Too Many Unrealistic Flying Planes EXCEPT ........

Harlem

Been flying 20 years now, would be 35 if there hadn't been long periods of absence. All this time, even getting back into the hobby after long breaks i have never used a sim. Not even a dabble. Just didn't need to, learn't all 3D flying without it and developed a very aggressive on the deck flying style.
Two weeks ago i bought my first ever sim (9.5) and had mixed thoughts on it, first being an assurance why i have never bought one, just not realistic. But thankfully there was a few planes that did fly realistically which while thankful for. I am puzzled,, if it is possible to make a realistic flying plane,,,, why are there so many planes that don't fly realistically?
Before somebody says just add wind, add weight to your plane, make the ailerons smaller or whatever. I do not wish to muck about like that, i don't mind tweaking, as you would do if you bought a kit, different motor and prop than recommended, or different battery and surface deflections than recommended. But i am NOT talking about this, it is the fundamental physics. Mostly it is far far afar too easy to fly rollers, to hover, to do any 3D really. Also floaty and none responsive to small inputs. In real life every input has a requirement of another 'counterary' input.
Below are the planes i found which DO FLY REALISTIC, sadly only one from the NONE CUSTOM PAGES!!!!
Does anybody know these planes i talk about, and know other planes which fly realistic like them?

9.5 E3D
Custom Great Planes Extra 300sp
'' Extra 300L DC
'' Flying Giants Foamy by Insane Foamies
'' CMPro 3D Passion60
'' Edge 540 BP 3D Arf by E-Flite (there is a Mofo edit version, which are usually good but for this one i think not).

Got some more, some real Belter's, the Designer of these needs a pat on the back.
FT_3D_FE
Krate
Ugly Storm
Yankee
RA Cores Yak 4s

He sure does, RealFlight should hire you working from home on a good salary to make 90% of the planes fly REALISTIC, instead of currently 90% of them fly very unrealistically.

If it wasn't for Guy's like Technoid, RealFlight would be just a joke.

He sure does, RealFlight should hire you working from home on a good salary to make 90% of the planes fly REALISTIC, instead of currently 90% of them fly very unrealistically.

If it wasn't for Guy's like Technoid, RealFlight would be just a joke.
Wow.. Thanks for the support. I was lucky when I first started modeling a forum member named Doug Schluter worked with me on all my planes and taught me a lot about RealFlight Physics.

Great thread, I am riding along. I will try the 125% for physics as well as it does seem too easy in the stock setup. Thanks again for the great information everyone.

If you go into the aircraft editor, The changes you can make to any airplane,helicopter or drone are almost limitless. Some like the propeller will even show the visual changes you make. For example changing from a 2-blade prop to a 3 or 4 or even 5 blade will appear on the screen. You can also change the appearance of the prop.

We get that John/Jerry/Jack, were not talking about that kind of thing, were talking about the general physics. Or general flying behaviour if you like. Most (i reckon 90% of planes) are way of being anywhere near realistic in characteristics of flight.

I did find another good one last night:- Sukhoi Su-31 G4

Have a fly of this and you will see what i mean, it refreshingly flies so much like a real plane after flying so many that don't.

Sure would like to hear about other's that fly realistic, very tired of downloading planes to be disappointed. It's like opening a present to find it's socks that don't fit you.

Been flying 20 years now, would be 35 if there hadn't been long periods of absence. All this time, even getting back into the hobby after long breaks i have never used a sim. Not even a dabble. Just didn't need to, learn't all 3D flying without it and developed a very aggressive on the deck flying style.
Two weeks ago i bought my first ever sim (9.5) and had mixed thoughts on it, first being an assurance why i have never bought one, just not realistic. But thankfully there was a few planes that did fly realistically which while thankful for. I am puzzled,, if it is possible to make a realistic flying plane,,,, why are there so many planes that don't fly realistically?
Before somebody says just add wind, add weight to your plane, make the ailerons smaller or whatever. I do not wish to muck about like that, i don't mind tweaking, as you would do if you bought a kit, different motor and prop than recommended, or different battery and surface deflections than recommended. But i am NOT talking about this, it is the fundamental physics. Mostly it is far far afar too easy to fly rollers, to hover, to do any 3D really. Also floaty and none responsive to small inputs. In real life every input has a requirement of another 'counterary' input.
Below are the planes i found which DO FLY REALISTIC, sadly only one from the NONE CUSTOM PAGES!!!!
Does anybody know these planes i talk about, and know other planes which fly realistic like them?

