Super Gee II

Fly_electric

This is a build thread for the SuperGee II DLG by Mark Drela.
CloudyIFR has requested this model for Real Flight.

Have the ref images completed and fuse roughed in.
Not much to see so far, but here's one pic.

After looking over the the available pictures and plans, there are a few questions;

Curtis,
The plans show small wooden leading and trailing fairings in front and behind the wing mounting bolts, but the build pictures from the web site show a full length fairing. Which do you want to go with?

The same pic shows clear tape holding in the servos. Do you want it that way with animated servos or with them hidden (i.e. colored tape)? Feeling a little Deja Vu here as I learned while working with Harley on the Orca, that he is the inventor of the “Flaperon RDS” (Rotary Drive System) that is used on this plane-- small world.

It looks like the tail feather push rods are in tubes running along the outside and supported at the end by the cloth used to strengthen the horizontal stab bolts. Is that correct?

Are there pictures available that show the detail on the rudder and elevator pushrods exiting the fuse?

Or if you'd rather, the pushrods and control horns can all be left off. Your call.

Boof,
I can see that the wing and HS tips might come out better with the "radial" technique. I remember some pictures about that but not where I saw them. A tut? Suggestions for Jed on his Spitfire?

All,
Part of this build will be learning something new about flying from real world model aviation: DLG. The plane editor offers DLG as a launch method, but are there any DLG planes in RF? Flying one of those, and in particular looking at one in the plane editor, would be useful.

Thanks

Attachments

• sgii-bench.jpg
    sgii-bench.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 35
  • wing pylon_plans.jpg
    wing pylon_plans.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 31
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 24
  • SG2_1.jpg
    SG2_1.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 28
  • SG2 airfoil tips.jpg
    SG2 airfoil tips.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 25
Fly Electric,

Thanks for doing this, it's looking great already!

Curtis,
The plans show small wooden leading and trailing fairings in front and behind the wing mounting bolts, but the build pictures from the web site show a full length fairing. Which do you want to go with?

The full length fairing would be fine. I believe that part you see between the bolts is a ballast attach method he used.

The same pic shows clear tape holding in the servos. Do you want it that way with animated servos or with them hidden (i.e. colored tape)?

Whatever is easiest. I'd say don't worry about it, once the model is 10 feet away you can't see them anyway, especially in the sim.

It looks like the tail feather push rods are in tubes running along the outside and supported at the end by the cloth used to strengthen the horizontal stab bolts. Is that correct?

The pushrods do run along the outside of the boom. The rudder goes on the right side for a right handed person. So when you throw the model and the boom flexes this pulls the rudder left helping reduce the yaw. I wouldn't even worry about putting them in for the same reason above.
Are there pictures available that show the detail on the rudder and elevator pushrods exiting the fuse?
Are these suitable? http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supergee/SuperGeeII.htm

If not I can take a few shots of my real model. It's not a SuperGee but pretty darn close.

Or if you'd rather, the pushrods and control horns can all be left off. Your call.
That's my vote!

All,
Part of this build will be learning something new about flying from real world model aviation: DLG. The plane editor offers DLG as a launch method, but are there any DLG planes in RF? Flying one of those, and in particular looking at one in the plane editor, would be useful.

The Fireworks:
https://forums.realflight.com/index.php?resources/10232

This is a modified model as the original didn't fly correctly. This one flies pretty good but the CG is off and their is no dihedral in the wing and the vertical tail has more area above than below. I have a very difficult time determining which direction she is flying!

Curtis
Montana

Last edited:
Got it:

Full length fairing
No servos visible/animated
No push rods or control horns

If you want to leave the wings and tail feathers off too, this build will get real easy!
Just kidding;)

The rudder goes on the right side for a right handed person. So when you throw the model and the boom flexes this pulls the rudder left helping reduce the yaw.

Interesting. So, is what happens during the launch part of why the VS/Rudder airfoil is not symmetrical and also is offset by 0.6 degrees?

Fireworks AV:

Is this a true DLG? A search last night for "DLG" had no hits, but the Fireworks does for "HLG"

Attachments

• SG2 VS_rudder.jpg
    SG2 VS_rudder.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 13
Yes. Different parts of this hobby all have their own abbreviations (and the RF modeling world as well!), and DLG wasn't familiar. Wikipedia came in handy last night! Willing to admit I don't know everything! :eek:

I'll admit that not being a glider flier, I had to look it up the first time I saw it as well. :p

The airfoiled tail is to reduce the yaw during the throw. I don't build that in on mine and they launch fine, perhaps not as high but 100-110 feet is fine by me.

Curtis

OK. Test flew the Fireworks planes. Interesting!

Noticed that RF doesn't do a real world discus launch as far as I can see. There is some sound effect, and it does travel a bit further than the hand launch selection, but no visible launch from the wing tip like the real world. That is why I wanted to see how the physics were set up in case there was perhaps a pivot at the wing tip. Nothing there.

Since that is the case, do you want to leave the launch peg in the left wing tip?
Serves no function in the simulated launch so it could be left out, but it would be a more accurate representation of the model.

Fly electric,

Actually, I think having the peg out there would be neat.

Thanks
Curtis

Attachments

• Peg.PNG
    Peg.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 12
By Fly_Electric's request.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    125.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.png
    2.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.png
    3.png
    133.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 4.png
    4.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 5.png
    5.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 23
Continued....

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    166.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.png
    7.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 8.png
    8.png
    203 KB · Views: 16
  • 9.png
    9.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 15
Lofting.

Wings made on all the models so far have been by extruding from the root airfoil and then shape as needed. The lofting technique is reported to also be useful, but have had no success with it so far. Would like to add to the list of earned techniques. Following Boof's tut, the shape is clearly outlined and shown, but there is no selection displayed for the last "get shape" step.
Am obviously missing a setting or sequence order.

In addition to myself, others may be having difficulty with this-- now or in the future.

Suggestions of things to check for?

Thanks

Attachments

• lofting failure.jpg
    lofting failure.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 16
I might have missed telling you to click the "LOFT" button that is visible in your picture, but the tutorial is called Wing LOFTing in 3ds Max. Did you try clicking the loft button?:confused:

Edit: The tutorial has been updated to clear up the confusion.:)

Last edited:
Did you try clicking the loft button?

Am obviously missing a setting or sequence order.
:eek:

Nothing quite like being human! "What color was the blue car?" :)
Thanks Boof.

Am sure that's it. Unfortunately I exited max on a different setup and on that screen. The project has a fatal error and will not open. Will see if auto back up was set on here. If not, the project exists on a second machine.

Roughed in, so more work to go, but the Super Gee II is in Real Flight.

Thanks Boof, for all the help with wings tips and lofting!

Attachments

• ScreenShot1355310554.jpg
    ScreenShot1355310554.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 26
  • SG2.jpg
    SG2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Curtis. I have only been at this for a short time, but there are some basic tasks in modeling that are used over and over, so with practice the pace picks up and (hopefully), time consuming mistakes are not repeated. As we newbies improve (and get great help from the experts here), programs like max, wings, Photo Shop and GIMP move from an opponent our learning to being a tool to create with. That's when things start to get really cool!

Dont feel too bad here. I'm in the process of learning yet ANOTHER design program. I REALLY want to make my own plans for planes and I've motivated myself to learn Sketchup. Its going slow but the first steps usually are. You are in good hands on this forum. You will get plenty of help, motivation, and ribbing to keep you going.

Back