Training mode "Roll only" heli rolls left quite a bit with blades are flat

kuato781

Let me preface this by saying I'm a total newbie -- new to the hobbie - planning on picking up a trex 470LM after some SIM time. I have a Spektrum NX8 with dongle, I'm running RealFlight9.5 -- in "training mode" I picked "Roll Only" and when the training session starts -- with blade flat -- the heli rolls left quite a bit ...I have to roll right for it to hover flat. Is this normal? Or do I have something whonky with either the SIM settings or controller settings?

Attached is a pic of how much I have to roll right for it to hover straight.
IMG_2562.jpg

A helicopter is going to "lean" when its hovering, it is perfectly normal. It looks a little pronounced in your photo, but it could be the training thing you're doing.

I Used RF G4 to learn how to fly Helicopters back in 2009. I did not use ANY of the training aides or whatever that is you are doing. The way I learned is pick a helicopter, Start on evergreen airport or any other photofield. start with hovering ONLY boom in at first which means when you use cyclic left it goes to the left, push the cyclic forward and it goes away from you and keep it off the ground about 3-4 ft. and keep it there. use that reset button if something happens, you can crash all you want in the simulator, that is what it's for. Keep hovering like this until you got it down pat and can do it without thought. Turn the helicopter left or right and then start over, moving the cyclic left or right will make it move forward or backwards and will be a new challenge for you to keep the helicopter in a hover. do this with the side of the heli facing you until you are comfortable with it in either direction. Nose in is next so cyclic responses are opposite of what you see the helicopter doing. Keep it in a circle and get comfortable. Once you are comfortable hovering in just about any orientation, go ahead and push cyclic forward and use left and right cyclic to do big circles around you, adjust with rudder stick as necessary. If you can do all of that without crashing, and full confidence, then you can start with the real thing, doing the same thing you did in the simulator.

It takes a long time and a lot of practice to fly helicopters, but if you stick with it, it is a whole lot of fun.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying I'm a total newbie -- new to the hobbie - planning on picking up a trex 470LM after some SIM time. I have a Spektrum NX8 with dongle, I'm running RealFlight9.5 -- in "training mode" I picked "Roll Only" and when the training session starts -- with blade flat -- the heli rolls left quite a bit ...I have to roll right for it to hover flat. Is this normal? Or do I have something whonky with either the SIM settings or controller settings?

Attached is a pic of how much I have to roll right for it to hover straight.

That angle looks excessive to me, do you have any wind turned on? Normally a hovering helicopter would lean slightly the other way. Edit: Nope I’m wrong. Just flew my m1, the sim trainer is leaning the right way, but still way too much.

Tested the sim and in heli hover trainer it does lean that much using the roll only option. And the controls are way too soft. It’s really difficult hovering a helicopter, it’s even more difficult trying to keep it over a fixed point, every time your eye moves to the ground marker, your not watching the heli. I think you’d be better off, using the normal sim and starting with the blade 230s. It has a beginner mode which self levels the swash plate. That mode is ok to get you started, but you need to move to intermediate as soon as you understand the controls as beginner mode teaches you to hold the cyclic input too long to keep the heli moving in a direction, where as intermediate and advanced mode with the cyclic centred, it will keep going until you apply the opposite cyclic input to stop it.

Last edited:
Back