RF9 Flight Mode Bug with WS1000/WS2000 USB Dongles

V-22

I bought RF9 to practice with the E-Flite V-22 Osprey before flying it, and noticed a bug in the software regarding the flight mode switch when using your own transmitter with the WS1000/WS2000 USB Dongles. When the flight mode switch (switch B) is set to Airplane Stability mode (position 1), the Flight Mode gadget indicates Airplane Stability mode, but stability mode is not active (eg there are no pitch/roll limits). When using the Interlink DX controller, Stability mode works properly.

Details:
DX8G2 bound to WS2000 and calibrated in RF9. I have also been able to reproduce the bug using a MLP6DSM bound to the WS2000.

Model select: E-Flite V-22 Osprey

Mode selection switch (Switch B) on the transmitter changes flight mode according to the flight mode gadget (position 0 - Multirotor Stability mode, position 1 - Airplane Stability mode, position 2 - Airplane (Acro) mode), but when flying the aircraft there is no difference between position 1 and position 2. Switching to the Interlink DX controller allows for the use of stability mode when in position 1, and acro mode when in position 2.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Sounds to me like you don't have your DX8G2 properly set up for that aircraft. It only needs 8 channels. you need to go through the controller setup. Not a bug.

Sounds to me like you don't have your DX8G2 properly set up for that aircraft. It only needs 8 channels. you need to go through the controller setup. Not a bug.
As far as I can tell it is setup properly. The mode switch is setup exactly the same as the Interlink DX controller, and togging the switch shows that the flight mode is changing in the Flight Mode gadget. It's just that stability mode is not actually enabled, even though RF9 says it is. I'm guessing it's a bug in how RF9 actually toggles on "stability mode".

I'm open to ideas/suggestions on what to try next, but it really seems like a software bug.

Can someone else with RF9 and the WS2000 dongle see if they can reproduce this?

It's probably just the way the model is set up and can be fixed in the editor. Check what channel under the Electronics tab the Spektrum Flight Controller flight mode is tied to. Then under the Radio tab see what input is assigned to that channel. If needed you could also create a new Output Channel and for it's input assign it to your switch B. Then make that the flight mode channel under the Spektrum Flight Controller. I'm guessing the channel you have assigned to Switch B isn't the same channel the DX is using for that switch.

Maybe I'm not being clear - the switch is properly assigned and setup exactly the same as the switch on the Interlink controller. Toggling the switch shows the flight mode toggling in RF9 (both in the flight mode gadget and the radio gadget), and I can change between multirotor stability mode, airplane stability mode, and airplane (acro) mode using Switch B on the DX8G2. However, when I select Airplane Stability mode (Switch B, position 1), even though the flight mode gadget shows the flight mode as Airplane Stability mode, Stability mode is not active. I can reproduce the bug with a MLP6DSM bound to the WS2000 as well. If you have a WS2000 (or I assume WS1000) dongle, you can verify this yourself.

I think I figured it out for the DX8G2. Even though the flight mode toggle shows as working in the Flight Mode gadget when you have the radio configured for the V-22 (eg Flight Mode Switch B assigned to 5 GEAR), for whatever reason Airplane Stability mode does not actually engage. While the flight mode shows Airplane Stability mode when Switch B is in position 1, Stability mode is not active as no pitch/roll limits or auto-leveling are present.
Non-working channel assignments:
5 GEAR: Gear
6 AUX1: Aux 1

By creating a copy of my V-22 model and making the follow changes under Channel Assign, I was able to get all three flight modes working properly.
Working channel assignments:
5 GEAR: Inhibit
6 AUX1: Gear

Next I needed to make sure Switch B was properly calibrated. Start Calibration with the Switch in Position 1, then toggle it to Pos 0 an 2.

I hope this helps anyone else having the same issue!

Back