Show the Legacy Menu System

flightengr

I still haven't gotten used to the new menus, as I've mentioned over on RCGroups. I posted this hint about getting the old (legacy) menus back over on RCG, and I've been asked to post it here as well.

Totally by accident, I found the command-line console for RealFlight. I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but I didn't know about it. Reaching for the ESC key, I accidentally pressed the back quote key (the backwards apostrophe key to the left of the 1 key), and that brought up a command line console for text commands. You can type "help" for a list of commands, and wow, one of the commands is "showlegacymenu"!

So press the back quote key to show the console, then enter "showlegacymenu", and then press the back quote key again to hide the console.

The setting appears to be permanent, too. I closed RF Evo and then opened it again, and the legacy menus stayed there. I didn't have to repeat those steps to get it back.

Even with the legacy menus visible, the new menu system still works if you want to use it, with the advantage of the new menu system being that you can move around the menus with just the InterLink DX controller and not the mouse.

Should you want to turn the legacy menu off, repeat the same process. "showlegacymenu" toggles the legacy menu on or off.

I'll try to get used to the new menus, but I've already found it's much easier to see the new aircraft models and how they're organized using the legacy menu system that I've been familiar with for a long time.

@flightengr Thank you for posting your findings!

I switched back to the legacy menu yesterday and spent time editing some airplane models to add flap-to-elevator mixing. I spent considerable time jumping between aircraft editing and testing the mix setting. For me, the legacy menu made the editing/testing scenario much quicker.

The new menu scheme was the one item that was annoying me about RF Evolution. With the ability to use the legacy menu as my 'standard menu', I'm now a happy camper with RF Evolution.

I admit, I like Evo a lot better now that the menus are back to the way I'm used to seeing them.

I appreciate the design goal of the new menus that allows them to be controlled with just a couple of buttons and the roller wheel on the InterLink DX, but I'm glad we still have the choice to use normal Windows menus with a mouse. The traditional Windows menus aren't as pretty, but they're very functional when used with a mouse.

Evolution legacy menu mode: you can use the DX scroll wheel "Click" function to bring up the left screen selection bar, use the scroll wheel to move up/down the selection bar, click the wheel to select.

Yes, there's a selection bar that's like a "commonly used items" menu that has been in RF for quite a while. It will pop up on the left side of the screen. There are two ways to bring it up - one is by clicking the scroll wheel on InterLink DX, and the other is by pushing your mouse into the center of the left side of the screen. That's another way to change the aircraft or the flying site (airport) fairly quickly.

This one works whether or not you have the legacy menus enabled. It may be enough for some who are OK with the new menus but wish there was a faster way to change the aircraft or the airport.

I still haven't gotten used to the new menus, as I've mentioned over on RCGroups. I posted this hint about getting the old (legacy) menus back over on RCG, and I've been asked to post it here as well.

Totally by accident, I found the command-line console for RealFlight. I'm sure it's documented somewhere, but I didn't know about it. Reaching for the ESC key, I accidentally pressed the back quote key (the backwards apostrophe key to the left of the 1 key), and that brought up a command line console for text commands. You can type "help" for a list of commands, and wow, one of the commands is "showlegacymenu"!

So press the back quote key to show the console, then enter "showlegacymenu", and then press the back quote key again to hide the console.

The setting appears to be permanent, too. I closed RF Evo and then opened it again, and the legacy menus stayed there. I didn't have to repeat those steps to get it back.

Even with the legacy menus visible, the new menu system still works if you want to use it, with the advantage of the new menu system being that you can move around the menus with just the InterLink DX controller and not the mouse.

Should you want to turn the legacy menu off, repeat the same process. "showlegacymenu" toggles the legacy menu on or off.

I'll try to get used to the new menus, but I've already found it's much easier to see the new aircraft models and how they're organized using the legacy menu system that I've been familiar with for a long time.
Thanks for the info. It worked good, but how do you view the "new menu" once you make the change? Can't find it. Thanks!

Mr. flightengr, I am so grateful for all your help. I posted a new thread on RC Groups regarding some Spectrum servos. Would it be possible for you to review the question I posted? Thank you!

I found your post on RCG. I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. I can help with Spektrum transmitters and receivers.

THANK YOU! This has been annoying me since I got Evolution, not having the menu selections across the top like always. I think it was a very poor decision to hide them in the first place.

Thanks for the tip. Was struggling to get the missing top menu bar back I was used to seeing but could not bring it up. Only thing different is I have to re-enter console command everytime to get it back after restart of program. It also still shows the boxed tip near top of screen informing one about bringing up menus with esc key or cancel button on controller (mine is Interlink Elite Futaba), however, if either one of these actions is attempted the program crashes and window pops up about sending crash report to realflight. Have tried disable steam input and also making sure nvidia graphics is default for the realflight and steam apps with no luck.

Okay legacy menu stays active now after restart of RF but I still have that message at top of screen about using esc or cancel button to bring up menus. System crashes every time if you try this but I just wish I could get rid of this message box altogether.

When I press ~ I do not see console, nothing happens. Now I used right click on start and execute. WHen I entered "showlegacymenu" it cannot find the file

Press Control+Shift+C keys simultaneously to enter the Commands screen.
Use the same combination of keys to exit the commands.

Tilde not working (~)

Edited as below does open Chat, not Console.
Keyboard language issue. Per example with french keyboard, while in Realflight, hit the [Enter] key after pressing the Tilde. Then the command line does appear.
While in Realflight, enable the Windows On-Screen Keyboard [Windows] + [Ctrl] + [O] and mouse click directly on the [Enter] key (Tilde not required).

If you want absolutely use the Tilde:
1. Enable Windows keyboard EN-US, add keyboard if not available
2. Enable it: ENG to be displayed in the taskbar
3. Display Windows On-Screen Keyboard: [Windows] + [Ctrl] + [O]
4. The Tilde is available on top left close to Esc, click on it

Otherwise press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+C keys.

Last edited:
Back