RF 9 M1 Mac

It happened to me when I migrate from my older MacBook Pro (intel inside ) to the new M1Pro Macbook. The RF 9.5 didn't even start.
I've tried to change the compatibility mode for Application files, but it didn't work.

However I found on rcgroups this topic RF 9.5S Problems With Steam Version Startup - RC Groups - and I understood that an older version of RF 9 used to work on Parallels for M1 MacBook, but the newer RF 9.5s didn't.
So the solution was to downgrade the RF 9.5s to an older version that works. Since I have it installed trough Steam this was a real challenge for me:)

I found this tutorial which helped me a lot: [2021] How to DOWNGRADE games on Steam! - YouTube

I tried first with a one month older version for RF which still didn't work and then with a two year older version which proved to be RF 9 but it is working the best!

Mustang,

I have the same exact issue. Where you able to find a fix? I made a bunch of changes to GPU settings and it worked for while but now it is crashing with an error when I try to switch airports or make other changes like training too. Thanks...
No not at the time. I did ask if there is a way to switch the default starting airport as kind of a backdoor solution, but tech support said there is not. If knife-edge software would simply make a Mac OS version, we wouldn't have this issue. I know Mac OS uses Rosetta for running intel/64 bit based programs on M1, and some developers said it took 10 mins to change to code on their apps and services to work with M1. Out of curiosity, what GPU changes did you make to allow you to switch airports. Even for the time being? That could lead to a solution. TKM seems to have it running perfectly with no issues, but won't reply back to my post.

I have RF 8 installed on my MacBook Pro 2019 with an intel i9 where the Mac is boot camped. That runs perfectly as it is on intel processor. Now I have not tried it with parallels on an intel Mac. That may work since the processor is x86 and x64 based. The tech guy explained to me that the emulation settings for parallels are running on M1 silicon which is vastly different than windows native x64 and intel's x86 based environment. ARM architecture is much different but has benefits of being faster and more power efficient. I hope knife-edge and horizon simply make a Mac OS version from here on out, as they should have from the start. They would definitely get more sales for the simulator as Macs are extremely popular.

I did what TKM suggested with the "Safe Emulation" I did a search for *.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam then one by one changed the emulation mode to Safe Emulation. It worked! I am so relieved! Thank you TKM for your post!

Don't Hold your breath for a Mac version of Realflight 9.5.... Unless DirectX is supported by the Operating system, There will never be a version of Realflight 9.5 that would run Natively on a Mac. Given the tiny market of actual Mac users to PC users that are looking to purchase a RC flight simulator I doubt there is much market for spending the money to develop a version of the software that a few dozen people will purchase.

Don't Hold your breath for a Mac version of Realflight 9.5.... Unless DirectX is supported by the Operating system, There will never be a version of Realflight 9.5 that would run Natively on a Mac. Given the tiny market of actual Mac users to PC users that are looking to purchase a RC flight simulator I doubt there is much market for spending the money to develop a version of the software that a few dozen people will purchase.

We’re not holding our breath for a native Mac version. This thread is for people trying to run 9.5s on M1 Macs running Parallels and Windows 10/11. All previous versions up to and including 9.5 could do it. Things went haywire with the release of the Steam 9.5s. All other Steam games run fine on the Mac with Parallels. RealFlight 9.5s is the only dud. We’re hoping the KnifeEdge software team will be able to crush the Windows bugs!

I did what TKM suggested with the "Safe Emulation" I did a search for *.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam then one by one changed the emulation mode to Safe Emulation. It worked! I am so relieved! Thank you TKM for your post!
So I have the disk installed version, would the process be the same minus going into the Steam folder?

Well, this answers my question. Super disappointing to see that apparently the answer is "hold off" on buying RealFlight if you're on an M1 Mac because it's still a gamble.

Guess I'll have to stick with AccuRC, Heli-X, or neXt in native Mac or Phoenix or LiftOff in Steam via Parallels running Windows 11 for now.

We’re not holding our breath for a native Mac version. This thread is for people trying to run 9.5s on M1 Macs running Parallels and Windows 10/11. All previous versions up to and including 9.5 could do it. Things went haywire with the release of the Steam 9.5s. All other Steam games run fine on the Mac with Parallels. RealFlight 9.5s is the only dud. We’re hoping the KnifeEdge software team will be able to crush the Windows bugs!

