SIG Rascal

Wasn't able to work on the Rascal for a day or two, but finally was able to put some time towards it tonight.

I snapped some photos of the wings, took some measurements and loaded them up into the Rascal file. I now basically have all major exterior components modeled and set into place.

The transparent "cut-out" on the wings are just temporary again, this will be done in the alpha later. I added it now, so I can see exactly how much of the inner ribs / structure will need to be modeled....and also for some screen shots.

Currently I don't have any dihedral set up on the wings (does anyone know off hand what the stock dihedral is?) If not I can get my gauges out and figure off of my wings.

Right now with everything duplicated:

~2 Fuses
~h-stab & elevator exterior "smooth skin" & h-stab & elevator inner structure
~v-stab & rudder exterior "smooth skin" & v-stab $ rudder inner structure
~2 complete main wings

and singles of all the other components I'm sitting right at 12,000 polys

I duplicated the above components just to gain a better idea, I will actually be able to shave a fair amount of those polys away, when I actually remove the unneeded portions of inner structure that won't be visible. With that said, I'm still curious to see how many polys the wing ribs and inner fuse will take.

Attachments

• Rascal 13.jpg
    Rascal 13.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Rascal 14.jpg
    Rascal 14.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Rascal 15.jpg
    Rascal 15.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 13
Man it looks very nice in it's outline and no shading issues. This should end up a real nice model.

Thanks boof, I'm trying to do as good as I can on this.

My wife had to go work a night shift, so I thought I would continue working on this (now it's too late and I should have gone to bed a while ago!ha)

I've got all the wing ribs and caps completed. Only remaining structure inside of wing is the servo mounting rails.

Luckily the main spar and rear spar are only about a 1/4 out from the transparent opening, so I only needed to model the short middle section of the rib cord.

Edit: I notice I forgot to re-size the last 6 attachments I've added tonight. Be sure to click on the photo if you want to see it clearer.

Attachments

• Rascal 16.jpg
    Rascal 16.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Rascal 17.jpg
    Rascal 17.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Rascal 18.jpg
    Rascal 18.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Wow, it's really looking great! :D

Don't know if a head-on photo will help with the dihedral angle but here is one:

Attachments

• Rascal Dihedral.jpg
    Rascal Dihedral.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 22
Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still here, just have had a busy end to the week so haven't had much time to put towards the Rascal. Should get back on it in the next day or so. Next task is to finish some servo mounts in the wings and get some stringers in the fuse.

Take your time. No one is rushing you. Good things come to those who wait. ;)

Careful giving me too much slack!haha

Started on the rear fuse inner structure.

Attachments

• Rascal 19.jpg
    Rascal 19.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Rascal 20.jpg
    Rascal 20.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

~Finished off the forward inner fuse structure (didn't get as detailed here) I will most likely add the servos (behind the side windows) on the CS.

~Modeled the "dash" and added the roll bar "V"

~Modeled the wing servo hatches / push rod exit fairings as well as the servo mounting rails in the wings.

Currently with all objects selected for the current visual model I'm right at 13,500 polys. This includes inner and outer surfaces, but does not include the clean-up and deletion of some hidden surfaces that are not needed. It's certainly a high poly count, but I've added a ton of detail.

Still a lot to do, but things on my soon to do list are:

Control horns / push rods
Servos in wing (need low poly servo)

Attachments

• Rascal 21.jpg
    Rascal 21.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Rascal 22.jpg
    Rascal 22.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
  • Rascal 23.jpg
    Rascal 23.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 14
Forgot to ask this question:

If I want to add holes to the wing ribs using the alpha layer, will the "thickness" of the rib be wood colored? Or would the inner edge of the hole be hollow looking in the finished product?

Without inner faces, I dont see it being shown as wood. Im not good with the alphs layer, but if they are not there, they're not there.

As for a low poly servo, if you want this one, post #88 has one I use. Servo, arms, rods and horn only 432 polys.

https://forums.realflight.com/showthread.php?t=24818&page=6

That was my thought as well....if that's the case the wing ribs might have to go without holes. That would have been a nice added touch to the inner structure, but I don't feel like carving out a bunch of holes (& polys) in each of those ribs. Each rib has two holes, and the inner two ribs on each wing has 3 holes.

Forgot to ask this question:

If I want to add holes to the wing ribs using the alpha layer, will the "thickness" of the rib be wood colored? Or would the inner edge of the hole be hollow looking in the finished product?

It will be looking hollow, depending on what material tag you are using (~SBS would do the job). But the inner cylindrical faces of the wholes are not modeled, so not visible and therefore you would directly see the faces of the ribs on the other side...

It will be looking hollow, depending on what material tag you are using (~SBS would do the job). But the inner cylindrical faces of the wholes are not modeled, so not visible and therefore you would directly see the faces of the ribs on the other side...

Bummer, thanks for the info though. Well I'll see if at the end of the project I have room for them.....however I wouldn't be looking forward to carving all those holes in the ribs, unless I don't know the easy way to make them?

Back