The importance of a Pilot in an EA

Is a Pilot in the cockpit an expected feature of an EA?

• Yes

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • 6 of one, half dozen of another

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters
You must have read the Judging Sheets. :D

When you are talking a scale replica, then the pilot is the cherry on top, it brings completenes to the final model.
Not always necessary, but it does fill a void when the interior looks barren.

When an obvious R/C interpretation of a semi-scale model,
Could be other things there, battery, motor, RX.

Pilots = Mandatory for my aircraft...

I get ribbed if I show up with a plane w/o a pilot at our airfield.

i think a pilot in a uav like the predator would be a little out of place.
if its meant to look and act like a r/c then no. (not to mention how shook up the pilot would be after some 3d) but just about everything else needs pilots. the world needs pilots. beside its just downright cool to see the pilot in the cockpit of an AH-1 super cobra tracking along with that pea shooter on the nose :D

Last edited:
In scale, I believe its almost manditory to have a pilot. It's just not complete without one. Btw, I won my first scale event on Sunday with this guy behind the stick. I'm buying him a scarf! :p

Attachments

• a8502261226932293-19761.jpg
    a8502261226932293-19761.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 43
  • no pilot.jpg
    no pilot.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 41
Of my planes, less than 1/2 have pilots, but every open cockpit one does and one of the closed cockpit ones actually has two. None of my helicopters have a pilot. 30% of my aircraft are electric. Out of the glow powered, more than half are four-stroke. I have five times as many planes as helicopters.

What was the question???

I think if it's scale then it should have one and open cockpit looks better with one otherwise it doesn't need a pilot.

RCHUGHES said:
Pilots= Weight ; )

Get a new pilot!

Many of mine average less than .6 oz or so.

I'd recommend the WM pilots which are made from very very light materials.

I agree that seeing a pilot in an open cockpit model really adds to the scale effect (on top of a nicely sputtering 4-stroke as the model farts down the lane). Expected in an EA? Not necessarily, though extra nice if the designer wants to add flair and has polys to spare.

I think if the original model that you are re-creating has a pilot in it, the virtual model should as well. If the plans call for a pilot the head should always turn with the rudder/steering gear. LOL....

On the other hand...... If you are creating a model thats more than just a motor on wings then chances are your already pushing your poly limit to the max and adding a pilot would push the count upto 30-40000. thats my opinion. You dont want to take away from your model by having a pilot thats straight outta lego-land.

Overall I dont think its important to have a pilot sitting in the plane unless someone was able to model a jet equipped with an ejector seat. otherwise the pilot isnt worth taking the time to model seeing how its somewhat difficult seeing into a cockpit.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1227070223.jpg
    ScreenShot1227070223.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 25
AFG said:
Overall I dont think its important to have a pilot sitting in the plane unless someone was able to model a jet equipped with an ejector seat. otherwise the pilot isnt worth taking the time to model seeing how its somewhat difficult seeing into a cockpit.
Done it. See George's F-16 for more details.

Personally i would prefer a pilot but not at the detriment of the plane.I usually end up frustrated by not having enough polys but if there are some to spare then a pilot everytime.

Last edited:
I think I've put pilots in 2 of my planes. The B-58 and B-47. Where they do add the scale "realism", I don't find them to be needed at all. When you have the plane up in the air, do you really see it? I mean, eye candy's great, but they're called AIR planes for a reason. However I'm doing some WW1 planes and do plan on having pilots in them, but not your typical pilots :p

Back