RealFlight G3 graphics card support

Well I stopped the crashing! My PC that is.

Well I must say I was frustrated will my old PC not handling G3. I went out and bought my parts and built a new one. I got the Intel Dual core E6600 processor with 2 Gigs of ram and an GeForce 7900 GT OC. Now G3 works fine. I can finally concentrate on flying. It's a shame it takes so much PC power to run this thing. The graphics are awesome though. :D

new Comp

Ok, I bought G3 installed it on this computer, but like everyone else, my video card wouldn't support. Well, now i'm getting a new computer, please tell me if it will work or if i'm screwed again.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor E6400 (2.13GHZ 1066 FSB)
Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 Mhz - 2 Dimms
250GB Serial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive (7200 Rpms) W/data burst Cache
256MB nVida GeForce 7300LE TurboCache

Will this do?

opjose said:
No...

Turbocache is a misnomer for shared memory scheme. Something which is NOT preferable for G3.

Shared memory borrows slower main RAM memory from the system for video use.

A card with dedicated memory is preferable and produces far better performance with larger texture sizes.

If anything "turbocache" is something to be avoided... it's a marketing ploy.

The 6200 is a DX8 compliant card, so you are getting "ok" performance because many of the advanced features are being disabled by the drivers to compensate.

It should run, but as stated, not ideal to have shared memory.

I am looking for a new video card to replace my current "MSI FX5200 128MB DDR" card and could use some input.
My current card works ok with G3 but I have noticed some hesitation in the graphics, even when using the Photo Fields, since I installed Expansion Pack #1. I would like to be able to increase the graphic settings in G3 from their current settings.
I am running a P4 2.4GHz HT CPU on a MSI 865PE Neo2 motherboard with 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR 400 ram (dual channel I think but not sure).

I plan on adding another Gig of system ram once I am sure that I am running a single Dimm or a pair. I am trying to stay within a $200 budget for the video card and staying with a nVida chipset. Not going ATI. I am not a serious gamer and G3 is the only thing that I run that pushes my system, so I don't need a super $300-$500 video card.

I have found a few cards that I am currently considering and would like some input from those that have tried these or similar cards. I will post links to the cards so you can view the specs for yourself.

256MB Cards

BFG GeForce 6800 GS OC / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV Out

XFX GeForce 6800 Xtreme / 256MB GDDR3 / AGP 8x / Dual DVI / HDTV / Video Card

512MB Cards

XFX GeForce 7600 GS / 512MB GDDR2 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / HDTV

BFG GeForce 7600 GS OC / 512MB GDDR2 / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV Out

Thanks,
Carl :)

At Newegg, you have a choice of 7900GS boards for under 200 bucks. Quite a bit faster than a 7600GT, way faster than a 7600 GS or 6800 series.
I chose the Leadtek card, VERY pleased. Easy to overclock and get close to stock 7900GT performance. Runs at full settings with AA and AF at a good framerate. (On my AMD 64 3800+ (2.9 ghz), getting over 100 FPS on photofields, in the 50's for 3d fields)

Last edited:
Unfortunately Newegg is in the US and I'm in Canada. I haven't been able to find any 7900GS cards from any of the Canadian online stores yet. Found a couple 7800GS cards but they are all over $300 Cnd. I am also limited to an AGP card.

Something will come up eventually. :D

freakyreef said:
At Newegg, you have a choice of 7900GS boards for under 200 bucks. Quite a bit faster than a 7600GT, way faster than a 7600 GS or 6800 series.
I chose the Leadtek card, VERY pleased. Easy to overclock and get close to stock 7900GT performance. Runs at full settings with AA and AF at a good framerate. (On my AMD 64 3800+ (2.9 ghz), getting over 100 FPS on photofields, in the 50's for 3d fields)

Yes very nice cards!

New PC, what card

I just finished rebuilding a pc and would like to know what video card would give the best operation for RealFlight G-3. In this pc I updated mobo, cpu, memory & power supply:

Giga-Byte K8 Triton series AGP8X Mobo GA-K8U w/ 2.40 gig. AMD Athlon 64
(128 kb primary mem. cache, 256 secondary me3m. cache)

2048 gig installed memory (DDR 400) can update 1 gig more.
Buss Clock 200 meg (memory may be running only 333 due to type
modules used.

Win XP w/sp2 and all patches (build 2600)

Viewswonic VA902b monitor

Realtek AC 97 Audio (probably need to replace this also)

The current video card is not compatable with G-3, this is why I am looking for a card that will work with this system and show good operation. If more info is needed, please ask. thanks for any help anyone can give. I am not tooooo concerned about cost, not rich, but would like a good card. I am currently running Realflight on a second system right now, but would like to use the new one.

John RB

Last edited:
Out of these two types of cards which is a better buy?

Nvidia 6800 GT / 256mb / GDDR3 ---- (mfg. MSI) This one is used and they want around $240 Cnd for it.

or

Nvidia 7600 GS OC / 512mb / GDDR2 ---- (mfg. BFG) This one is new and is under $200 Cnd.

