Techair Commander EP

technoid

I like the E-flite Commander really well but I like to fly Giant Scale so I decided to create my own version of it. It will be heavily influenced by the E-flite Commander but not an exact copy. Here's a few pictures to kick off the build thread.

Techair Commander EP 03.jpgTechair Commander EP 09.jpgTechair Commander EP 12.jpg

Nothing to show today but I did do a little more work on the wing this morning. I had to straighten up some of the segments and make the center segment the same thickness around the whole wing. Now it's time to start shaping it for the plane and add the ailerons and flaps.

I went back and tweaked the fuselage a little. I noticed in the top view (a little behind the wings) the fuselage had a small bulge it shouldn't have so I fixed it. Then in the side view the end of the fuselage was a little higher than it should be so I fixed that too. You might not have noticed those areas they were pretty small but looking at them close in the editor they show up more. Anyway, they're fixed now. I still haven't cut out the canopy and frame so I guess that's next. I also need to add some taper to the wing.

Techair Commander EP 27.jpgTechair Commander EP 28.jpg

I did a test of the wing taper this morning please take a look and let me know if it looks okay. I'm putting a picture of the real plane for reference. The real plane is sitting down so it's not a direct comparison but it's the best I have.

The question I have is the wing a little too thick or about right.

Techair Commander EP 29.jpgTechair Commander EP 30.jpg

If anything, I think it looks a little too thin. But it might be a matter of the viewing angle. The fact that the real plane is viewed from ground level looking slightly upward might make it look thicker than it actually is. We're seeing it basically from bottom rather than straight on. Notice that the canopy and tail surfaces aren't visible at all. With a straight-on view, the control horns probably wouldn't be visible. IMHO, it looks about right.

Last edited:
If anything, I think it looks a little too thin. But it might be a matter of the viewing angle. The fact that the real plane is viewed from ground level looking slightly upward might make it look thicker than it actually is. We're seeing it basically from bottom rather than straight on. Notice that the canopy and tail surfaces aren't visible at all.
Thanks for your input. That's why I mentioned the pictures aren't a direct comparison. And yeah looking at the second picture would make the wing look thicker since it's at an angle.

Back