Supermarine Mk-IX Spitfire

I made a propeller for the spitfire, now I just have to work out how to set up the animation for the variable pitch.
I figure the hierarchy would be HUB, Dummy object (~CS_BLADE), BladePivot (~CS_BLADE_CW), any ideas would be welcome.
I haven't made a variable pitch prop so I can't help but I'm sure legoman will chime in on this.

I made a propeller for the spitfire, now I just have to work out how to set up the animation for the variable pitch.
I figure the hierarchy would be HUB, Dummy object (~CS_BLADE), BladePivot (~CS_BLADE_CW), any ideas would be welcome.

HUB -> ~CS_BLADE (a small cube in the middle of the hub will do. it dupes the blades) -> ~CS_PivotBlade (graphical blade set the pivot so it moves the blade correctly.)

For the ~CS_PivotBlade
Cw x axis radially outward
ccw x axis radially inward

It'll be so cool to see the variable pitch blades actually changing pitch. that's the first feature I've seen that makes sense being controlled by the knob on the controller.
interlink controller~2.jpeg

HUB -> ~CS_BLADE (a small cube in the middle of the hub will do. it dupes the blades) -> ~CS_PivotBlade (graphical blade set the pivot so it moves the blade correctly.)

For the ~CS_PivotBlade
Cw x axis radially outward
ccw x axis radially inward
Thanks for the information Legoman, I was not sure where the dummy/cube pivot should be, but thanks to your explanation, now I know.
What do you suggest for the min/max pitch degrees. ?

Thanks for the information Legoman, I was not sure where the dummy/cube pivot should be, but thanks to your explanation, now I know.
What do you suggest for the min/max pitch degrees. ?

no problem

the pitch depends heavily on rpm power and airspeed. if you want a constant speed prop. set the fine pitch to let the engine hit max power at static on the ground and coarse pitch able to hold the engine rpm steady as airspeed increases. engine RPM stays more or less constant from a standing start to the max airspeed. it uses a governor to increase pitch when the rpm is too high and decrease the pitch if the rpm is too low. min and max pitch are reversed based on the governor output. have the governor's rpm input look at throttle (channel 3) maybe some delay so the engine has time to start adding power before the governor start adjusting. a seperate servo call throttle delay with a travel of ~0.3 seconds let the rpm start responding before the governor can make large adjustments to the pitch because the engine is 400 rpms behind. too short of a delay causes airspeed to drop momentarily when power increases and airspeed to increase momentarily when reducing power too long of a delay will do the opposite. the amount of delay depends on throttle servo speed torque rpm and weight of the prop

you can use a knob to control pitch but most WWII fighter did not use manual pitch control they may have a way to set or lock the pitch manually for battle damage or flight failures to get the pilot and plane home. there was a quick advancement from fixed pitch (simple but vey limited) to a two setting prop (complex and less but still limited) to manual pitch adjustment (still complex much less limited but high pilot workload in combat) to constant speed (slightly more complex and less work for the pilot set it and forget it)

Back to working on the Spitfire again, first pass mapping of the fuselage, antenna and top light, canopy release handle, wire and grip, canopy release button, front frame, canopy frame, rear frame, front glass, side glass, canopy glass, rear glass, 14 items done and only 156 more items to map, that should be done real soon (good luck with that idea). :)

Attachments

• Mapping.jpg
    Mapping.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 21
Back to working on the Spitfire again, first pass mapping of the fuselage, antenna and top light, canopy release handle, wire and grip, canopy release button, front frame, canopy frame, rear frame, front glass, side glass, canopy glass, rear glass, 14 items done and only 156 more items to map, that should be done real soon (good luck with that idea). :)
OMG Asj !!!, I`ve been wanting to ask you about the Spitfire for quite sometime now, just didn`t want too push you. I`m so glad too see you getting back to it, I`d love the chance to do a CS, looks like it will be a pretty busy .TGA though .... 😵‍💫 😵‍💫, regardless of that, I know it will be a great plane...:)(y)

While I certainly don't want to seem overly anxious with this GREAT news, that is you working again on your Mk IX, well I .............I was thinking I might try to provide you with some additional persuasion to help inspire your creative genes anf get them hitting on all cylinders.

Attachments

• 11202_1376932771 edit.jpg
    11202_1376932771 edit.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 30617_1509010540 edit.jpg
    30617_1509010540 edit.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 56777_1583684719.jpg
    56777_1583684719.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 12
  • 778012 edit.jpg
    778012 edit.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 11
  • 1208142 edit.jpg
    1208142 edit.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 12
  • dYJ9A5No edit.jpg
    dYJ9A5No edit.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 11
more inspiration
OMG Asj !!!, I`ve been wanting to ask you about the Spitfire for quite sometime now, just didn`t want too push you. I`m so glad too see you getting back to it, I`d love the chance to do a CS, looks like it will be a pretty busy .TGA though .... 😵‍💫 😵‍💫, regardless of that, I know it will be a great plane...:)(y)

Attachments

• on the wing.jpg
    on the wing.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 18
  • RzHF0BdG edit.jpg
    RzHF0BdG edit.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Silver SPIT- 9.jpg
    Silver SPIT- 9.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 16
  • Spit Mk ix  edit.jpg
    Spit Mk ix edit.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 14
  • spit_mk9b_075a8fdedcf3bda7e05c34749d62d40bc.jpg
    spit_mk9b_075a8fdedcf3bda7e05c34749d62d40bc.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Spitfire_Mk_IXe.edit.jpg
    Spitfire_Mk_IXe.edit.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 17
Thanks U-Bird, great close-up pictures, lots of detail, can notice little things like the early model navigation light on the top of the fuselage, and the later style navigation light incorporated with the antenna base (as per my model)
Love the Silver Spitfire.

Glad you like the pics,close-ups have always provided me with info and details the average person would overlook. You're Spit is sure to be a knock out of the park when released. What scale are you planning the release as?

@asj5547 Hello my friend. I have one quation! I want to put the glass, I drew the maps and in photoshop, what should I specify the material in order for me to have a transparent glass?

In photoshop to make the glass transparent, you apply a dark color to the glass in the alpha channel of the .TGA, I use 606060 or 404040 hexadecimal code, if you go too dark 000000 hex then the glass becomes completely transparent, (no tint effect).

In photoshop to make the glass transparent, you apply a dark color to the glass in the alpha channel of the .TGA, I use 606060 or 404040 hexadecimal code, if you go too dark 000000 hex then the glass becomes completely transparent, (no tint effect).
Can you explain to me by example
I applied 000000 in photoshop but got nothing

You also need to apply a material to the Canopy that's named ~CANOPY. That tells realflight to use the alpha channel in the color scheme TGA to control the transparency.

Back