Carl

Last edited:
Beezer, out of the 2 mentioned, I would go with the 7600 GS. Price for a used 6800 card seems pretty high, even for Canada. I just did a quick check and found a 7600 GT XXX edition at Tiger direct Cananda for under $200.00 Faster than either of the 2 you mentioned.

jhall said:
So... exactly how many people are buying G3 and then realizing that their video hardware is not compatible? I have the ATI Radeon 7500 in my Compaq laptop and this is the first graphics application that won't work on it. Congratulations.

Yeah....and your automobile doesn't eat hay....how sad :)

Cheers.

Jollyroger said:
Ok, I bought G3 installed it on this computer, but like everyone else, my video card wouldn't support. Well, now i'm getting a new computer, please tell me if it will work or if i'm screwed again.

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 Mhz - 2 Dimms
250GB Serial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive (7200 Rpms) W/data burst Cache
256MB nVida GeForce 7300LE TurboCache

Will this do?

In a word -- it will work but you won't be happy with it.

I have virtually an identical system:
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - PC2 4200
(2)250GB Serial ATA 3GB/s Hard Drive (7200 Rpms) W/data burst Cache
256MB nVida GeForce 7300LE TurboCache -- actually this is a 64MB on board card, it shares upto 256MB of system memory.

I had to do 2 things to bring my BRAND NEW, Latest and Greatest, HP computer upto optimum level for Realflight G3.

1) Replaced the lame Nvidia GeForce 7300LE with a Coolpower Radeon X800 GT 256 PCIe card.
2) I also had to replace the lame 300watt power supply HP installed in this high-end computer with an Antec 480watt power supply.

Now I have many :) :) :) :) :) :)

I'm currently running G2 on my 4 year old Dell 8200. G2 works great, but I'm wondering if G3 or G3.5 will work. The video card is an nVidia Ti4200 64MB, which I think is a pretty good card (although a bit dated). Other specs: 2.53 Ghz Pentium 4; 512 MB RAM.

Kaos

You may be able to run it with Medium settings.

That video card is fairly dated and lacks video RAM forgetting the particle effects.

G3 REQUIRES a DX9 card and I believe the 4200 was a DX7 card brought out at the transition to DX8 (it's not really DX 8 compliant!).

Also your machine needs more memory...

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, I bought my Dell Dimension 8200 right at the time when RAMBUS RAM (RIMM's) were thought to be the up and coming great new memory. Since it eventually gave way to DDR RAM, RAMBUS RAM is very, very expensive. It would cost me about $560.00 (Crucial.com) to add just 512 MB of RAM, not to mention probably another $200.00 or so for an adequate video card. For twice that total cost, I could buy a pretty decent new computer system. Oh well, I got 4 years out of the 8200 without spending a dime on it for upgrades or repairs.

Kaos

Kaos said:
That's kind of what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, I bought my Dell Dimension 8200 right at the time when RAMBUS RAM (RIMM's) were thought to be the up and coming great new memory. Since it eventually gave way to DDR RAM, RAMBUS RAM is very, very expensive. It would cost me about $560.00 (Crucial.com) to add just 512 MB of RAM, not to mention probably another $200.00 or so for an adequate video card. For twice that total cost, I could buy a pretty decent new computer system. Oh well, I got 4 years out of the 8200 without spending a dime on it for upgrades or repairs.

Kaos
Is your ram 184 pin? My daughter's Pc is a dimension 3000 and i put the original 256mb chip out of my HP pc in her computer and it automatically recognized it and it sped her pc up very noticeably, Don't get fooled by all those dell ram modules, If it will fit,Try it..I learned this because my mother was wanting to speed up her dell and i started looking for ram online and the prices were rediculous! For some reason Dell is very deceiving about their ram from my experience, Which is why i would not buy another one ,My daughter's is fine,But all she does is music and email.I just get scared off easy when a company is deceiving like that. You might check into this..

Brian8474 said:
Is your ram 184 pin? My daughter's Pc is a dimension 3000 and i put the original 256mb chip out of my HP pc in her computer and it automatically recognized it and it sped her pc up very noticeably, Don't get fooled by all those dell ram modules, If it will fit,Try it..I learned this because my mother was wanting to speed up her dell and i started looking for ram online and the prices were rediculous! For some reason Dell is very deceiving about their ram from my experience, Which is why i would not buy another one ,My daughter's is fine,But all she does is music and email.I just get scared off easy when a company is deceiving like that. You might check into this..

Yes, they are 184-pin, but they are RIMM's, not DIMM's. RIMM's (RAMBUS RAM) are not interchangeable with DIMM's, unfortunately. Dell (and others) offered RIMM's in 2002 as the next generation of RAM advancement, but after a few months it became apparent the 184-pin DDR DIMM's were the hot ticket and RIMM's faded away. And since they are now a very low volume sales item, they are very expensive.

Kaos

Back