RealFlight migration tools for G4 and G5 users

Adam Taylor

Adam-inistrator
Just installed RealFlight 6? Are you missing all of your custom and imported content from RealFlight G5? You can use this tool to migrate all of your content from your RealFlight G5 installation with a single mouse click.

Note that custom aircraft with optimized physics for G5 or G5.5 will likely behave differently in RF6. Additional editing will be required in order to get these to fly accurately.

Please download and run the program in the attached .zip file to get started.

Note for upgrading G4/G4.5 users: If you are upgrading to RF6 from G4 or G4.5, you will need to run two separate migration tools. Please first download and run the tool in this thread: https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=24484, then run the tool on this page.

Attachments

• RealFlight Migration Tool.zip
    66.7 KB · Views: 690
Is there a trick to getting this to work in Windows 7 64-bit? When I launch the program, it says "migrating airports," then it freezes and locks up my whole system.

Someone from KE said that all of their machines are Win 7 64 bit. I don't think that's the issue.

jeffpn said:
Someone from KE said that all of their machines are Win 7 64 bit. I don't think that's the issue.

I wasn't sure if that was the issue or not. I was just providing info. Has anyone gotten this tool to work? Is there another way to copy my custom models from g5.5 to RF6?

It worked okay for me. The only other way I know is to export everything as an EA 1 at a time, then import them all into 6 at once.

worked for me.... two times. once from 4.5 to 5.5 then from 5.5 to 6. It does take awhile... especially if you have the custom content collection I have.

willsonman said:
worked for me.... two times. once from 4.5 to 5.5 then from 5.5 to 6. It does take awhile... especially if you have the custom content collection I have.

I've tried it twice, and it completely locks up my system to the point that I can't even get to the Task Manager. I guess I'll have to use the manual technique.

What about edits?

If I make changes to planes in G5.5 such as stall severity on a wing and save them in G5.5 but don't export them, are those changes picked up and migrated or does it only migrate what's been exported?

Edit: Let me modify this a bit. Those changes did not get migrated and I'm trying to understand whether that's the way it's supposed to work - in which case every plane that's been modified needs to be exported before migrating - or whether there's a bug.

Regards
Michael

Last edited:
Exporting has nothing to do with the tool. It grabs the aircraft straight from the sim. It does not look for EAs.

Make sure you have ALL of your Windows Updates up to date.

The program relies upon Microsoft's .Net Framework and errors in that will cause what you see.

The importer CANNOT lock up your system directly it calls .Net.

If your system locks up, you have a buggy .NET install that is affecting the O.S., since once installed it becomes an integral part of it.

Microsoft has posted some techiques and tools to fix .Net installs that have been corrupted by other updates and programs.

In part you have to uninstall prior versions, run the tools, then install the .Net framework again.

Will this bring over all my expansion packs?

I don't understand why, if this is an upgrade to my 5.5, it would not do that automatically?

It looks like a new install to me. I have all the expansion packs, and really don't want to re-install all of them.

This tool is for custom content migration between the two installations (G4-G5.5 to RF6)
Expansion packs will need to be installed normally.

It is a new install, not a replacement. Your EPs will not carry over. Go to your C:/Program Files (x86 if 64 bit Windows)/Real Flight/Data directory to find the files. The procedure is documented several times in the forum. Grab only the files with RFEP or RFAO in the name, and copy them to the new appropriate directory.

Swashplate said:
I don't understand why, if this is an upgrade to my 5.5, it would not do that automatically?
If you're going from 5.5 to 6
then it is a new install and a completely new version of RF
not a 5.5 upgrade
version 5/5.5 is done and over with
and if history repeats itself
there will be no more upgrades or patches forth coming for 5.5

BTW you can have both G5.5 and RF6 installed on the same machine if you so choose

So, no problem just uninstalling 5.5, then re-install my EP's then? No use having both on the system eating up space.

I just got the Realflight6 upgrade and had no trouble installing the add on disks and the exp. packs. I used the migration tool and all my G5.5 stuff went over to G6 with no trouble at all, I am running window's 7 64 bit

Ron

Hi Ron,

Is RF6 running OK on WIN 7 or do you have to run it in Administrator mode??

Thanks,

Bob

Back