RFE Crashes when using Select Aircraft

LeeDCO

I cannot select aircraft. I'm currently "stuck" on the store purchased E-flite_Ultra Stick 1.1m ARF model. Whenever I try to select another aircraft RF crashes out to Steam. It crashes both when I use the select aircraft icon that pops up on the left side of the RF window AND if I try to select an aircraft from the Free Play menu line after hitting ESC. The crashing started happening AFTER I downloaded and used the Ultra Stick model. Before that aircraft was imported, I was able to select from the list of installed aircraft.

When using the Select Aircraft from Free Play, I can select from the installed list but after pressing Select Aircraft, the new model never loads. The name of the aircraft is displayed on a black dialog box in the right hand window but that's it. I can back out of this using Cancel/ESC and return to the main RFE window, still stuck on the Ultra Stick model. I don't find a way to DELETE a model (as in, try to delete the current Ultra Stick model and therefore be able to load something else).

Close RF Evolution.
Navigate to Documents/Realflight Evolution/Vehicles/CustomModels folder, find the model that is causing the concern and delete it, continue scrolling down in the Custom Models folder and delete the .bse file related to the model, next select the CustomVehicles folder, find the .rfvehicle file for the problem model and delete it.
Start RF Evolution and test.

The CustomModels folder was empty, no files to delete. I did find two files in the CustomVehicles folder and deleted them. No file name matched the name of the aircraft currently loaded. RF continues to crash to desktop. I cannot find any way to change the aircraft currently loaded. I'm thinking of deleting RFE and reloading it. Not crazy about that, but the program seems like it's stuck....

I'm late reading this thread, have you tried this? Make sure RF EVO is NOT running. Go to your RF Evolution folder and re-name the RealFlight64.ini file to RealFlight64.BAK then start RF EVO. RF EVO will RE-CREATE the RealFlight64.ini file with default settings. Then you can go back to your renamed ini file if it doesn't help and you had settings in it you wanted to keep.

Right click on the RF Evolution name in your Steam library, select "Manage", select "Uninstall", but before doing that try renaming the Realflight64.ini file as Technoid suggested.
Another option to try is right click on the RFE name (in the library) and select "Properties", select "Installed Files", next click on the "Verify Integrity of Game Files", Steam will run a check for corrupt files.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-09 192733.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-09 192733.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 1
Again, thanks for the feedback. I first tried renaming and deleting the .ini file. Still crashed. I then did the "Verify Integrity of Game Files". Still Crashed. I that I then Uninstalled the software via Steam. I also did a File Explorer delete of the RFE main folder from the C: drive (which interestingly was still in place AFTER performing the Steam "Uninstall". I then reinstalled the software via Steam. Upon opening RFE, I was surprised to see the Ultra Stick as the selected model. I was thinking that a clean install of the software would bring up the typical RFE default opening aircraft (not sure what that was in my case, either the Habu or the Apprentice...) but instead I got the only Store added aircraft I have downloaded. And unfortunately, RFE crashed.

I also just tried a new route to changing aircraft, by using the Select a Scenario menu selection. Same result

FWIW I always get the error message "An unexpected error has occurred. Do you want to send an error report to the RealFlight Team?". I get this error no matter what "route" I have selected to get away from the current aircraft. I have pretty consistently answered Yes. I'm not sure if this is an RFE error message or a Windows error message, so I'm also not sure if there's any way to follow-up with RF as to whether they have seen any "reports" which I assume are some kind of error diagnostics.

Do you have Windows OneDrive installed?
What is the location of the RFE folder, should be in C:/Users/yourname/Documents.

Look at this thread.

Did not have OneDrive installed, however, this thread indicated that symbolic links might blow up RFE. I have been running RFE in a Virtual Machine (VM) which was apparently improperly configured relative to disk locations. After reconfiguring the setup of the VM RFE opened with a different aircraft than the Ultra Stick 1.1 and I can once again change aircraft via any of the Select Aircraft pathways. So thanks for sharing your troubleshooting experiences until we found the right solution.

Back