RealFlight G5 Migration Tool for G4.5 users

Adam Taylor

Adam-inistrator
If you've upgraded to RealFlight G5 from G4.5, you can use this tool to migrate all of your custom / imported content from G4.5 with a single mouse click.

Note that custom aircraft with optimized physics for G4.5 may behave differently in G5. Additional editing may be required in order to get these to fly accurately.

Please download and run the program in the attached .zip file to get started.

Attachments

• RealFlight Migration Tool.zip
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,423
Great, though how about going from an XP install of G4.5 to a G5 install on Vista/Windows7 ?

Since the folder locations are changed between XP and Vista, this one is especially problematic.

Based on your post in the other thread it looks like this will work for G4.x but won't work for G3.x. Since G5 updates both versions it would be nice to incorporate updates for G3/4 on XP and Vista.

Thanks!

Great job of allowing older AC in 5!

Come on folks. We already know there were very big changes from 3.5 to 4.5 so planes cannot be easily brought over.

They did a great job of allowing us to have the Addon pack planes. So if you have all the addon planes and expansion pack planes in 4.5 you get them transferred over to 5.

That is more than adequate and I see absolutely nothing to complain about.

I see no complaints here.

However you may have missed the other thread where the original suggestion for this tool was raised.

I'm glad to see that KE was able to put something together to do so.

It would be nice for it to handle cross operatiing system migration as well as some of us with hundreds of installed planes have a VERY tedious time bringing things over.

Thanks,

Sweet little piece of software that will save me time so I can enjoy the new V5 faster and with all my moded aircraft!!!

Thanks
Joe C.

So, what did I miss?

New install on Windows 7. Installed 4.0, upgraded to 4.5 and then installed all my expansion packs.

Ran the upgrade to G5. Went fine.

Ran the migration tool and all I got was the 4 planes I had under custom. None of the expansion packs or the add ons got migrated.

Is this because I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit?

Can I just copy over the files from the data directory? (I somehow doubt that it would be that easy).

va3mw said:
Can I just copy over the files from the data directory? (I somehow doubt that it would be that easy).
It would be that easy, provided you know which new directory to put them in.

Excellent

After copying over the files I want to save, can I uninstall G4 to save space or are there some files that are shared?

M

Each version is a separate copy of the game and there is no interaction or shared files between the two. You do not need anything except G5.0, unless of course if you wish to fly an older version for some reason. I'm told one cannot fly both copies at the same time either.

mlesnews said:
Each version is a separate copy of the game and there is no interaction or shared files between the two. You do not need anything except G5.0, unless of course if you wish to fly an older version for some reason. I'm told one cannot fly both copies at the same time either.
Both points true, although I'm not sure why you would want to fly both at the same time. For the time being, I'm leaving G4.5 installed because the kiddies like to fire guns incessantly in G5 mp sessions, even outside of combat events.

G4.5 to G5

Can G4.5 aircraft be imported into G5? How?

The migration tool worked great for all custom files (aircraft and airports). Expansion packs and add-on packs are easily copied into the G5 data folder. Can G4.5 aircraft (not asking about custom, add-on or expansion aircraft) be imported into G5?

If you mean stock G4.5 aircraft that are not in G5, then no. I didn't know there were any.

opjose said:
Great, though how about going from an XP install of G4.5 to a G5 install on Vista/Windows7 ?

Since the folder locations are changed between XP and Vista, this one is especially problematic.

Has anyone figured this out with Windows 7. Purchased like 4 of the expansion packs for 4.5 and nothing comes into 5.0. Will the migratation tool "Migrate"?

Back