The Winnie Mae

Thanks guys.

Had a little bit of time tonight, so added the cabin, cut the wing profile out of that and put in the cockpit glass. A few temporary baked on colors to give a better idea where this build is going.
Stab and fin need their respective fillets. May yet scrap the fin and rudder anyway as I'm still not sure it is as good as it can be.
After that it will be onto the dummy radial engine. If the remaining triangle count permits, there may be some cockpit details, but the WM is being planned more like what the sport flier takes to their local flying field, and not as much for high scale detail. But plans may change. We'll see...

With the windows that go over to the top of the wing, it's not yet clear where the fuselage/wing break needs to to be. If anyone has some pictures of a R/C Winnie Mae disassembled, please post them in this thread.

The WM is still rather rough, but it's hopefully getting better.

Attachments

• WM render10.jpg
    WM render10.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 7
  • WM render11.jpg
    WM render11.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 8
  • WM render12.jpg
    WM render12.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 11
  • WM render13.jpg
    WM render13.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 7
Thanks technoid.

UT, it's the Winnie Mae, so that's the CS.

I do see there was either apparently more than one aircraft, or the one plane went through a few modifications. There are pictures (original and replicas) with and without:
More side windows
The extra instrument on the cowling top
Skid or tail wheel
Top windows or solid panels

Attachments

• 3-From-Above.jpg
    3-From-Above.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 84860.jpg
    84860.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 503034527.jpg
    503034527.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
  • oklahoma-history-center.jpg
    oklahoma-history-center.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks F.E., didn`t mean for that to sound like a dumb question. After researching the plane a little and some CS`s, I realized the WM is in it`s own realm. So I`ll post some pics. I found. You may or may not have them..?? the first pic. is the left side graphics, the second the right side, the others speak for themselves. ;) although this is a version with the windows. I`m not sure if your adding them or not, as of yet??

Attachments

• ScreenShot398.jpg
    ScreenShot398.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot399.jpg
    ScreenShot399.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
  • ScreenShot400.jpg
    ScreenShot400.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 11
  • ScreenShot401.jpg
    ScreenShot401.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 9
  • ScreenShot406.jpg
    ScreenShot406.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks guys.

UT: yes, I have most, but not all of those. I appreciate the help!
12oclockhigh: Not thinking pilot on this one (but the eye patch is a good idea!), as that would also require a cockpit. We'll see after the radial ia modeled.

Not too much progress this week, but did manage to get the WM into RF.
Tail wheel is just something basic.
At present, the size is set for a WS of 100 inches.

If any one has some good 3 views of that radial, please post them in this thread. At present have not even looked for what the engine was.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1459569065.jpg
    ScreenShot1459569065.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 17
  • ScreenShot1459569257.jpg
    ScreenShot1459569257.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 16
here a few pics i found hope this is the "Wright" radial your looking for FE haha ,found these decals too

Attachments

• Wright J5 Whirlwind 02.jpg
    Wright J5 Whirlwind 02.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Wright J5 Whirlwind 03.jpg
    Wright J5 Whirlwind 03.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Wright J5 Whirlwind 04.jpg
    Wright J5 Whirlwind 04.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Wright J5 Whirlwind.jpg
    Wright J5 Whirlwind.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Winnie Mae Lady Lindy.jpg
    Winnie Mae Lady Lindy.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 11
I do believe that if you research a little further, you'll find that both "Winnie Mae" aircraft were built as V-5s and both were powered with P&W engines.

It would be wonderful if one of you could get Winnie finished one day. My father knew both Wiley Post and Will Rogers when they were flying out of Oklahoma City. I'd love to be able to add her to my hanger.

It's been awhile, but I'm starting to put some time into the WM again.
I'd forgotten the details from this thread, and was in need of engine details.
Recent research said the plane used a P&W R-985
But that or the Wright J5 are close enough.
Second loss of remembering was the need for some cylinder details as I've not found any true 3 views.
3 views make modeling the best but then I rediscovered Doug's good info in post #29-- far better than anything I've found.

Back