I finally bought RealFlight 9.5S from my friendly local hobby store (so they'd get a piece of money) after it went on sale for $20 off for Aviation Day or whatever. Naturally, the same thing happened here when I tried to load it. Click "PLAY", confirm the next box, then it would stop, so I emailed Parallels Support. They sent the standard troubleshooting routine which didn't help.

What Worked for My M1 Max Macbook Pro
I got Realflight 9.5S running on my MBP 2021 M1 Max 32GB by going through every folder setting these properties for every .exe file:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight 9
    • RealFlight
    • LegacyProductSupportChecker
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight 9\Helpers
    • RealFlightHelper
    • RealFlightHelper_Admin
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight 9\Helpers\BackupCommunicator\BackupCommunicator
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RealFlight 9\DirectX\DXSETUP

• Properties -> Compatibility -> Change settings for all users ->
    • Run this program as an administrator
    • Change emulation settings -> Safe Emulation
I tried one round without setting the files to run as an Admin for all users and it didn't work. That may be the key or it may not. ('m not interested in going back through and finding out.) It may take longer to load than you anticipate, so just be patient. Once it's up and running, it looks like it's 100% good. I haven't found anything that has crashed it and there isn't any noticeable lag.

Following one piece of advice from Parallels support, I set up a brand new Windows 11 VM so I could change files settings to my heart's content without worrying about messing up the driver installation for my Blade 350QX3.

Thinking back, I am not 100% sure that my "real" Windows 11 VM ever loaded the .NET components completely, but it doesn't matter now. It's up and running, so I trashed my test VM.

Hope that helps others in the same boat!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.33.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 10.33.59 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
Thanks @LaserGecko. How's the performance and frame rate? Does it work with your TX?
If it works well enough I'll go buy it today. :)
Hi @silverdart!

It works just fine with my DX8 G2 and a WS1000. I recommend the "Combo" setup that I found on this forum.

It seems like I need to load RealFlight, then unplug/replug the adapter to get it to connect reliably. Having the adapter plugged in while Windows loads does not seem to work reliably. Framerate is 120fps.

It loads airplanes just fine, but I can't get Airport other than Eli Field to load.

Last edited:
Hi @silverdart!

It works just fine with my DX8 G2 and a WS1000. I recommend the "Combo" setup that I found on this forum.

It seems like I need to load RealFlight, then unplug/replug the adapter to get it to connect reliably. Having the adapter plugged in while Windows loads does not seem to work reliably. Framerate is 120fps.

It loads airplanes just fine, but I can't get Airport other than Eli Field to load.
Any updates on figuring out how to get another airport to load? I have 9.5 working perfectly on my M1 max and I'd hate to switch my license over to 9.5s only to find that I can't load other airports.

I was able to get RF to work by following the advice above for RF 9.5S by changing the .exe files to soft emulation run as admin. I have a M1 Mini running Parallels Windows 11, and I am using a Radiomaster Zorro usb-c to usb-c. I’m having the same issues as others noted about changing fields, but otherwise it works fine. Thanks for the advice. I had also reached out to HH. They had suggested reloading the software without antivirus, which didn’t fix the problem. If anyone figures out a tweak to get the other fields working, that would be great to know.

Mustang,

I have the same exact issue. Where you able to find a fix? I made a bunch of changes to GPU settings and it worked for while but now it is crashing with an error when I try to switch airports or make other changes like training too. Thanks...
What GPU changes did you make?

After changing the Parallels Desktop VM's configuration to "Games Only", I can load other airports, lessons, etc.

I am cautiously optimistic!
Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 12.18.34 PM.png

@LaserGecko how has it been working so far? Any glitches, crashes, frame drops? Also is your game still running in emulation mode for parallels? Disk or steam version? I can’t believe that this fix was right in front of our faces. Did you send this info to Horizon Hobby Support? They get questions about this all the time.

Follow up post: I have installed now Parallels 18 with Windows 11 on my 2019 MacBook Pro with an Intel i9 processor with 16 Gb of RAM, 2 TB SSD, and an AMD Radeon Pro graphics card. Sim originally started up with no issue since my computer is intel based but I was able to replicate the original issue of not being able to switch airports. Then I went in and changed the configure settings to Game Mode Only and this fix allowed me to change airports. Messed around with multiple start ups and shut downs and the issue has not re-appeared.

Getting consistent 150-250 FPS, no glitches, or hiccups. Runs very smooth.

Back