RF9.5 Not Responding

DDTree

Hello, received this error code today:
RF9.5 not responding,
Error: D3DERR_INVALIDCALL,
File: DXDevice.cpp,
Line:118.
After closing error box, RF9.5 shutdown. Restarted RF9.5 and all seems ok at this time, Thanks, DDR.

RF9.5 not responding,
Line:118.
After closing error box, RF9.5 shutdown.
These type of errors are DirectX errors, usually caused by DirectX incompatibility with your video driver (or video card), DirectX not at the proper level for Rf9.x (DX9c), or a combination. Although Windows 10 is now at DirectX 12, Windows 7|8 was at DirectX 11, RealFlight is still stuck at DirectX 9c. Sometimes problems like this one require the reloading of DirectX 9c, or updating your graphics driver, replacing your graphics card, or some combination...

Just out of morbid curiosity, do you happen to be using an ATI HD Radeon graphics processor, or an AMD Radeon APU ?

marcus

These type of errors are DirectX errors, usually caused by DirectX incompatibility with your video driver (or video card), DirectX not at the proper level for Rf9.x (DX9c), or a combination. Although Windows 10 is now at DirectX 12, Windows 7|8 was at DirectX 11, RealFlight is still stuck at DirectX 9c. Sometimes problems like this one require the reloading of DirectX 9c, or updating your graphics driver, replacing your graphics card, or some combination...

Just out of morbid curiosity, do you happen to be using an ATI HD Radeon graphics processor, or an AMD Radeon APU ?

marcus
Intel Core i5, 10th Gen, Thanks for the reply, ddtree.

ok, make certain that you're NVidia drivers are up-to-date; if you keep getting the error after that reload the DirectX 9c components... your DX DIAG will still show DirectX 12 (if you're using Win10) or DirectX 11 if you're Win7|8.

marcus

Argh. I built a new computer and bought RF 9.5 but can't use it. I am getting the error coded listed in the OP.
RF9.5 not responding,
Line:118

I have gone as far as a clean install of Windows 10.
I am running an AMD Ryzen 7 5800x on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard, using 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance 3600 Ram, and an AsRock rx 6800 xt Taichi graphics card. I have updated every driver and piece of software I can think of without success.
HELP ME!!! Please.
I have tried updating Direct X without success too.

Last edited:
Argh. I built a new computer and bought RF 9.5 but can't use it. I am getting the error coded listed in the OP.
RF9.5 not responding,
Line:118

I have gone as far as a clean install of Windows 10.
I am running an AMD Ryzen 7 5800x on a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro Wifi motherboard, using 32 gb of Corsair Vengeance 3600 Ram, and an AsRock rx 6800 xt Taichi graphics card. I have updated every driver and piece of software I can think of without success.
HELP ME!!! Please.
I have tried updating Direct X without success too.
Most likely your problem is the AMD Graphics chip in your graphic card their drivers often don't work with RealFlight. Do you have an NVidia Graphic card you could try? This forum post by Jeremy Sebens (KE Engineer) isn't about your specific card but might show you what I'm talking about.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/issues-with-radeon-5700-xt.52109/post-330302

Most likely your problem is the AMD Graphics chip in your graphic card their drivers often don't work with RealFlight. Do you have an NVidia Graphic card you could try? This forum post by Jeremy Sebens (KE Engineer) isn't about your specific card but might show you what I'm talking about.

https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?threads/issues-with-radeon-5700-xt.52109/post-330302
Thanks for the reply, I noticed some posts about AMD Graphics cards having issues. I'm going to try rolling back my drivers and see what that does.
I'm now also getting in addition to the previous error.
RF9.5 not responding,
File: DXMesh.cpp
Line:1681

Which is different on the bold items.

Thanks for the reply, I noticed some posts about AMD Graphics cards having issues. I'm going to try rolling back my drivers and see what that does.
I'm now also getting in addition to the previous error.
RF9.5 not responding,
File: DXMesh.cpp
Line:1681

Which is different on the bold items.
I wish I could help more but I use nvidia graphics cards so I don't know anymore about the amd drivers.

Yes I understand they need to move to a newer directX API that's supported by AMD. (quickly)

Any idea when that might happen? I have a 5800x and a Red Dragon 6800xt 32gb Corsair mem on a Gigabyte x570 board. Just bought RF 9.5s today and it is freezing at the launch menu, it is not throwing any errors just stops responding. Would love to hear any ideas about this issue.

Any idea when that might happen? I have a 5800x and a Red Dragon 6800xt 32gb Corsair mem on a Gigabyte x570 board. Just bought RF 9.5s today and it is freezing at the launch menu, it is not throwing any errors just stops responding. Would love to hear any ideas about this issue.

The Problem is the 6800xt GPU. AMD drivers do not support the DX9 API anymore which means Realflight will not run. There is a workaround in another thread where people can get it to work using a Virtual Machine but being in Steam that may not be possible. The only other option would be use an nVidia GPU as they work fine with Realflight.

Yes I understand they need to move to a newer directX API that's supported by AMD. (quickly)
It sounds easy but it really isn't because the would have already done it by now. Realflight is going to need a completely new Game engine to run on as the one they have now is custom for Realflight and runs only on DX9. It has been talked about in years past and unfortunately now they pretty much have to migrate to an newer DirectX version because not being able to support an GPU manufacturer because the API required Dates back to Windows XP, is kind of a problem. Hopefully with HH purchase of the Realflight Franchise, they will have the funds to hire proper game developers that can migrate Realflight in a new version. I would venture to guess we would hear about it around the middle of next year.

It sounds easy but it really isn't because the would have already done it by now. Realflight is going to need a completely new Game engine to run on as the one they have now is custom for Realflight and runs only on DX9. It has been talked about in years past and unfortunately now they pretty much have to migrate to an newer DirectX version because not being able to support an GPU manufacturer because the API required Dates back to Windows XP, is kind of a problem. Hopefully with HH purchase of the Realflight Franchise, they will have the funds to hire proper game developers that can migrate Realflight in a new version. I would venture to guess we would hear about it around the middle of next year.
As a retired software engineer that worked for three different 3d graphics companies (3dfx interactive, cirrus logic, and pixel semiconductor) I know all the things you're talking about but it is possible to upgrade the custom graphics engine they use now to DX11. But to do that you have to hire a 3d game engine designer and they're both expensive and hard to hire for a small product like RF. A good 3d engine designer can take the existing custom graphics engine and translate all the DX9 calls to work with DX11. Yes it takes a bunch of research in the beginning and debugging in the end but it can be done. With that solution you get RF as it is "now" moved to DX11 no other improvements but keeps the complete feature set. At the same time you could have a good artist rework all the textures and you'd end up with a very nice improvement, not RF-X quality but a very nice improvement in how the 3d fields look. I've been involved in projects just like that.

The Problem is the 6800xt GPU. AMD drivers do not support the DX9 API anymore which means Realflight will not run. There is a workaround in another thread where people can get it to work using a Virtual Machine but being in Steam that may not be possible. The only other option would be use an nVidia GPU as they work fine with Realflight.
Do you have a link to the said work-around?

Middle of next year, nothing happend! :-(

Back