RFB and Wind

GLFaria

Is anyone able to judge, from the behavior of the planes on the simulator, approximately what wind speed would a given amount of wind sock deflection simulate?

For instance, the sleeve at about 45 degrees from vertical would simulate aproximately what wind speed? I can deal with this sleeve deflection in RFB with no big trouble, but don't have a clue about what it would mean in real life.

Above a certain amount of sleeve deflection (maybe about 60 degrees or so) one can hear a noise like a rather strong wind blowing, but again, apart from considering that it might suggest something like a a mild gale, no way to know what one would be up to if he were foolish enough to launch a plane under these conditions.

Ideas, anyone?

Cheers

G.

A wind sock should orient itself according to the wind direction due to a 3-knot (5.6 km/h; 3.5 mph) wind speed. In general, the wind sock side seams should be at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions.

The taper of the fabric wind sock from the throat to the trailing end must be designed to cause the wind sock to fully extend when exposed to a wind of 15 knots (28 km/hr or 17 mph). FAA Advisory Circular 150/5345-27D also provides specifications for externally lighted, internally lighted, and unlighted wind socks.
http://www.brighthub.com/environment/renewable-energy/articles/88593.aspx

Maj. Numbskully ...wind sock to fully extend when exposed to a wind of 15 knots (28 km/hr or 17 mph). [url said:
http://www.brighthub.com/environment/renewable-energy/articles/88593.aspx[/url]

Thanks. But...
...should one assume that "fully extend" in these specification means "fully extended and horizontal"?
Because one often sees socks fully extended but tilted anyway, and from there to horizontal there is quite a lot of difference in wind speed.

G.

I always understood this to mean no bends in the sock .....not necessarily perfectly horizontal

It'll luff occasionally as wind speed is never really constant and from exactly the same direction all the time, even at speeds above 15 knots

Can you change/set the gust / turbulence percentages in basic ?
I like 'em around 30% at least
more real that way

Last edited:
Wind

I've read on other forums that for Real Flight Basic, you adjust wind speed with "Up Pg/Dn Pg and direction with Home/End. I've tired that and it does not seem to work. I am running Windows 7 on a relatively new machine and I purchased my Real Flight Basic Mode 2 about 6 months ago. Can anyone suggest what I might do to get wind to work?
Thanks - tumbleweed

Check your windows keyboard settings.

You can specify keyboard locales, that if not set correctly or not set at all, can screw up what programs see as keyboard inputs from function and arrow keys.

Wind/Direction settings

Ok, what I figured out on my computer is that I need to press the "Fn" button while adjusting wind speed (Pg Up/Pg Dn) and also while adjusting wind direction (Home/End).

thanks!

Great that you found it.

Your keyboard probably came with utility software that permits you to set the default state of the FN keys.

A lot of multimedia keyboards do this.

Check the settings and make the system boot with the FN keys enabled by default, not in multi-media mode.

Back