Some one to make a airport for me?

pro4tundra

I was wondering if there is any one out there that would be willing to make a photo-field for me if i give you all the pictures. I attempted it once and i was completely lost on how to do it. If any would would, just let me know about how many pictures and how may rows of pictures you need for it. Thanks!

Can I be the bearer of bad news? And please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be mean. If you don't understand the process of making a photofield, it's unlikely that you understand exactly how to take all of those pictures, either. I don't think that you could get good results. Each picture must be taken from the EXACT same location, otherwise, you get bad results. The stitching software won't be able to process pictures that aren't taken in the right way. Good equipment is a plus, also. Do a Google search on creating a panoramic or 360*180 picture. There is some good info out there, but you'll see why it's not a simple process.

lets see some of the pictuers

Hey Pro4tundra

Jeff is right , with out good picture it is hard to get a nice field. The first thing I did for RF was made a photo field of Chapin Field Wichita Kansas. It was freezing that day a bit windy and the clouds where really dark and nasty, I used a cheap digital camera and just turned around in a circle taking pictures. I did not take picture of the sky or the ground. It came out ok but took a lot to hand stitch them together.

Is there a place where you can post the picture like Photo bucket or another hosting sight. I'll take a look at them and tell you if they are worth the time it take to make a Photo field.

Would just a standard tripod work? I found a calculator on the internet some where and for my focal length and stuff that i needed 5 rows of 7 pictures. Does that sound right? I'm going friday to the gym that i want to make a photo field of. I'll have the pictures then.

The most important thing to remember is Overlap of at least 20% between pics and rows. This gives the software enough information to align them.
Whether it's 5 pics or 20 has a lot to do with your focal length and overlap.
No hard rules, let your eyes guide you.

What I'm trying to say is, don't expect Expansion Pack quality results, you're still a long way from there, but each try will get you closer.

Last edited:
I have only done one pano and it turned out very well in my opinion. If I had taken about two more pics of the sky it would have been perfect. Just to let you know I took over 100 pics. In my opinion more the better. It gives the stitching programs more room to work with . Just start with an empty memory card and some fully charged batteries. Turn off the quick view on your camera. You know how it shows you the pic after you just took it. By doing this you can go much faster.

pro4tundra,

Look at the component images in this thread...
https://forums.realflight.com/showpost.php?p=111603&postcount=5

Your task will be much easier faking this with a tripod if you use 8 images around and 5 rows, 1st row at horizon all the way around, next row up +30 degrees all the way around, next row up +60 degrees, then down -30 degrees, -60 degrees... Provided that your camera will give adequate overlapping coverage.

Eight shots around is an interval of 45 degrees, many tripod heads will have these gradations marked, 360/7 images around would be much harder to interpolate...

Shoot a single row all the way around 1st and attempt to stitch it... Does it work? If it does get more ambitious next time. If not try to figure out why, if it doesn't work with 8 images it sure won't work with 40 and you will have invested WAY more time!!

Finally, will you get parallax errors if you fail to use a proper pano head? Sure, but who cares? You are just learning now and the errors will not be terribly bad unless something is very close to the tripod like a safety fence, etc. Try to stay well away from structures and you should be fine for initial experiments.

Good luck and let us know how it works out...

Charlie

PTGui is the best IMO, free trial download at PTGui.com.

You may also consider AutopanoPro free demo or Hugin which is open source and free...

Search this forum or RC Groups forum on photofields, panorama fields, etc.

Google panorama photography for more general pano info, tutorials, software, and hardware info...

Back