Super Gee II

Andy:
When you mentioned broken edges, did you mean open geometry?

For both the fuse and VS, no SGs are applied. No double verts or open geometry has been found.

When I mentioned broken edges, I should have said missing edges.......a broken edge loop in my mind.

As for your shading, you say no SGs are applied. I believe for the most part, things will be better looking after you set them. I may be wrong, but I think what you are seeing is how max is shading (shadows) the faceted polys. Boof might have a better explanation though.

No shading issues in RF. Live and learn..
Spot on Andy!

Thanks MR. Am enjoying this.

Any changes required Curtis?

SG2 is ready for mapping.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1355646247.jpg
    ScreenShot1355646247.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 7
In MY modeling program, I can map, and then smooth. Or I can map one object, smooth another, then go back to mapping. Or I can smooth the entire model, then map it. Mapping and smoothing have nothing to do with each other.

In my lab, I can determine the actual strength of materials... just send a section for testing. You might want to include a bag for return parts. :D

Here is a photo of my PoleCat Aero XP3.

This shows the carbon fiber on the forward part of the wing, Kevlar on the back half and the darkened Kevlar are the doublers. Also the boom carbon color and the 3oz fiberglass tape holding the two wing halves together.

Note: the Carbon is oriented 0-90 degrees for wing bending stiffness and the Kevlar is 45 degrees (bias) to prevent twisting of the wing.

Curtis

Looks like a work of art to me, well done!

Curtis

Thanks Curtis. Let me know if you want to start working on the physics with the unmapped version. Have not actually gone through the steps to incorporate different physics, but if I get stuck on that, there is plenty of help on the forum.

In the past, I've seen shading issues in RF that were also always visible in max. Made the assumption therefore, if it appears in max... Live and learn! Now know better to check it all the way through to RF. That's two embarrassing things on this build I should have caught, but hey, maybe they will help someone else just starting out--- that makes it worth it.

Will start mapping the SG2 later today.
Questions: I see the a numbered map used in some of the build threads. The checkerboard in max works well, but I was thinking the numbered one may be useful in some mapping situations. Is that the one flex made? Where can I get a copy of it?

Thanks

Fly electric,

Sure, pass it along and as free time allows I'll start flight testing it.

Oh boy, an early Christmas present!

Curtis

Here's the one I use. A-Z both horizontally and vertically, with a color zone to help pin-point if a part is too small to read the locater.

Attachments

• Grid.jpg
    Grid.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 11
This is my scratchbuilt SuperGeeII. I've been flying this two years now with wonderful results!

I used a different spar system, fiberglass instead of Kevlar and lighter density foam. Much less expensive to make. Perhaps $50 and time.

Curtis

Attachments

• Zombie.jpg
    Zombie.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Zombie2.jpg
    Zombie2.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Zombie3.jpg
    Zombie3.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 13
Nicely done Curtis. Looks like a great place to fly!

As discussed, we'll go with the color scheme on your plane for the EA.

Are the wing tip colors symmetrical in shape on the bottom side?
Is there an image file available for the Zombie logo?

I asked Curtis to post pictures of his plane to ask the question: how do I go about duplicating the foam surface texture?

Thanks

how do I go about duplicating the foam surface texture?
Semi-transparent foam texture layer. This one has a grey background layer, but you could use white, blue, or pink as you see fit.

EDIT: Texture updated to 4096x4096.

Attachments

• Foam.psd.rfx
    34 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Mapping completed and initial CS work started. Also added the launch peg.

Thanks Doug for the PS texture file.
Have developed a habit of 4096 x 4096 for the tga, so the supplied texture was tiled out to that size (details learned via the wonder of the internet!). Was not the seamless technique, but it was the first time I've ever worked with textures, and the general foam look is there.
Not all the colors of your plane Curtis, but it has a splash of black & yellow, so a little bit of progress has been made.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1355903096.jpg
    ScreenShot1355903096.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1355903668.jpg
    ScreenShot1355903668.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 17
My original was 4096x4096, I scaled it down to post. The texture above has been updated.

Thanks Doug.
Will add that to the SG2 tonight.

Thanks Curtis.
If you can, please let me know the answers to my other questions (post #54).
Like to see how far I can get tonight before being away for a few days for Christmas.
Any additional pictures you can provide, such as the bottom view would be great.

Back