Remove Throttle clicks from InterLink?

HeliG

Hi. I'm new here... as a matter of fact, I've had my G4 for about 1.5 hours and have flown with it for half an hour. I must say that it's better to press the red button than rebuild my T-rex 450SE V2 regularly.

Anyway, I would like to remove the clicks on the throttle of the InterLink controller. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks for your help.

No, if you take off the ratchet on an airplane radio there will be no tension, therefor if you put you're radio at a 90* angle, the throttle stick will go down with no input by you.

I wish the company would make a helicopter version.

Yes there is a way. It's been covered here before. I know it uses fuel tubing. Try the search function and see if you can find it. Welcome to the forums!

throtle clicking

actually i put a response to someone about that very same thing:
1 Open the case
2 loosen the screw on the mettal tension bar on the throtle stick
3 Take a piece of fuel tubing and place it over the tension bar
4 tighten the screw that holds the tension bar so that it is just snug
and that there is a little resistance
5 Replace the back of the controller and your done

It's a 5 Minute job Easy!!!

Last edited:
sfrcpilot: You also misspelled misspell. :D PS The system does not require a reason for editing. It's optional ,if you didn't know that.

Last edited:
sfrcpilot said:
actually i put a response to someone about that very same thing:
1 Open the case
2 loosen the screw on the mettal tension bar on the throtle stick
3 Take a piece of fuel tubing and place it over the tension bar
4 tighten the screw that holds the tension bar so that it is just snug
and that there is a little resistance
5 Replace the back of the controller and your done

It's a 5 Minute job Easy!!!

sfrcpilot. Thanks for the help! :)

jeffpn. Thanks for the "search" suggestion. :confused: I did try it.

Wow... The fuel tubing is ghetto. I've found that it makes the throttle really 'sticky.'
Just turn the ratchet upside-down. Open case, loosen screw, turn upside-down. Done.
That's how heli radios are if you look at them. If you flip it over in a heli radio, you have an airplane ratchet. At least the ones I've seen anyway.
-Eric

Just release some spring tension on the ratchet leaf. You could try putting fuel tubing over the leaf in combination with releasing its tension.

Whatever works for you!

Charles

Last edited:
rccardude04 said:
Wow... The fuel tubing is ghetto. I've found that it makes the throttle really 'sticky.'
Just turn the ratchet upside-down. Open case, loosen screw, turn upside-down. Done.
That's how heli radios are if you look at them. If you flip it over in a heli radio, you have an airplane ratchet. At least the ones I've seen anyway.
-Eric

Eric thanks for that tip! Just did it and it works great - no more "notches", collective is silky-smooth and I've got much finer control of it now :D

HeliG, you outta try it that way instead, I bet using fuel tubing does make it sticky and binding. Eric's way doesn't, and you can screw the ratchet down tighter or looser to get the amount of tension you want.

DH

This is how i removed throttle click.

open up the back of the elite controller, you will see a thin strip of metal screwed in
above the throttle stick. Simply unscrew it, turn it over and screw it back in.
This eliminates the ratchet effect and still gives you the right amount of tension.
Worked for me and took all of 2 mins.

I've never understood the use of the racheting throttle control, even on airplanes. The instant that I found out one of my co-workers had a heli InterLink, I asked him if we could trade. :D

Out of curiosity, could somebody please tell me what the allure of the racheting throttle is?

Racheting

With a racheting throttle, you cannot land a helicopter smoothly
- as Murphy's law states

"The position you need to get to for a soft landing is between the rachet points - thus eliminating the possibility of a smooth landing unless you have thumbs like superman able to hold it SMOOTHLY between the rachets".

This is not an issue with normal fixed wing flying as you do not need that fine amount of throttle control which is necessary.

The solution is to fly more.

My 9C has been used to fly so much that the ratchet is worn smooth. It might as well be a heli model.

Fly More

That's ok for you veterans....

I have only 3 hours R/C in total under my belt - 15 minutes on a Blade CX2 (which I managed to hover) and just over 2.5 hours on G4

It may be some time before that rachet is worn...

However, I can confirm that the Interlink mod stated about 5 posts previous by leezaal and rccardude04 where you simply turn the metal spring the opposite way and screw it back in works really really well.... It's quite stiff enough for normal hovering without the collective moving, but allows that finesse needed for smooth landings. It's a 3 minute job with a jewellers cross headed screwdriver... 4 Screws for the back of the case, then 1 screw for the silver curved blade type of spring.

:cool:

I tried flipping the spring over and just didn't care for the feel. I couldn't make it as tight as I wanted, and the throttle tension wasn't consistent (it still "clicked" near the throttle end stops as well).

The sping on mine is not symmectrical and obviously wasn't designed to be mounted "flipped over". Perhaps there are different variations of the Interlink controller.

rccardude04 said:
-Eric
I have a 9Zap to fly my real planes and that is exactly how i did it,now my throttle is smooth as silk.

Spareparts said:
I tried flipping the spring over and just didn't care for the feel. I couldn't make it as tight as I wanted, and the throttle tension wasn't consistent (it still "clicked" near the throttle end stops as well).

The sping on mine is not symmectrical and obviously wasn't designed to be mounted "flipped over". Perhaps there are different variations of the Interlink controller.
Try to bend it a little so that the smooth part is resting on the ratchet.

Spareparts said:

I'm pretty sure they're all the same but then I've only seen the inside of mine ;)

No the spring is not symmetrical, in the "proper" orientation it has a tab that slips into a slot in the case to keep it from shifting side-to-side. Flipped over that tab points up and doesn't engage the slot, so you can move it left or right off the throttle wheel. But I've found it works just fine flipped over, hasn't moved a bit. That shouldn't be a worry!

If it's not tight enough (mine was, I had to loosen it back up a tiny bit) there are a few options:

1) Like Inky says, try bending it down a bit. That would preclude putting it back the original way though if you changed your mind, unless you wanted to bend it back the other way which might risk breaking it. (not likely to happen though...)

2) Put it back like it was and use the fuel tube option. The tube slipped over the end will get rid of the "ratchets" and you'll be able to get it plenty tight. But it will probably be "sticky". Adding some more grease might help that.

3) More drastic measure but sure to work. Leave the tab flipped upside down, and use a good sharp chisel to carefully shave off a small amount of the post that the tab screws into. This will lower the tab relative to the throttle wheel and allow more tension. You can easily put it back the way it was later if you change your mind, by placing a washer between the post and the tab to make up for the material you removed. If you want to do that, the secret is to remove a SMALL thickness, put it together and try it out, and only remove more if it's still too loose. And by "small" I mean paper-thin ;)

Good luck, and HTH! I love this mod, it makes a world of difference flying heli's :D Hope you can get it working to your liking!

DH

Even with the rub bar over mine still had a slight rachetto it.
So I took my exacto knife and shaved off the top nubs, sanded smooth with sandpaper. Then put on a dab of servo grease.

It works great now, smooth and absolutely no ratchet at all !

You guys suck! You got me sitting here with a screw driver in my mouth while I type this, and taking apart my Radio, with G4 running in the Backround! Anyways Thanks!!! Wow thanks Eric feels like my DX6i!

Back