SIG Four Star 54

laurie02

Hi all
I couldn't find a request page so I thought I would just try a thread...
Can anyone build me a SIG Four Star 54 with a power 46 electric 6s 4500mah in red?
I'm a newb and not too good with RF9.5....yet.

red or yellow is fine too
and if you want another project a Flybaby EP same specs?

Cheers

Couldn`t find a request thread..?????? it seems to me that you already have,... looking at the "what`s new", I see that you`ve already made the same request in "request aircraft here" thread... you`re borderline cavalier in the way that you "request". It`s as if you think that there`s a ton of modelers around here just waiting for another project to build by asking for yet "another project"...(Flybaby EP) WHILE you`re already requesting a SIG,...Hate to burst your bubble laurie02, it`s never worked that way around here in RF, granted you`re a newb, but familiarize yourself with the water before you just dive in. ...IF you had tried using the "search" function (upper right of page) you`d have found the SIG....

Last edited:
If you want the Flybaby, you`ll need the "add on`s 2" ....they`re free. It`s probably gas as well.

Last edited:
Hi all
I couldn't find a request page so I thought I would just try a thread...
Can anyone build me a SIG Four Star 54 with a power 46 electric 6s 4500mah in red?
I'm a newb and not too good with RF9.5....yet.

red or yellow is fine too
and if you want another project a Flybaby EP same specs?

Cheers
you can make the
sig Four Star 54 electric but you can't get rid of the glow engine visual so that would be the only issue

Is there a good tutorial on using the editor? I know there are many threads on editing and designing airplanes but they seem to be spread over most of the Designer Forums and it is hard to know, at least for me, what is current and what is obsolete. The Sig Four Star 54 is actually a plane I'm building so I thought I would work through the process of editing an airplane to match it.

I started by downloading and importing the Sig Four Star_EA by Heeleycopter. It works fine.

Now I want to emulate the Four Star 54. In looking at the EA file in the editor I see a wing length of 36.2 inches. I assume that is for one wing so a wingspan of 72.4 inches and a fuselage length of 54.4 inches (if I'm reading the editor correctly). That looks to me like it is based on a Four Star 60 as the dimensions are close.

To just try my hand at editing, I changed the motor from an O.S. .52 4-stroke to a Rimfire 42-50-800 and the sound file to a small brushless. It worked but it doesn't even take off I assume because the motor is too small for the airframe. I then did a Save As Four Star-EP. Is this stored somewhere as a _AV file or does that only happen when I export?

I noticed that Doug Schluter did an AV for RF 7.5 should I download that as well and use it as the base for my changes?

So my first change, I would guess is to change all of dimensions and weights to match a Four Star 40 which the 54 is based on. Do I need to go into the editor and change each parameter for each surface to match the 40 or is there an easier way? Then I need to clip the wings. I realize that I can't change the graphic for the plane easily. That is a chore for much later, if ever. But... if I clip the wings will that mess up the graphics? I assume the graphic will still show the full length wing but the dynamics will match the clipped wing.

Sorry for all of the questions. I don't mind doing the research to answer my own questions but it seems that unless you have been around with RF for several releases it is hard to find the information in the forums. For instance I saw references to how to install the add-ons packs but I never did find a list of what was in the packs to see if I wanted them. I finally just downloaded them and added them. Glad I did. Search helps but its still hard to find things unless you know where to look.

Tom

Is there a good tutorial on using the editor? I know there are many threads on editing and designing airplanes but they seem to be spread over most of the Designer Forums and it is hard to know, at least for me, what is current and what is obsolete. The Sig Four Star 54 is actually a plane I'm building so I thought I would work through the process of editing an airplane to match it.

I started by downloading and importing the Sig Four Star_EA by Heeleycopter. It works fine.

Now I want to emulate the Four Star 54. In looking at the EA file in the editor I see a wing length of 36.2 inches. I assume that is for one wing so a wingspan of 72.4 inches and a fuselage length of 54.4 inches (if I'm reading the editor correctly). That looks to me like it is based on a Four Star 60 as the dimensions are close.

To just try my hand at editing, I changed the motor from an O.S. .52 4-stroke to a Rimfire 42-50-800 and the sound file to a small brushless. It worked but it doesn't even take off I assume because the motor is too small for the airframe. I then did a Save As Four Star-EP. Is this stored somewhere as a _AV file or does that only happen when I export?

I noticed that Doug Schluter did an AV for RF 7.5 should I download that as well and use it as the base for my changes?

So my first change, I would guess is to change all of dimensions and weights to match a Four Star 40 which the 54 is based on. Do I need to go into the editor and change each parameter for each surface to match the 40 or is there an easier way? Then I need to clip the wings. I realize that I can't change the graphic for the plane easily. That is a chore for much later, if ever. But... if I clip the wings will that mess up the graphics? I assume the graphic will still show the full length wing but the dynamics will match the clipped wing.

Sorry for all of the questions. I don't mind doing the research to answer my own questions but it seems that unless you have been around with RF for several releases it is hard to find the information in the forums. For instance I saw references to how to install the add-ons packs but I never did find a list of what was in the packs to see if I wanted them. I finally just downloaded them and added them. Glad I did. Search helps but its still hard to find things unless you know where to look.

Tom
there are a couple of physics tutorials here check this out

It takes a lot of time, practice, and patience to re-size and/or convert a model to electric and do it right. Over the years the guys on here have given me a ton of help and suggestions. Keep experimenting and read the tutorials.

Doug and BrokeDad,

Thanks. A lot to absorb. By any chance is there a newer tutorial. Just started going through it and I already have questions. I don't see "Mass Scaling Factor" in the Editor for 9.5. Is there an equivalent or am I not seeing it?

Doug and BrokeDad,

Thanks. A lot to absorb. By any chance is there a newer tutorial. Just started going through it and I already have questions. I don't see "Mass Scaling Factor" in the Editor for 9.5. Is there an equivalent or am I not seeing it?

I'm thinking that's Edit - Rescale Physics to

Even after using that you will still need to adjust weights etc. If you scale up you will need to reduce the lift on all the surfaces otherwise the model will seem to just float in the air. The opposite for scaling down. Converting to electric you will need to match the motor to the cell count so that the current(amps) drawn is realistic. Of course you can run unlimited fuel but I make mine so they could actually exist in the real world. Most often you will need to adjust the CG of the airframe also. Well there .. those are a few things to get your started.

BrokeDad,

Thanks I'll try that. The good news is that by just fixing the battery (4S 2200 Lipo) and the propeller (13x6.5) it flies, kinda... The CG is obviously way off. Probably will make a custom battery as the weight it calculated is way off.

Tom

Back