RealFlight migration tools for G4 and G5 users

n1edm said:
Hi Ron,

Is RF6 running OK on WIN 7 or do you have to run it in Administrator mode??

Thanks,

Bob

I run RF6 in admin mode, and the reason is that I had a problem with RF 3.5 with the add on disks, if I started RF normal I did not see the add on disks only saw then in the admin mode,I don't know why so I just use the admin. mode. I am not into how computers work, so I use admin all the time

Ron

OK, thanks for that info... I'm running XP now but I think might upgrade sometime this year, which will mean Win7 for me. I have to fun one of my CAD programs in Admin Mode and it's pretty slow. I was wondering what I might expect from RF6.

Bob

n1edm said:
I have to fun one of my CAD programs in Admin Mode and it's pretty slow. I was wondering what I might expect from RF6.

Bob

Admin mode does NOT make programs "slower"... if anything the opposite COULD be true in a few instances.

Admin mode gives programs unfettered access to the hard drive, registry and operating system. That lets programs find and modify registry entries more quickly than in standard "user" mode.

The downside of course is that those same programs can make adverse changes... which is why admin mode is reserved for special situations.

"Real" operating systems lock you out and force you to run everything in "user space".

Real Flight 6 Video

Does anyone know if I can record a video in a WMV or Quicktime format so it can be seen by someone without Real Flight?

The steps are:

1) Make a recording using RealFlight (you can only view this in RealFlight).

2) Use FRAPS to capture the screen or window during playback saving it as an AVI.

3) Use Windows Movie Maker or something else to edit and convert the AVI to a WMV.

Details are left as an exercise....

Regards
Michael

This will bring all my expansion packs?

I do not understand why, if this is an upgrade to 5.5 I would not do it automatically?

Looks like a new installation for me. I have all the expansion packs, and really do not want to reinstall all. ;)

RF upgrades (2 to 3, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6) are not upgrades. They are new installs, independent programs.

The rest of us reinstalled our Expansion Packs. You can, too!

If you know where the EP files are, you can simply copy them to the new approriate directory. They are in the Program Files/Real Flight/Data directory. If you don't know how to do that, you might make things worse.

This will bring all my expansion packs?

I have all the expansion packs, and really do not want to reinstall all. ;)

I've heard other people say this before. Each EP takes about 5 minutes to install. What is that makes you so busy you don't have 40 minutes to reinstall EP packs. If that's too much you might want to loosen up your schedule. I think your booked too tight.

Back