reset video settings to default

gulliver22

I installed (via stream) Realflight Evolution. Started up fine. Changed the video options to High (or whatever the highest setting was) and now I cant use it. When launched it shows a white screen then minimizes. If I try to click on the taskbar icon it shows a blank screen for a second then minimizes again. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but same problem, so I guess it stores settings in the registry from the previous install?

How do I reset the video settings to default?

Are you running the DX 11 beta for RF Evolution, if not, click on the link below for install instructions.

If you are using the DX 11 beta, then you could try opening your Documents folder, open the RFE folder and search for the file named "Realflight64", and either move that file to another folder, (just in case you need to reuse it) or what I do is, rename the Realflight64 to Realflight64.bak that will force RFE to write a new settings file on startup. (see attached picture) file circled red.

Attachments

• Realflight64 ini.jpg
    Realflight64 ini.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 4
Are you running the DX 11 beta for RF Evolution, if not, click on the link below for install instructions.

If you are using the DX 11 beta, then you could try opening your Documents folder, open the RFE folder and search for the file named "Realflight64", and either move that file to another folder, (just in case you need to reuse it) or what I do is, rename the Realflight64 to Realflight64.bak that will force RFE to write a new settings file on startup. (see attached picture) file circled red.

That worked. Thanks!

Well, actually the DX 11 version is installed as a complete new version. Go to your Documents folder, and you'll see a directory for "RealFlight Evolution" and a new one for "RealFlight Evolution DX11 Beta"
If you go back and tell Steam to NOT use Beta versions, the next time you start RF, you will be back into the version that had the incorrect video options.
If you really want to reset, in "RealFlight Evolution" there is a file named "RealFlight64.ini" Rename it. I called mine "RealFlight64.ini.bak"
When you start RF, it won't find it, so will make a new one with all the default "like new" settings. Note this will also get rid of all other custom settings, calibrations, most recently used models, etc. also. (There is also an "ini" file in the Beta directory, but we'll just ignore that for these purposes).
You can always roll back to the original (for those that don't have the OP's screen issue) by deleting the new "ini" file, and changing the old one back to "RealFlight64.ini"
If one is really brave, the file can be edited with Notepad. I suspect doing a cut/paste of the section labeled "DirectX" from one to the other would resolve the OP's problem, and preserve all the other settings. But that is getting into scary stuff, and I haven't tried it to see if it works. You're on your own if you try that!

Back