RF8: first impressions

Fly_electric

RF8 arrived in the mail today. HAD to get it installed (dinner can wait!!).

Some first impressions. Realize some of these have been there for awhile:

- Autostart did not work with W7. Manual start was ok.
- Norton flags install and initial run as "suspicious", but said ok and moved on
Flag could be due to how new RF8 is??
- Same launcher icon as RF7
- InterLink Elite controller displayed on screen, regardless if it or Interlink-X used (Ultra Sport was flown with the InterLink-X)
-Electric
No count down timer-- as in real world
Not many electric planes, but flew the RipMax WOT 4 Foam-E Mk2:
Motor sound seems more realistic
- Main wheels:
Common "drum" sound on landing. On asphalt (at Evergreen Airport), excellent if touchdown speed is really slow. Perhaps that threshold needs a user adjustable value..
Still the "clunking" sound when rolling to stop. This has always seemed to be connected to using springy gear and the LG angle (if gear is vertical and springy gear chosen, plane shakes very badly when just sitting still)

Now I need to find and review the 3ds Max and PS6 basics to get the first model into RF8. As mentioned in the new RC dog House thread, will start with that one.
Oh great, now I want to skip dinner and get a plane into RF8...................

Overall, excellent work K.E. !!!!!
Thank you!!!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1509408979.jpg
    ScreenShot1509408979.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 44
  • ScreenShot1509412200.jpg
    ScreenShot1509412200.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 36
  • ScreenShot1509412321.jpg
    ScreenShot1509412321.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 33
Arrived last night so I had to get it up & running immediately!
Update went fine along with all the Expansion Pack Installations. Custom content is a booger though. I have to do it one at a time because the migration tool has always cause me problems. Still haven't got all the customs transferred. No problem, I can do that when I have time.

Whoo HOO... heli collective sounds are BACK! Very nice implementation! Thankyou!!!

Also detect something different in the heli physics... better I think!?!? Thinner air more like g5.5 maybe? Flies niiiiiice!

Tried that little Gremlin 280. Holy Moly that thing is a handful! Nice!

Also see a jump in the FPS... about 700 - 1100 in the photofields now.

Very eager to try VR, but I think I'll wait until we know which NextGen units are compatible.

Very happy camper here... Thankyou!

Mine arrived 2 days early. It was in my Mailbox when I got home. I'll get it installed later tonight and give it a whirl. :D

Just installed, Helis feel better, like G5.5 but the planes feel better than they were back in 5.5 before the physics change to improve physics for them. everything works. getting 700-1100 FPS at highest settings. Using the Interlink-X more now than I was since RF-X could use the Old interlink with 7.5. I kept the new one in the box until now. Its very stiff...lol

Last edited:
Just installed, Helis feel better, like G5.5 but the planes feel better than they were back in 5.5 before the physics change to improve physics for them. everything works. getting 700-1100 FPS at highest settings.

Yup I agree completely! Physics were changed after g5.5 for the benefit of planes... and helis suffered. This is why I continued to use 5.5 for serious practice and only used 7.5 for multiplayer.

Note: I posted about the superior heli physics in 5.5 , but never found one note of agreement and not one response.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=31117

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=31946

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?p=265165#post265165

Now I think we're back on track. The good folks at KE evidently knew & agreed because the helis in 8 fly BEAUTIFULLY :D and I feel some vindication after having been a lone voice on this subject. So I now delight in a hearty... I told ya so! :p

Last edited:
Today I installed the RF8 and everything was fine. It’s the simulator I’ve been waiting for, the simulator I was afraid we’d lost. I’ve found the rigorousness that was missing from RFX.
I’m very happy with it and I recommend it wholeheartedly.

I'm a little bit surprised that the helis, after all these years, still need tweaks to behave better. For instance, the Trex 500 is crazy touchy on collective at the hover points. The pitch and throttle curves needed to be set for flattened-out 3/8 & 5/8 (shhhh!) stick hover points. But then with that done, she flies really nice, much more in tune with a good setup on a real model. A beginner shouldn't have to figure that out.

That said, it's REALLY nice to see that there's still a good heli sim available and that it runs on Windows 10.

If you find something in the Stock aircraft that should be addressed, you should shoot Ryan a PM.
As in the Past, There May or May Not have been Physics adjustments, ;) that affect stock aircraft. That may have gotten overlooked.
There's probably a better chance administration does something about it, through direct contact, then hoping one of them stumble across it, in the forum. While looking for something else
Like you said, "A beginner shouldn't have to figure that out".
Especially on Stock Aircraft.

Back