Sounds good. I'll take some of your existing notes on VM settings and see how they compare to what I am running. Let us know if you have some settings that seem to work better.

Bought Realflght 7 and I'm just getting it set up. As expected from the RF6 demo, it works fine. The graphics settings were automatically set at "medium" and I go go to "high" I get stuttering consistently when panning side to side. I'm using an external 1600x1200 monitor with the Intel Iris integrated card. Fans kick on pretty loud, but not louder than the motor of the model I'm trying to fly :)

I'll bet you'll get better performance under Bootcamp.

Completely agree, but I'm so new that I'm happy with this for now. I just need practice! What would likely make the biggest difference would be getting hold of a macbook with the discrete nvidia card.

Last post from this thread dated 5/14/14...Any chance you guys can provide an update as of today? I just bought RF9.5 and have a 2014 MacAir. Thoughts were to buy a newer Air (as I need anyway) and get Parallels or buy a cheap PC laptop just for RF. If you have any suggestions on what would work PC wise for the cheapest amount that would be great. Thx.

Last post from this thread dated 5/14/14...Any chance you guys can provide an update as of today? I just bought RF9.5 and have a 2014 MacAir. Thoughts were to buy a newer Air (as I need anyway) and get Parallels or buy a cheap PC laptop just for RF. If you have any suggestions on what would work PC wise for the cheapest amount that would be great. Thx.
RealFlight9 does not run on Macs native. It could run in a container (on Windows) an a Mac; but not worth the trouble. I have multiple Linux|GNU systems, and several Macs, and I chose to purchase a Windows notebook (first in thirty years) to dedicate to RealFlight9. I chose the Dell G5 15 5500.

marcus

Sure does if you hack OSX. I have Hackintosh on a virtual machine and my old Dell XPS 1530 laptop had a hard drive I could swap for it. I did it just to do it though as its useless to me as a OS. Can't do anything with it as all the software I care about is for Windows. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that unless someplace freezes over there will never ever be a Mac version of RealFlight. There is a very limited market for this software to begin with and even a smaller number of Mac people using Realflight. In this forum I would say there are 6 active people in the last year that use Realflight on a Mac.
Make that 7,, Or I am attempting to. I am no way a fan boy of Apple but the reason for my shift to apple about 10 yrs ago was that fact of encrypted computer right out that gate with the highest security against bugs and viruses. I had countless Windows computer and at age 45 I have had my share of apples. Once it's learned apples are great, but problems like this arise with software. I hear I should use Boot Camp to run the RealFlight Simulator or should I just use a different Sim all together? Will the other simulator work with my DX6e controller?
Thanks for all the help.
Much appreciated.

I just installed realfight evolution via Parallels and it works pretty good. The only issue I am having is that it crashes when trying to change airfields. I have updated the Directx and the latest parallels 19. any help would be much appreciated.

Back