Realflight won't launch in VR

grnbriar

Realflight works fine in NonVR mode, but if SteamVR is running, it won't launch at all. so process evry shows up as running.
I tried running from desktop shortcut (as I usually do), then from Steam launcher and also inside vr. None worked. Steam just continues to say launching.
Process seems to start and then immediately stop, with no error.
I have both Rift S and Quest 2 that work with Oculus software and Steam VR. With either running Realflight fails to launch.
Turn Steam vr off and it runs just fine.
Tried again and I do see an 'unknown cloud error' popped up by Steam.

So how do I launch Realflight in VR? Its VR capability is one of the reasons I bought it.
Thanks,
David

I found out that it will only ask you to launch in VR if you launch from the Steam app and Steam VR is NOT already running. So I launched in Oculus mode with first default airport and then desert race (which it said was 3d) but as soon as I picked up the headset (which had both as just a flat screen) I got a Realflight has unexpected error (appeared as soon as the split screen came up), do you wish to report it? I said yes and app closes. So now it tries to launch and then fails.
Also tried running through steam vr (since Oculus works with that also). Same issue, as soon as it puts the split view on the screen, I get the same error message and nothing ever showed in the headset, just waiting on Steam VR. This was all done with the Rift S headset to avoid the extra layer of Oculus Link with the Oculus 2 headset.

Can you please attach some system information here?
  1. Right-click your Windows Start button and select Run.
  2. Enter "dxdiag" and click OK. That will launch the DirectX Diagnostic Tool, which is a helpful way to gather useful info.
  3. Once that has finished loading, click Save All Information...
  4. Choose a convenient location on your disk and click Save.
  5. Come back here and reply to this forum thread.
  6. Add the saved DxDiag.txt as an attachment.

Tried to launch from inside Steam again. Got the box to select Oculus or Steam VR, went with Steam vr as it seems to get farther (I get to the twin screen images before it errors). Right after that I ran the dxdiag and that file is attached.
Hope it helps.
I have a single Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti video card and 64 G ram on this system. Windows 10.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    194.3 KB · Views: 3
I had a horrible experience with VR/Steam. I sent it back yesterday. I spent over 25 hours trying to get this to work with steamvr on a Gaming PC and it would not work with steam. Watched every youtube video I could find, bought cables that were recommended, but nothing. I didn't download any Oculus games as the sim I wanted to play is on steam only, so no comment there. However, using PC with Steam was a NO GO, very frustrated. And GOOD LUCK trying to get any kind of technical support from Oculus or Realflight!!!!!! I would have paid to get it working.

However, Realflight evolution using my Graupner MZ-16 works well. Can't assign switches but expo works along with basic controls.

Back