Too expensive!

skyguy04

One of the major downsides to RF4.5 is that it is not affordable for the budget hobbiest. Of course we always make the argument that you save a lot in crashes that never happen because of RF4.5. However, it's hard to convince someone new to the hobby that RF is worth the money, until they've crashed their first plane. Then they will most likely give up and leave the hobby.

When i saw the release of "Basic", i though FINALLY a low cost entry simulator. But i was wrong.... It's the same cost as FS1 and G3. Why would someone buy Basic over G3?

IMHO Knife Edge software is shooting themselves in the foot for the following reasons:

1. Your still marketing G3? If you want to continue selling both, make Basic LOWER cost than G3. That way there are "steps" for the customer to consider.

2. $50-75 would have been a better price point for this product. It's basically a "sweep the whole market" potential product. Plus, most newcomers will buy this product and get bored of it once they realize what they are missing. So then they will eventually bite the bullet and buy 4.5.

3. No trim? Am i reading that correctly? Trim is an essential part of RC flying. It's also essential that the new pilot learns trim on his very first flight in the absence of an instructor. Seriously?

1. While G3 is still available, people do have a choice. But G3 is no longer being produced, so eventually it won't be an option anymore. And support for G3 will drop before RFB's support is gone. When was the last time you saw a software update for G3? Not since G4 has been available.

2. The software and the controller is well worth the $100 price tag, in my opinion. I don't think that KE/GP would make a profit at your suggested retail price. Do you know why those companies exist? To make money! From what I've heard about other sims, RFB is the better buy.

Last edited:
It has trim, looking at the pic of the controller on the Tower Hobbies page it has the analog trim like RF Deluxe and G2 controllers (which were the last I had before going to G4)

Frankly, I like analog better, I could tell where the trim was set just by touching it with my thumb. Can't do that by touching those digital buttons on the Interlink ;)

DH

skyguy04 said:
One of the major downsides to RF4.5 is that it is not affordable for the budget hobbiest. Of course we always make the argument that you save a lot in crashes that never happen because of RF4.5. However, it's hard to convince someone new to the hobby that RF is worth the money, until they've crashed their first plane. Then they will most likely give up and leave the hobby.

That is a bad assumption.

I teach a lot of newbies, many show up with their budgets set to very inappropriate levels for this hobby.

The first thing we do is try to get them to put away their inappropriate foamies, and purchase a sim.

$99.00 is the PERFECT price point for these people.

If they can't spend that, then this hobby is definitely not for them.

If they can, we can often work with them and help guarantee success.

Later they get a more realistic view of the expenses involved ( even on the cheap ) with RC, and they are grateful that they purchased a decent simulator.

skyguy04 said:
When i saw the release of "Basic", i though FINALLY a low cost entry simulator. But i was wrong.... It's the same cost as FS1 and G3. Why would someone buy Basic over G3?

FS1 enjoyed sales from the very budget hobbiests you are talking about.

FS1 is a very poor sim for many reasons. No one supports it too!

RF Basic targets that market and will probably see great success there.

skyguy04 said:
IMHO Knife Edge software is shooting themselves in the foot for the following reasons:

1. Your still marketing G3? If you want to continue selling both, make Basic LOWER cost than G3. That way there are "steps" for the customer to consider.

I don't think they are "shooting themselves".

Remember that at $99.00 it WILL be discounted for less, while G3 is an orphaned product.

skyguy04 said:
2. $50-75 would have been a better price point for this product. It's basically a "sweep the whole market" potential product.

And it will be close to that upper figure with TH discounts, etc.

skyguy04 said:
Plus, most newcomers will buy this product and get bored of it once they realize what they are missing. So then they will eventually bite the bullet and buy 4.5.

Maybe. I would like to see an upgrade path offered however.

skyguy04 said:
3. No trim? Am i reading that correctly? Seriously?

Seriously you are reading that incorrectly.

Thanks for the insight and clarification regarding trim. That makes me feel much better about recommending this product to newcomers.

I'm an avid fan of RF, and I truly believe in it's ability to train newcomers. I've recommended many reluctant newcomers to make RF 4.5 their first purchase and they have thanked me for it later. Every last one of them.

I also believe that RF (all versions) is a much better sim than FS1. With discounts to $75, i think this will be positioned most appropriately to "sweep the whole market". :)

Good job KnifeEdge!

Not Exen A 2nd thought

I myself returned to the hobby after a ten year absence, the first thing I purchased was the g 4.5 , I didnt give its price a 2nd thought. when you compare it to the price of a aircraft going in the dirt. And it did save my plane the other day , I was flying My Great Plains Ultimate for the first time and lost a wheel on the 2nd pass, well if it hadnt been for the sim and being able to practice the harrier landing , well lets just put it this way I would be one plane short in my hanger. Not only did the ultimate lock well into the harrier mode but she sat down lightly and didnt budge. It was also my first harrier landing and was picture perfect. Now we can read all the testomonies we want , but for those that say the price is to high and they already know how much this hobby can cost(well there is that old saying you can lead a horse to water , but you cant make him drink)

Yes,,, but.....

Yes. Both points are valid about the price is not that much considering being able to raise your skills. Hand and eye coordination is great for this program. I did the same and bought it just because I was getting back in to the hobby after a 15 year break.

But... If you read the first post in this thread before you post, you'll see that the person is talking about the price for the NEW REAL FLIGHT BASIC Version of there more popular G3 package. Kinda like a Real Flight Lite.

Post about G3 and G4 price should be posted in the respective section of the forums.

If you are new to forums please take the time to read the first post in the thread to find out what it is about be for you post.

Ebay

I found the original realflight on ebay not too long ago. I still have my copy and controller stashed somewhere in the house. Point being, for those guys who just want a G2 or even 3.5 these days, ebay might be the way to get it cheap.

I for one I'm looking forward to G5. I've been using my original G3 that is now upgraded to 3.5 (thanks programmers). However, my controller had a problem which I kinda fixed, but I'll be ready for a new new totally new G5.

When is it due out anyways?

Back