RF Classic-Parallel Printer Port to USB Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwilbur

Like many of you I have upgraded my computer and am attempting to make my Real Flight Classic work (it is a great program). My Real Flight came with the 25 pin to parallel printer port transmitter interface. My new laptop only has the USB ports. Does anyone know if there is an adapter for the interface I have that will plug into USB or an interface compatible with the Futaba radio buddy box connection which plugs into the USB port? I tried a USB interface cable for the Freeware FMS, but it does not work with Real Flight. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Connection

I am not familiar with the controllers with the 25 pin serial connector...just the ones that came with a 15 pin connector that is intended for use on computers with a "game port". Most newer computers just have USB ports and the workaround to connect those is easy.

I'm sure that some place like Radio Shack has an adapter that will convert your controller connection to USB. But the tricky part is getting Windows to recognize it properly so it will work. You didn't mention which Windows Operating system you're using?

Read down a couple of posts in this same section and my reply about using a game port to USB adapter. Pretty simple but I don't know the specifics about other types of adapters. The solution is to get your computer to properly recognize the controller even if it is really recognizing just the adapter.

Good Luck. Let me know how you make out.

JRPNDE,
Thanks for the suggestions. The 25 pin connector is a bi-directional for the printer port, so I'm told. I'm not real computer savvy, just enough to spend alot of time without much results. Are you suggesting an adapter which would mate up to the 25 pin with a USB connector on it too, or a stand alone interface? I have heard of the Radio Shack adapter for the 15 pin serial, but nothing for the 25 pin. I called Real Flight and they don't have or support anything that would help my situation. I have run across an interface put out by Simblaster which they say will work so I may give it a try. The web site is: http://www.simblaster.com/ if anyone else is interested. The interface for FMS looked like it would work, but no luck. Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll continue working on this and get back to you on what works for me.

Not Sure

Like I said I'm not sure how the install of RF would react to the adapter from the serial port connector. But, the important thing to remember is how your operating system will recognize the adapter and controller. To my knowledge all RF software versions rely on the use of the controller that is included with the software to prevent people from just copying a CD and using the simulator.

So, in a way one may assume an adapter as a stand alone interface in as much as how Windows recognizes it. In any event, if you can't connect the controller to your computer thru a hardware adapter the program will not function no matter what.

First, I would get a connector/adapter to connect the controller and then try to solve any install issues within Windows before exploring third party remedies.

Resolution for parallel to USB situation

Did you ever resolve the subject issue you were having?

Thanks!

You're asking a member who hasn't logged in for 5 years if he found a fix?

There's something happening here
And what it is, ain't exactly clear

Methinks the "resolution" is upgrading the software to RF6....

Squawk! "Pieces of eight!".

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back