Spektrum InterLink DX features and benefits

Ryan Douglas

Administrator
Staff member
The new Spektrum InterLink DX is a substantial leap forward from previous incarnations of the InterLink. Check out its features:

• 15 channels! That includes 2 slider controls on the back, 2 two-position switches, 5 three-position switches, 1 knob, and 1 "panic" button. RealFlight supports up to 15 channels simultaneously, which means you have greater freedom to pick and choose exactly which controls should be mapped to which functions without making any sacrifices.
  • Greater stick input resolution! The aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle channels have dramatically more resolution than in past InterLink controllers. This isn't something you're likely to perceive consciously, but it contributes to the InterLink DX's superior feel in the sim.
  • Modeled after Spektrum transmitters! The gimbals, switches, and other controls are arranged exactly like the DX8e, and functions like rates, flaps, and throttle hold are mapped the same way.
  • Easy access to SAFE/SAFE+ "Panic"-type behavior! For models with SAFE/SAFE+ "panic"-type behavior--including bailout mode in helis and holding pattern or auto-landing behavior in planes--the DX's dedicated button is the best way to access that functionality. Making it available for any other controller type requires either editing individual vehicles to remap the controls or dedicating one of your controller's input channels in the radio profile channel map, which comes at the expense of other functionality.
  • Adjust tension and ratcheting with the turn of a screw! Want to adjust the tension on a gimbal? Want to enable/disable ratcheting? Now you can do either one without even opening the case.
  • Change modes just by sliding a switch! Patent-pending gimbal design with a spring configuration switch makes for easy Mode 1, 2, 3 or 4 selection and operation. This is super slick! No longer do you need to open the controller to change modes. No longer do you need to choose either the mode 1 or mode 2 version of RealFlight. Now the same controller comes in all boxes, and can become whichever mode you want by simply sliding a switch! And it goes beyond mode selection to also incorporate auto-centering on both sticks simultaneously, which is perfect for multirotors.
  • Return of the strap hook! For pilots who use a neck strap when flying, we have you covered. This option was not present on the InterLink-X.

Of course, the InterLink DX also retains all the familiar InterLink functionality from previous versions, such as:
  • Built-in Reset/Rewind button
  • User Interface controls for navigating portions of the software
  • Digital trims
  • Interface mode, with a trainer port for connecting your own radio (note that joystick and interface modes are not available simultaneously, though the UI controls do work in both modes)

Looks like a first class replacement for the interlink controllers. Will it be possible to use it with versions 7.5 and earlier? Thanks.

Using old interlink elite (RF6, RF7, RF8) and Interlink X RFX is possible to use and activate SAFE+ functionality or it is necessaray new interlink DX spectrum controller?

"Making it available for any other controller type requires either editing individual vehicles to remap the controls or dedicating one of your controller's input channels in the radio profile channel map, which comes at the expense of other functionality."

Using old interlink elite (RF6, RF7, RF8) and Interlink X RFX is possible to use and activate SAFE+ functionality or it is necessarily a new interlink DX spectrum controller?

More reciever channels?

Will we be able to edit this line in the editor now that the interlink has more than 12 channels
NumReceiverChannels=INT:12

from the rfvehicle file

Last edited:
Will we be able to edit this line in the editor now that the interlink has more than 12 channels

from the rfvehicle file

Careful; they might start encrypting those files. :D It's actually amazing what all you can find going through a lot of the files you have, makes me wonder what all you can do with it.

Looks like a first class replacement for the interlink controllers. Will it be possible to use it with versions 7.5 and earlier? Thanks.

Versions of RealFlight prior to 8 will not recognize the InterLink DX. It is a brand new device, and those versions of RealFlight only supported the controller devices available at the time of their creation.

RF8 will recognize it as a generic USB device. You can use it in a somewhat limited capacity; it won't support the full capabilities of the DX.

That value is currently clamped.

Supporting more channels is on our list of things to explore. It may be possible to do more down the road.

That value is currently clamped.

