RealFlight G5 Migration Tool for G4.5 users

Dr.Moo! said:
How do you move WHOLE folders wrong?
Because you can't move without also editing each and every file. All those file contain pointers to other files and locations. The migration tool will do that for you, but if you do it yourself, you have to DO IT YOURSELF. And that means do it all yourself before you can expect it to work.

dhk79 said:
Because you can't move without also editing each and every file. All those file contain pointers to other files and locations. The migration tool will do that for you, but if you do it yourself, you have to DO IT YOURSELF. And that means do it all yourself before you can expect it to work.

Oh joy, and I get nothing but lock up's and the Migration tool closing itself without moving stuff over every time I try to run it....

Dr.Moo! said:
Oh joy, and I get nothing but lock up's and the Migration tool closing itself without moving stuff over every time I try to run it....

I have a thought. Maybe try disabling any anti-virus software and any other monitoring software on your PC. Remember the other day I was telling you how long it took me to install my printer on my machine (about an hour and a half). It didn't install correctly either and then I found out there was still one ainti-virus thing hiding in the background tasks. After I disabled it I reinstalled the printer software in about 5 minutes.

I don't know if this will help you man, but it's sure worth a shot. If it turns out this doesn't work, then it's a sure way to do some spring cleaning on your custom content files. Which ones are REALLY worth keeping more than others? :(

Later,

Matt

Last edited:
How does Migration Tool do it's job?

I tried the Migration Tool and it just sat there and hung. I'm running Windows 7, but I have installed G4.5 and G5 in non-standard directories (d:\Program Files\RealflightG4 and d:\Program Files\RealflightG5). Does the migration tool assume that the programs are installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\RealflightG4, etc.?

I see all of the files in:

d:\Program Files\RealFlightG4\Data\
and
d:\Program Files\RealFlightG5\Data\
and
c:\Users\rpederso.ENGR\Documents\RealFlight G4\Cache\Data\
and
c:\Users\rpederso.ENGR\Documents\RealFlight G5\Cache\Data\

but I don't know exactly what the migration tool is trying to do, which files it is copying, which files is it trying to modify, ...

Could I get blow-by-blow instructions on how to migrate one custom aircraft manually? If I knew what had to be done, I might be able to write a script to do it for all of my planes.

Thanks in advance -

Just batch import your original swap page EA files into G5, followed by your AV and CS files. If you've tweaked the EA files yourself, export an EA from G4.5, and import it into G5. You can import multiple files at once, but do the EAs first.

Thanks for the guidance

It worked just fine since I had saved all of the downloaded EA, AV, and CS files. Some of the planes don't seem to work too well in G5, but the whole process is making me evaluate just how many of these downloaded planes I really like to fly and therefore, really need.

Again, thanks for the guidance (I had never really tried to import more than one plane) :)

single plane ?

Someone tell how to install the single plane in the game i dont no how to install the single plane in the game ! for the expantion pack no problem but with single plane i not see in the game where do you put the folder ?

mlesnews said:
Each version is a separate copy of the game and there is no interaction or shared files between the two. You do not need anything except G5.0, unless of course if you wish to fly an older version for some reason. I'm told one cannot fly both copies at the same time either.
nice car is yours

Back