9.5 E3D
Custom Great Planes Extra 300sp
'' Extra 300L DC
'' Flying Giants Foamy by Insane Foamies
'' CMPro 3D Passion60
'' Edge 540 BP 3D Arf by E-Flite (there is a Mofo edit version, which are usually good but for this one i think not).
it annoys me when people say nothing flies realistic on here because how would you really know? have you flown the planes they are based on in real life? i had it a lot not long ago with my Pilot RC Slick i made people saying its not realistic but these people had never flown a pilot rc plane in there life! it infact was extremly close to the real thing and people who had flown the real one said the same. People where saying its to light theres no way it actually flies like that but it really does! and when these people flew the real thing they where amazed! but in short before coming on here complaining about everything stop to think and maybe actually try creating something for yourself :) as it takes people a lot of time.

try this one for yourself i gaurentee you its extremely close to the real 103 slick

Have a good Xmas

Do you feel better now Edge? IF you bother to read my posts i have posts applauding RF.

So don't be so assuming i am a moaner Dude. Oh and some of us wan't to fly, not build planes, not spend countless hours on BetaFlight programming, or endless hours making plane mixes.

Everyone is different and you Sir are just a Troll, wanting people to watch your video!

There is always one like you on every forum, good bye

Do you feel better now Edge? IF you bother to read my posts I have posts applauding RF.

So don't be so assuming I am a moaner Dude. Oh and some of us want to fly, not build planes, not spend countless hours on BetaFlight programming, or endless hours making plane mixes.

Everyone is different and you Sir are just a Troll, wanting people to watch your video!

There is always one like you on every forum, goodbye
lmao, I'm not sure you can say that when you joined a month ago I've been here for years contributing planes help etc I really don't care if you watch my video or not I put it there so after you fly it in RF you can see how similar it is! I understand people don't want to or have the time to make or edit planes on RF not quite sure how your editing rf planes on betaflight though? but don't come on here saying how bad most of the planes are if you haven't contributed yourself. I am far from a Troll buddy FYI one of the planes you said was realistic was one of mine so thanks :)

and you SIR are just a Moaner

Do you feel better now Edge? IF you bother to read my posts i have posts applauding RF.

So don't be so assuming i am a moaner Dude. Oh and some of us wan't to fly, not build planes, not spend countless hours on BetaFlight programming, or endless hours making plane mixes.

There is always one like you on every forum, good bye
Just saw your YT sorry mate you actually know me you've been on my stuff a lot i know your not a moaner just annoyed me as I see this stuff a lot.

Merry Christmas
Rory

Cheers Rory, you have just done something almost remarkable in this day and age of nasty culture here in the UK. Held your hands up and said sorry!

Yes, that YouTube video was for other people benefit, to help, i have contributed VASTLY over the years with many 3D Tutorial videos (planes and Quads - note beta flight is what quad Pilots use for setting up quads). I am currently building a website for learning 3D. Because i,m tired of the countless old fart circle flyers whom can't fly for ship, so go around on forum's (RCgroups) peeing all over on anyone who can fly like jealous 9 year old's.

I know you are a sound bloke and your Dad too, note in real life i can't do right rollers for the life of me, i can't even do 2-3. But here on just about all 3D planes, i can do them all day long. That proves my point, generally they the physics are not quite there (some are).

Don't forget, if you have been using RF for many years like yourself, you will have become 'accustomed' to the different physics and don't even realize they are way off realistic.

I could give many other examples, but i think i have made my point.

This hobby is for fun PERIOD

Wish you and your Dad a very special Xmas and a extra special 2022

As already said, i found generally most planes (i flown all the 3D planes and sports planes for my Daughter - trying to find good planes for both of us).

I did download every Extreme Flight, Pilot and Skywing models as my thought process was,,, these been a favourite of 3D Pilot's are likely to be designed and customised by 3D fans. Butttt i was very disappointed.

Specifically rollers been far far far too easy, when you start they just keep rolling. Other irritation was when you do a high speed swivel type maneuver, they just keep spinning round without slowing down, even seem to speed up, that's so unreal! Then the floatiness problem (i KNOW some are floaty in real life), then there is the bad physics generally.

