Spektrum DX or NX video for Setting up Transmitter

Hi

Does anyone have any links to step by step videos for setting up RF for planes and helis. Really new to the hobby and struggling. Just want to make sure everything is setup correctly for the best experience before I start with training with my Align 500 and Riot

Thanks

You really only need one basic model that's set up like an airplane on your radio. All RealFlight is looking for is four channels for your sticks, and then you can put more channels on switches to control various things such as flight modes, flaps, landing gear, panic mode (on a few models), and the throttle hold feature on all helis.

I have a couple of writeups in my RF blog on RCGroups for both the WS1000/2000 USB receivers and for using NX via USB. They describe having separate models for planes and helis, but I've come to realize that most helis don't expect you to control the pitch from your radio. Instead, the pitch curve is managed within the Aircraft Editor in RealFlight.

Bear in mind that RealFlight is primarily designed to work with the InterLink USB controllers, which are not programmable at all. They would represent just one model on a radio such as a DX or NX. So there's no need to overthink making different models for RealFlight like you would do for real model aircraft. The biggest difference is that every switch and button on the InterLink controllers can do something in RealFlight, which makes the InterLink DX functionally equivalent to about a 20-channel radio.

You really only need one basic model that's set up like an airplane on your radio. All RealFlight is looking for is four channels for your sticks, and then you can put more channels on switches to control various things such as flight modes, flaps, landing gear, panic mode (on a few models), and the throttle hold feature on all helis.

I have a couple of writeups in my RF blog on RCGroups for both the WS1000/2000 USB receivers and for using NX via USB. They describe having separate models for planes and helis, but I've come to realize that most helis don't expect you to control the pitch from your radio. Instead, the pitch curve is managed within the Aircraft Editor in RealFlight.

Bear in mind that RealFlight is primarily designed to work with the InterLink USB controllers, which are not programmable at all. They would represent just one model on a radio such as a DX or NX. So there's no need to overthink making different models for RealFlight like you would do for real model aircraft. The biggest difference is that every switch and button on the InterLink controllers can do something in RealFlight, which makes the InterLink DX functionally equivalent to about a 20-channel radio.
Thanks

Dose anyone know If the usb cords that are available support more that 8 channels? The one I have dose not specify the channel amount nor the protocol I believe it’s running PWM. I can only see 8 channels when I calibrate the game controller In the windows game pad setup.

A USB cord is a USB cord. It isn't a signal source. The cord doesn't have any protocols or channels. It simply conducts a signal from one end to the other. 1 channel in, 1 channel out. 16 channels in, 16 channels out. It's not like a USB dongle that has an 8-channel receiver built in and ignores any other channels.

The number of channels that translate into Windows game controller inputs over a USB cable is determined by your controller. Which controller are you using?

A USB cord is a USB cord. It isn't a signal source. The cord doesn't have any protocols or channels. It simply conducts a signal from one end to the other. 1 channel in, 1 channel out. 16 channels in, 16 channels out. It's not like a USB dongle that has an 8-channel receiver built in and ignores any other channels.
I guess may be using the dongle, it’s an XLR conector to - what looks like a usb flash drive size conector with a blue flashing light inside. When I purchased the cord the description was (simulator cable). I currently have a s.bus /ppm/ pwm receiver wired into it and I get 8 channels but no more. I am using and Radio Link transmitter with 12 channels. I also have an standard XLR cable to USB but when I tried to use that I think the transmitter fried 2 of my USB ports on my computer because they no longer work.

The "USB dongle" that's often referred to around here is a wireless USB receiver. It's like a regular airplane receiver but has a USB connector on the end instead of servo/PWM outputs on it. You bind your radio to the USB receiver, and the radio has no idea that it's talking to a computer. However, most (all?) of those wireless USB receivers are limited to 8 channels by their design. It may have something to do with how they map to Windows game controller inputs. Even if you use a 20-channel radio with one of these receivers, the computer (RealFlight) will only see 8 channels.

It's quite possible that your USB adapter is also limited to 8 channels by design. The maker of it should be able to verify that.

An XLR cable is used for audio signals, not PWM signals. Unfortunately, you've learned the hard way that hooking something to USB is a little more complicated than just getting the "right" connector on the end. You also have to pass the information to the computer in the way the computer is looking for it.

I got the conector type wrong it’s the pin connection on the back of the transmitter I see them used as a buddy cord port or an ELRS port.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
You'll want to do some research and see if anything between the radio and the computer is limited to 8 channels.

I'm still having trouble picturing your exact setup, maybe because you're talking about two different ways of doing it. I found something like the screen shot below that has a USB adapter ultimately leading to a servo wire that you can plug in to a receiver with S.BUS. The receiver would be a limiting factor; the one shown in the picture is a 10-channel receiver. The USB adapter could also be cutting it down to 8 channels.

Have you assigned a switch/button to all 12 channels on your radio? A way to really know how many channels are available to you in RealFlight is to go into the Controller Profile and try to assign one of those switches to a virtual RealFlight Channel. RealFlight won't map all of the possible channels by default; it takes some adjustment for RealFlight to understand and use all of the channels you're sending it.

1707146678679.png

yes I’m talking about two different ways of setting it up but currently I have almost that exact set up except for there being a 12 channel receiver. i’m wondering if there are dongle’s or USB adapters that accept all 12 channels that my transmitter is pushing out.

NX or DX TX setup

Attachments

• Spektrum TX with RF Instructions.pdf
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 13

I purchased a DXS transmitter with my RealFlight Evolution simulator. When I first started using it, the "return home and autoland" were working. Now for some reason I can't get to work. Any suggestions?

Only a couple of models have those features based on GPS equipment being added to the airplane. The description of the airplane would tell you if it can do that.

It's not likely that your Controller Profile would change itself, but that's worth checking. You should have the button input on the DXS mapped to RealFlight Channel 12 in the Controller Profile to make those features work.

Back