RF 6.5 Won't Run After Cloning Hard Drive

Rickochet

I bought RF 6.5 when it first came out and have enjoyed it for years. I recently cloned my PC hard drive to an SSD and installed it in the PC. When I try to run RF it asks me for the serial numbers of the CD and controller. Unfortunately I have lost the CD. I have found a CD for 6.5 from someone who has upgraded to RF 8 but I am wondering if it will install on my PC since Horizon Hobbies is not supporting older versions of RF.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you still have your old HDD and does it still boot? If so you can boot it run the 6.5 launcher and your serial number will be displayed.

If you don't have the old HDD your only recourse is to contact tech support, have them look up your registration information and they will be able to send you your serial numbers associated with your registration.

Do you still have your old HDD and does it still boot? If so you can boot it run the 6.5 launcher and your serial number will be displayed.

If you don't have the old HDD your only recourse is to contact tech support, have them look up your registration information and they will be able to send you your serial numbers associated with your registration.

I still have the original HDD and can fire it up externally through a USB adapter.

The Great Planes website is still up and when I used their link for support I got a reply from Horizon that said support for older versions of RF are no longer being supported. :(

Thank you for the reply.

Edited: I accessed my old HDD and the program does the same as it does now and won't launch without putting in the new codes. Interesting that it also asks me for codes for the Mega Pack which I never purchased. Looks like something happened before I cloned the drive. So, I guess my only option is to try someone's hand me down CD or upgrade to RF8. I noticed the installation date of 6.5 was 2013 so maybe time to upgrade anywho.

Last edited:
I still have the original HDD and can fire it up externally through a USB adapter.

The Great Planes website is still up and when I used their link for support I got a reply from Horizon that said support for older versions of RF are no longer being supported. :(

Thank you for the reply.

Edited: I accessed my old HDD and the program does the same as it does now and won't launch without putting in the new codes. Interesting that it also asks me for codes for the Mega Pack which I never purchased. Looks like something happened before I cloned the drive. So, I guess my only option is to try someone's hand me down CD or upgrade to RF8. I noticed the installation date of 6.5 was 2013 so maybe time to upgrade anywho.

I would call them. 1-217-398-8970 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. They have the ability to look up your registration information and can give it to you over the phone. I've done it myself, but a couple of years ago. It's worth a shot.

RF8 is built upon the same software than 6.5 is so the upgrade will be very familiar. You can fly the same models you fly in 6.5. You just need the software, your interlink you currently have will work well in RF8 if you choose to upgrade.

I would call them. 1-217-398-8970 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm. They have the ability to look up your registration information and can give it to you over the phone. I've done it myself, but a couple of years ago. It's worth a shot.

RF8 is built upon the same software than 6.5 is so the upgrade will be very familiar. You can fly the same models you fly in 6.5. You just need the software, your interlink you currently have will work well in RF8 if you choose to upgrade.

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. Is the new controller much different than the old one?

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. Is the new controller much different than the old one?

If you have the Interlink Elite, you don't really need the new Interlink-X. The new Interlink does have a couple additional Channels in the form of sliders on the back but its a Tactic Radio case and to me doesn't feel as quality in the hands as the Old Futaba based Interlink. No models in RF8 make use out of the box of the 2 additional channel sliders. They can be assigned if you want to assign them in the editor.

If you have the Interlink Elite, you don't really need the new Interlink-X. The new Interlink does have a couple additional Channels in the form of sliders on the back but its a Tactic Radio case and to me doesn't feel as quality in the hands as the Old Futaba based Interlink. No models in RF8 make use out of the box of the 2 additional channel sliders. They can be assigned if you want to assign them in the editor.

Thanks for the info.

Back