Steam Deck compatibility

Questarian

I am trying to run RealFlight Evolution on a “Steam Deck”. Has anyone been able to get this program running on Steam Deck?

I find several instances of people being able to run 9.5, but have found no instances of anyone being able to get evolution working on Steam Deck.

Has anyone been able to get it working?
As a legal owner of Evolution, is there any way to obtain 9.5 that will run on Steam Deck?

We are careful to mark RealFlight as not Steam Deck compatible, so I hope you did not purchase it with that sole use case in mind.

It's possible that situation will change in the future, whether because of a change in the RealFlight software itself, or changes to Steam Deck, or other users figuring out an approach that makes it work. I can't make any promises about any of that, though.

There is no way to downgrade to a previous version.

That's disappointing. My dad is looking for a computer to use RealFlight, and the $399 Steamdeck would be ideal. What's blocking Steamdeck compatibility, and is this something that might be resolved in the near future?

The problem is that the Steam Deck is a Linux machine that uses a software compatibility layer called Proton to help Windows games & simulators run. It appears to be highly effective for many applications, but it is not perfectly the same as running on actual Windows, so problems can arise. The software might do something that is entirely legitimate on Windows but isn't fully covered by Proton, for example.

There may come a time when RealFlight Evolution supports the Steam Deck, but I couldn't say for sure, or when that might be if so. It's a cool device and it would be nice to run on it. Speaking very broadly, the more time passes, the more likely something like that becomes, but it isn't a current focus of ours.

A good number of games work with the Proton compatibility layer out of the box, and the games that don't are usually blocked by DRM. That seems to be the case for RealFlight Evolution, as evidenced by the comments at https://www.protondb.com/app/2069310. Would you consider trying a build without DRM internally to see if the rest of your software works with Proton?

Any idea about the above? My dad is looking for a laptop still, and I'd rather recommend a Steam Deck for many reasons. Based on the information I have available, it looks like your DRM is the only blocker.

I can appreciate your interest in this, particularly considering the circumstances you described.

We'd like to explore Steam Deck compatibility further. Like I said, it's a cool device and it would be nice to run on it. But we have a number of projects currently underway and on the schedule for the near future which are all higher priority. One such example is the DirectX 11 upgrade, which will positively impact a far larger number of users than Steam Deck compatibility would.

This simply isn't something we're able to dig into at this time.

Back