Supporting more channels is on our list of things to explore. It may be possible to do more down the road.

I mean it works as expected to values up till 99 and I think 100 works as well I have set it to 1000 before which required renumbering the electronic components

the picture is off the skyraider
attachment.php

Attachments

• 15 Channels.jpg
    15 Channels.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 914
Versions of RealFlight prior to 8 will not recognize the InterLink DX. It is a brand new device, and those versions of RealFlight only supported the controller devices available at the time of their creation.

RF8 will recognize it as a generic USB device. You can use it in a somewhat limited capacity; it won't support the full capabilities of the DX.

Thanks Ryan, good to know. I'll probably look at upgrading to the RF9 combo w/ new Interlink DX when it is available. Thanks again Ryan.

Will Realflight 9 be compatable with my Real Spectrum in any way?

If you are referring to your spektrum transmitter you fly with them the answer is yes and has been compatible since RF8. You can even use a wireless W1000 dongle and connect that way with RF8. Many threads about this on the forums.

Yes, your radio is compatible. You will need to connect with the back of an Interlink or bind to a wireless W1000 USB receiver module. (not included) Starting with RF8, KE removed the dongle aspect of the interlink to the software. Any windows game device can be used with RF8&RF9.

The thing is the number of channels available on your "Real" Spektrum radio. You will be missing a few channels of control unless your "Real" radio has more than 15 channels. I see no cheaper way to have 15 channels on the sim than to buy the DX sim radio. Using the keyboard is not a great option for the missing channels. Your DX6 will work for the main functions. I would expect KE to have created some brand new aircraft that fully use all the available channels.

Bottom line purchasing the DX controller is probably the cheapest way to access ALL the functions of RF9.

Will Realflight 9 be compatable(sp) with my Real Spectrum in any way?

Last edited:
I don't use the default switch assignments so I am reassigning. Looks like I am getting most to work but "throttle cut" does not cut the throttle after reassignment. How do you reassign "throttle cut: to a new switch?

k99kramer,

To what switch are you trying to assign the throttle cut? I was able to successfully re-map it to Switch I (the panic button) with no issue.

RF - DX6i settings

Question:

I have RF9 and would like to use it to fly with my Spektrum DX6i

I know it is not the optimal controler for RF9 but i only fly drone's with RF9.

Looking for the best configuration settings for the DX6i to fly drone's in RF9. Is there a step-by-step available how to set the DX6i for drone flying?

Thanks !!

Question:

I have RF9 and would like to use it to fly with my Spektrum DX6i

I know it is not the optimal controler for RF9 but i only fly drone's with RF9.

Looking for the best configuration settings for the DX6i to fly drone's in RF9. Is there a step-by-step available how to set the DX6i for drone flying?

Thanks !!

First of all you will need a Spektrum WS1000 (~$40-50);

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMWS1000

Then you need to Google on how to set it up with RF8 (same setup with RF9). There is lots of step by step instructions, including YouTube videos. Whether you fly Drones or other aircraft does not really matter.

Then you will find why the DX6i is the worst Tx Spektrum has ever made. No 3-way flight mode switch (which you need for most drones and heli's). Plus the sticks have a lot of deadband (because of the very low quality gimbals) so you are often going to be out of trim.

Honestly you are going to be far better off buying a new Spectrum Interlink DX controller, or a used Interlink Elite imho.

Last edited:
Thanks TomC

I also have a Interlink-X with my RF8
Is this a better choice to use with RF9 than my Spektrum DX6i?

I need a new Spektrum controller. Thinking about buying the Spektrum iX12 ...

Thanks TomC

I also have a Interlink-X with my RF8
Is this a better choice to use with RF9 than my Spektrum DX6i?

I need a new Spektrum controller. Thinking about buying the Spektrum iX12 ...

Ya, your interlink-x would be better imho. I have seen a few ix12's and they look and work great. I use a DX18G1 myself, no problems (planes/heli's/drones). For Drones, anything DX8G2 or better should work great imho.

Last edited:
Back