Supermarine Mk-IX Spitfire

ASJ.. I have one more question (sorry). Is the internal structure it's own object or is it cut into the main skin? This is definitely going to be a super cool plane.
The structure is inside an inner shell (see pic) and of course the shell gets tucked into the fuselage.

View of a real world Spitfire, you can see into the rear fuselage through the rear canopy glass.

Attachments

• Internals_3.jpg
    Internals_3.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 30
  • Spitfire-4.jpg
    Spitfire-4.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 29
wow asl...!!!! ...Just when I thought you couldn`t outdo yourself with the Sea Vixen, this Spitty is looking absolutely incredible, that frame work is stunning as is the cockpit detail, those pics are well worth hanging on a wall...!!!! (y) (y)
Thanks U.T. the framework is just roughed in at the moment there is a lot of work to do especially in the cockpit area, where it will be more visible.

Wow we are modelling all the ribs in the fuse... NICE! If it were my choice I would make the internal ribs a separate object from the fuse just to make sure they are not messing up the airflow calculation on the fuse.

The structure is inside an inner shell (see pic) and of course the shell gets tucked into the fuselage.

View of a real world Spitfire, you can see into the rear fuselage through the rear canopy glass.
Okay cool for that plane the structure should be inside an inner shell so you can paint the inside of the plane how you want. It'll be interesting to see what the structure looks like in the RF editor. (That it's inside a shell)

Okay cool for that plane the structure should be inside an inner shell so you can paint the inside of the plane how you want.
Wouldn`t that require four sides of the fuse too be mapped (2 outer lft/rt.../..2interior lft/rt.) and placed on the .tga file, I`m just curious about space on the file, there will no doubt be a lot of parts for this plane, BUT, having seen the Vixen .tga file, I know asj can do it, with perhaps two separate piles..1 for the frame work and another for the fuse interior sides,..OR,.. one pile, if they`re all going to be the same color.... in order to save space on the file.....ON a side note, I imagine those colors could just be baked on, eliminating the need to put them on the map at all. (I think) :unsure: :unsure:

Last edited:
Wouldn`t that require four sides of the fuse too be mapped (2 outer lft/rt.../..2interior lft/rt.) and placed on the .tga file, I`m just curious about space on the file, there will no doubt be a lot of parts for this plane, BUT, having seen the Vixen .tga file, I know asj can do it, with perhaps two separate piles..1 for the frame work and another for the fuse interior sides,..OR,.. one pile, if they`re all going to be the same color.... in order to save space on the file.....ON a side note, I imagine those colors could just be baked on, eliminating the need to put them on the map at all. (I think) :unsure: :unsure:
Yes it would have four sides. You could use a baked on color for the inner shell or map it and make it very small and overlay the left and right sides in the TGA file. (assuming you want a single color for the inner shell.

Wow, now that's what I call details. I'm curious can you see that far back into the fuselage to see the bulkheads back there? And I'd love to see a picture of the full fuselage with spinner to see your build. Very cool work ASJ.
Found a picture of the Spitfire ribs, lots more detail, photo is from tail end of fuselage looking towards the back of the pilots seat.
I wonder how many poly"s it would take to Boolean all the lightning holes in the ribs.:)

Attachments

• 07ar_fuse_001a__2_-640x480.jpg
    07ar_fuse_001a__2_-640x480.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 16
Found a picture of the Spitfire ribs, lots more detail, photo is from tail end of fuselage looking towards the back of the pilots seat.
I wonder how many poly"s it would take to Boolean all the lightning holes in the ribs.:)
Seeing the detail in Warbirds always makes me think about having to repair one of them after being shot up.

When you lose a wing in action, prayers would definitely be needed and hoping the ground crew have a replacement wing, ready to go.

I know it as ,,,"On a wing and a prayer"
Yeah I'm sure it's used both ways.. here's the subtitles from Flying Tigers when a commercial plane is coming in on fire in the beginning.

I just received news for that
plane from Hong Kong, sir.

It was attacked and fired upon by a
japanese fighter squadron.

-Is it down?
-No, sir. It's coming
in on one wing and a prayer.

Started working on the internal structure details, lots more to do.
As your going to such great lengths to create a Mk IX masterpiece, you'll need a fine scale propellor instead of the usual choices avaliblr in RF

Attachments

• ultracast_48260_assembledblades_large edit.jpg
    ultracast_48260_assembledblades_large edit.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 38391986_785840778206551_279885276170420224_o.jpg
    38391986_785840778206551_279885276170420224_o.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 13
  • mk9-1 edit.jpg
    mk9-1 edit.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 15
  • mk9-3 edit.jpg
    mk9-3 edit.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 14
  • mk9-3.jpg
    mk9-3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 11
  • mk9-4 edit.jpg
    mk9-4 edit.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 9
  • mk9-4.jpg
    mk9-4.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Prop Stencil.jpg
    Prop Stencil.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9
I made a propeller for the spitfire, now I just have to work out how to set up the animation for the variable pitch.
I figure the hierarchy would be HUB, Dummy object (~CS_BLADE), BladePivot (~CS_BLADE_CW), any ideas would be welcome.

Attachments

• Spitfire prop-2.jpg
    Spitfire prop-2.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Spitfire prop-3.jpg
    Spitfire prop-3.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 16
Back