RealFlight G5 Migration Tool for G4.5 users

I wish the migration tool would move the Expansion pack material over to G5... maybe request that the disk be present, but then move them over..

I understand either way... it was not that big of a deal... I only have three disks so far anyway.

But I don't know how to use the search tool found in the blue bar at the top of each web page. :D :D Seriously... did not even think of searching... and I do recall the topic from before. It really did not take all that long anyway... next time, I will try to remember... but, don't trust my memory past what is for dinner.

rrstockard said:
Can G4.5 aircraft be imported into G5? How?

The migration tool worked great for all custom files (aircraft and airports). Expansion packs and add-on packs are easily copied into the G5 data folder. Can G4.5 aircraft (not asking about custom, add-on or expansion aircraft) be imported into G5?

I just imported the planes from 4.5 to 5.0 with the tool provided at the beginning of the forum. It appears I will have to add my expansion packs and add-on manually as they did not transfer. I am assuming that these are compatible with 5.0?

Just how far back can we go on the swap forum to import compatible aircraft with 5.0?

Thanks,
Steve

SailingAlong said:
I just imported the planes from 4.5 to 5.0 with the tool provided at the beginning of the forum. It appears I will have to add my expansion packs and add-on manually as they did not transfer. I am assuming that these are compatible with 5.0?

Yes you can either run the installers on the Expansion packs to do this ( the LONG way ) or look for the thread where I documented merely copying the files over ( very quick! ).

SailingAlong said:
Just how far back can we go on the swap forum to import compatible aircraft with 5.0?

Steve

As far back as you want.

Most G3 aircraft work under G5, but there are some changes required to the physics to get the aircraft to behave identically under G4/G5 ( with exceptions ).

Most G4 aircraft will not require any changes what-so-ever.

Convert Trex450SE g4.5 to G5 Does it work

I am getting G5 :) but can only find a Trex450se here at the forum for the G4.5. Seeing this is a custom I was wondering if the conversion program will work and wonder if anyone has tried this conversion and more expert than me to know if its flying physics is realastic. If not does anyone have a link to a good G5 Trex450.

Realized I have a second question if the above does work I am not upgrading a G4.5 install but installing a new G5 so not sure if the conversion program will work as I don't have G4.5 installed with the TREX450SE

Thank you and Happy Holidays !!!!!

Last edited:
HW12, it's not a conversion tool, it's a migration tool. It simply moves all of your G4.5 aircraft to use in G5, that's all. Any swap aircraft will work in G5.

jeffpn thanks One post said the physics may not be the same in G5 vs G4.5 guess that is not a conversion issue but a software interpretation change to some of the physics. Hope the TREX450 works well. BTW why are you banging your head against the wall ? ;)

Have a great Holiday !!

hardwork12 said:
I am getting G5 :) but can only find a Trex450se here at the forum for the G4.5. Seeing this is a custom I was wondering if the conversion program will work and wonder if anyone has tried this conversion and more expert than me to know if its flying physics is realastic. If not does anyone have a link to a good G5 Trex450.

Realized I have a second question if the above does work I am not upgrading a G4.5 install but installing a new G5 so not sure if the conversion program will work as I don't have G4.5 installed with the TREX450SE

Thank you and Happy Holidays !!!!!

To answer your first question: I have a T-REX 450 SE V2 and the RF (custom build) version of this model has a bit too much power for a stock T-REX 450 SE V2. I've flown mine hard 3D with the highest ESC power settings, 15 tooth pinion, upgraded flybar and flybar paddles and a 35C battery. My T-REX is wicked fast setup like this, but the flight time is greatly reduced and the power is still not unlimited.

Don't get me wrong. The user generated model T-REX 450 SE V2 is awesome and flies great, but the real world T-REX would also need an ESC and motor upgrade to dish out close to matched performance. A few other minor adjustments can be made to the model to closely match the real world T-REX.

To answer your second question: The "upgrade G5" disk is the full version of G5 and installs seperately without interracting with G4 / G4.5 in the least bit. It's only considered an upgrade because it doesn't come with an interlink controller. The migration tool just copies the necessary files over to the G5 folders. I personally used this tool to move all of my custom models and they all still work great. There may have been a few models that acted slightly different in G5--maybe. So far I've noticed nothing drastic with my models which made them unflyable or required necessary changes.

I do have a friend that has an issue with the custom aircraft in G5--they don't work and crashes Realflight when trying to import ones from the swaps. He had to manually bring them over from the G4.5 folders because the migration tool didn't work on his PC the day he upgraded. He has since uninstalled G5 and will re-install it soon and try the tool again.

4.5 models to 5

Is there a way to upload 4.5 custom models on the swap pages to G5? I tried the migration application & it won't run on my computer using XP (get an error message). I did not upgrade from 4.5, I am starting out with G5. After it successfully uploads the model there is an error when Real Flight creates the DSS file. The G5 uploads work fine, but I would think the 4.5 ones should also work being an older version. That's generally the case. Thanks.

The purpose of the migration tool is to transfer custom models from G4.5 to G5. It is useless if you only have G5.

Scott, go to the RF launcher and click Additional otions. Then tech support. You'll see a window that has some specifications of your system. Copy that and paste it here.

Yes you can download and import G4.5 aircraft into G5... there are direction on the download pages and as always on Jeff's banging head forum messages. See it just above... bangs head about 38 million times a year.

ScottN3N said:
Is there a way to upload 4.5 custom models on the swap pages to G5? I tried the migration application & it won't run on my computer using XP (get an error message). I did not upgrade from 4.5, I am starting out with G5. After it successfully uploads the model there is an error when Real Flight creates the DSS file. The G5 uploads work fine, but I would think the 4.5 ones should also work being an older version. That's generally the case. Thanks.

Hey guys, I tried using the RealFlight Migration tool today, It sat there and ended up Hanging, nothing was moved over. Also, I moved all the files over by hand and now see something really odd. If i try to load ANY "EA" file that was moved over by hand RealFlight G5 errors. I have noticed that if I am in Multi Player and someone loads and aircraft that would normal error me, I instead see an "Invisible plane, Their name tag hangs in the air, and a Trail of smoke along with the orange text that says, "Plane refers to missing component _______" ___ being EVERY part of the plane.

Back