Solution to jerky video/slow frame rates...

WARadioControl

My son received the Basic version for Christmas. We got it running on his desktop machine without too many problems and it's been running great for days.

Then, this morning, it suddenly began acting weird. After a fresh restart, the first flight (any aircraft) would be normal. But second and subsequent flights would yield about 1-3 frames per second. That's not an exaggeration... it was really that slow. Restarting the software fixed it for the first flight every time.

I went through all the usual Windows XP configuration options trying to find anything that gave a clue. Task Manager showed RealFlight sitting at 100% CPU (true whether video was working properly or not) but the memory consumption was within acceptable limits and we weren't hitting the pagefile.

I finally found it by accident: Running Basic in full screen mode causes this behavior. Being in "resizable window" mode fixes it. Interestingly, this is true even if you manually expand the resizable window to occupy the entire screen! Something about clicking that center box in the upper right corner changes the way Basic operates and really, REALLY damages its video operation.

Apparently he had been running it in resizable mode for the first couple of days, and only this morning decided to put it in full screen mode.

Very weird. Thought I'd pass it along in case it helps anyone else. If you're having video problems, get out of full screen mode and see if things get better. They sure did for us.

Thanks!

Full Screen mode causes your video card to save the underlying desktop ( called "save-unders" ) and then allocate a new video buffer for 3D.

On MOST performance video cards, full screen mode produces the highest FPS, and kicks in all of the capabilities of the video card.

In Windowed mode, some of the things the video card can do are purposely turned off, as they would interfer with Windows... e.g. anti-aliasing, etc.

If your system runs SLOWER in full screen mode, then it is likely your video card ( or in rare instances there is a problem with the driver... ) is not really capable of rendering 3D at full screen resolutions... in other words, it cannot keep up with 3D demands.

Typically this occurs with entry level 3D cards and 3D graphics adaptors built into laptops and motherboards.

Most newer ATI and Nvidia cards do not suffer from this, but there are a few exceptions. With these cards full screen mode is the way to go.

Interesting...

Additional info: This is a brand new video card, opened Christmas morning alongside the RF Basic. It uses Nvidia's 5200 chipset and I purposefully downloaded the latest version of DirectX from Microsoft's website after installing it. Then I ran dxdiag.exe and confirmed that all tests pass with no errors. I'm also running the latest version of the Windows drivers.

It's definitely not the fastest card out there but it's also not the slowest!

Rest of the system: 1.8GHz, 768MB, 40GB, XP SP2. I'm an EE/software developer (Assembly, C, C++, etc.) and I keep our family's machines lean and mean so they're not running a whole bunch of useless NT Services and other garbage. Example: TaskMan reports a total of 14 processes with no foreground apps running.

Thanks!

WARadioControl said:
.It's definitely not the fastest card out there but it's also not the slowest!
The card may be new in box, but that chipset is very old. I'm not even sure if it would be fully DX9 compliant, even though DXDiag turned up no errors.

I have to ask: what cards did you find that are slower?

Yeah the 5200 is very low end.

In order of increasing performance

Integrated Cards:
--------------------
Intel GMA900
Intel GMA950
Intel GMA X3100
Intel GMA X4500
Nvidia GeForce 8200M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200
Nvidia GeForce 9400M
Nvidia GeForce G102M
Nvidia GeForce G105M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Low-end to Mid range
--------------------------
NVidia GeForce 5200-G/GS
NVidia GeForce 7200-G/GS
Nvidia GeForce 9200M-G/GS
Nvidia GeForce 8400M-G/GS
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400
Nvidia GeForce 9300M-G/GS
Nvidia GeForce 9400M-G
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450/3470

Performance Cards
---------------------------
Nvidia GeForce 8600M-GS
Nvidia GeForce 9500M-G
Nvidia GeForce G210M
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 8600M-GT DDR2/9500M-GS DDR2 (same card)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 GDDR3
Nvidia GeForce 9600M-GS
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Nvidia GeForce 8600M-GT GDDR3
Nvidia GeForce 9600M-GT DDR2/9650M-GT DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 GDDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Nvidia GeForce 9600M-GT GDDR3
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670
Nvidia GeForce 8700M-GT/9650M-GS (same card)
Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
Nvidia GeForce 9700M-GT
Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
Nvidia GeForce GT 240M

High End Cards
----------------------
Nvidia GeForce 8600M-GT SLI
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
Nvidia GeForce 9700M-GTS
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670
Nvidia GeForce 8700M-GT SLI
Nvidia GeForce 9800M-GS