RealFlight G3 graphics card support

32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra

Hello there,

Do you plan to test the RFG3 with the 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra? I have this card on my computer, it works great but I'm unable to run RFG3.

Any suggestion? :confused:

Thank's, Damian.

damian said:
Hello there,

Do you plan to test the RFG3 with the 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra? I have this card on my computer, it works great but I'm unable to run RFG3.

Any suggestion? :confused:

Thank's, Damian.

Sorry to report this card is not sufficient to run RealFlight.

Thanks for the info, did you get the 256mb version or the 128mb? There's quite a difference in price between the two....

Kevin

I got the 128mb. Works a treat.

Runs with nearly everything on full with 35+ fps usually 40+

Look at www.tomshardware.com

There is a real performance uplift with this generation of card.

Should drop in price after Christmas. I couldnt wait though!

I just tried to install and got " Error creating effect TerrainDecalAddSigned" error and others. I have the OEM DELL GEforce2 MMX-Mx with video out card is that my problem?

Radeon 8500

My system with current Radeon 8500 Drivers does not work. I had to purchase a new card that supports DirectX9+ fully, not partially.

W99dey said:
Buy a 6800 to get real performance.

Anything less is a compramise!

Well, I just looked at the prices for a 6800 both 128 or 256m 8x type card and I guess that the rationale to have to spend anywhere between $300 to $600 for a new card to get G3 to run correctly with all the bells and whistles+ $200 for G3 has put me completely out of the market. I had a crummy experience with M$'s CFS3 that would never ever run smoothly and now is un-installed and sitting on a dusty shelf never to be used again unless I buy a top of the line 'puter when this one dies.
If I'm going to spend between $5-800 dollars I'm going to invest it in my Goldwing that I'm restoring.
Too bad KnifeEdge designed their software to be so much of a resource hog. I've truly enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the excellent G2 that I've had for almost 3 years. I don't fly real RC anymore so such is life.
I'm sad for the research and development team at KE but I can't understand releasing such an apparently buggy product. I realize we're only reading the dis-satisfied customers comments(except for the ever effervescent Slider :rolleyes: ) but frankly, I'm glad I didn't invest my hard earned cash for another buggy program, only to have to continuously have to tweak it and the computer to get it to run correctly.
I sincerely hope that this doesn't doom KnifeEdge because they've always been there for me back when I first got up and running. Seem like a bunch of nice folks and I hate to see the abuse that has been, right or wrong, doled out.
Just kinda had to get this off my chest.
I wish everyone a better New Year,
Hobiewan.......................out

Happy New Year Slider.
I knew you couldn't resist my not so obvious troll. :p
Yeah, I think that KE will keep on going, but it has been a little disconcerting that the program isn't as robust as I thought it would be.
Oh well.
I'll post some pics of my 'Wing after I get them back in my 'puter. Had a bad crash about a month ago and am rebuilding(computer, not bike :D ).
I'm going to wait until my 'ol computer kicks the bucket to upgrade anymore.
I've got a Ti4200 card, 350w powersupply, 1 GB of Ram(Rambus) and a stock Soundblaster sound system. Adequate for what I do in general.
My new interest is upgrading my '83 Goldwing Interstate, with 37000 miles on the clock. It's sweet and needs my attention. Even my ol' wife loves it :D
Have a good one folks. We're going to go out and enjoy a moderate amount of ADULT beverages. One tequila, Two tequila, Three tequila, FLOOOOOR!! :eek:
Hobiewan.......................................................out

Will The Radeon 7500 Work?

I have a Dell notebook with a ATI Radeon 7500 vedio card. Will this card work? I'v installed the software and do have the DirectX 9.0 but keep getting the error about creating grass or billboards.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the Radeon 7500 is not compatible with G3. While you may have DirectX 9.0 installed, the hardware does not support DirectX 9.0.

G3 --> G2, get in line

So... exactly how many people are buying G3 and then realizing that their video hardware is not compatible? I have the ATI Radeon 7500 in my Compaq laptop and this is the first graphics application that won't work on it. Congratulations.

jhall said:
So... exactly how many people are buying G3 and then realizing that their video hardware is not compatible? I have the ATI Radeon 7500 in my Compaq laptop and this is the first graphics application that won't work on it. Congratulations.

The requirements state that the graphics card must be DirectX 9 compatible. While you may install DirectX 9, the fact is that the Radeon 7000 and 7500 hardware does not support DirectX 9 functionality that is integral to running G3.

Better tell Tower Hobbies

Yes, and therein lies the confusion for some customers, I presume. By just saying "DirectX 9 compatible", most normal people would think that if they can install DirectX 9 without any problems that they are good to go. But hey, who am I to tell you guys how to market your product... the free market will tell you that soon enough.

This text is taken directly from the Tower Hobbies Tech Notes for G3:

LAPTOPS: The RealFlight software has been run successfully on many laptops.
Generally, laptops with the following video chipsets will run
RealFlight adequately under most conditions:
GeForce4 Go
ATI Radeon Mobility
Radeon 9000

So... I suppose I need to talk to Tower about returning G3 since they are the ones saying it will work with ATI Radeon Mobility, yes?

John

I think most people know that installing Direct X9 and having Direct X9 compatable hardware are 2 entirely different things, at least anyone whos a gamer.

peefiftyonefan said:
I think most people know that installing Direct X9 and having Direct X9 compatable hardware are 2 entirely different things, at least anyone whos a gamer.

Yeah, I'm sure most "gamers" know it. I thought this was software intended for RC Pilots looking to improve their skills... not gamers looking to try RC. I'm also sure that any RC Pilots that happen to also be gamers will not run into any system requirements issues... horray for that huge population.

Video Card

I have the RADEON X-300 Series and it runs it just fine. There is a couple of glitches right after startup but overall it is very good.

Back