Anyway, this thread is not to gripe but to share the GOOD planes, and HOW to make small custom steps to make some half decent planes fly more realistic or just better. I will have a go at designing my own plane in the future, probably one of my own 3D designs, the 'Gutz', the 'Sick', the 'Bipez' and many more. But i just bought my RF sim a couple of weeks ago and also don't have time right now.

OK, as already said i am a 'left roller', i tried so hard to do right rollers as well but after many attempts just gave it up as a none starter. Note i am happy with my left rolllers.

Oddly and a proven flaw in the physics, i can do right rollers very easy on RF. So i choose the best plane i could find for realistic physics on rollers (best of a bad bunch- too easy) and practiced my right rollers today.

After a good few flights, i feel i can now do right rollers on a real plane, buttttt i am not sure, you will have to watch my future YT vids to find that out. Buttttttt that's the beauty of a simulator right, it gives you that practise, that muscle memory, that familiarity and confidence. I sure enjoyed my flights today.

The flying on this video is how i actually fly in real life (except the right rollers). The plane is an Extra 330L DC

Note towards the end i am doing rolling circles whilst switching from rolling left to right and then back to left.

Last edited:
We get that John/Jerry/Jack, were not talking about that kind of thing, were talking about the general physics. Or general flying behaviour if you like. Most (i reckon 90% of planes) are way of being anywhere near realistic in characteristics of flight.

I did find another good one last night:- Sukhoi Su-31 G4

Have a fly of this and you will see what i mean, it refreshingly flies so much like a real plane after flying so many that don't.

Sure would like to hear about other's that fly realistic, very tired of downloading planes to be disappointed. It's like opening a present to find it's socks that don't fit you.
The 'Aircraft Editor' screen can help you immensely with getting ANY plane to fly the way you think it should. You can adjust the CG,Add Weight, change control throw degrees and even the speed of the controls. The parameters of the plane are up to you. I had a Goldberg Tiger that was 3D capable. It hovered beautifully and one with turbine power that was 200 MPH fast. You can change the strength values of the components to make them Indestructable or the fuel Unlimited. It's all up to you. Play around and experiment with it. Who knows? you might come up with a variant you'll want to share.

The 'Aircraft Editor' screen can help you immensely with getting ANY plane to fly the way you think it should. You can adjust the CG,Add Weight, change control throw degrees and even the speed of the controls. The parameters of the plane are up to you. I had a Goldberg Tiger that was 3D capable. It hovered beautifully and one with turbine power that was 200 MPH fast. You can change the strength values of the components to make them Indestructible or the fuel Unlimited. It's all up to you. Play around and experiment with it. Who knows? you might come up with a variant you'll want to share.
Thanks John, maybe i will experiment, or even have a go at designing my own after the hols. But tbh your post will be more helpful to other people 'checking in here' as i am not one for messing about.

I would prefer just to find out from other people a good model, or a model that can be made very good with a simple fix or two. Call me lazy, but tbh i was expecting a LOT more realistic planes than there currently is.

I have trolled all the uploads, from 9.5 down to 3.5 i think is the earliest. I have 14 planes in my custom file which i think have good physics (for different reasons or different practising). Maybe 10 of these are for my Daughter where being too easy is actually a good thing (beginner).

perhaps four is enough (just), so i am happy with RF. Been a good purchase. However, sure would appreciate some new uploads next year as i get bored of the 4 i have.

Thanks John, maybe i will experiment, or even have a go at designing my own after the hols. But tbh your post will be more helpful to other people 'checking in here' as i am not one for messing about.

I would prefer just to find out from other people a good model, or a model that can be made very good with a simple fix or two. Call me lazy, but tbh i was expecting a LOT more realistic planes than there currently is.

I have trolled all the uploads, from 9.5 down to 3.5 i think is the earliest. I have 14 planes in my custom file which i think have good physics (for different reasons or different practising). Maybe 10 of these are for my Daughter where being too easy is actually a good thing (beginner).

perhaps four is enough (just), so i am happy with RF. Been a good purchase. However, sure would appreciate some new uploads next year as i get bored of the 4 i have.
Actually, it's Jim.

Back