Trident Redux

Reminds me of my wedding "unniversaries" or "noniversaries"! My wife & I were married on Feb 29, 1988. So we only have a REAL anniversary once every 4 years.
you probably already know this, but people (or the parents of people) who are born on February 29th have to legally choose whether their birthday is listed the 28th of February or March 1st.

Our marriage certificate says Feb 29. I claim that I'm only required to remember once every 4 years. She-who-must-be-obeyed says that we need to celebrate the day after Feb 28 AND the day before Mar 1. Guess who wins THAT argument! :unsure:

P.S. So we've compromised. Whether we have an actual anniversary or not, we plan a mini-vacation the weekend closest to when it should be. That means I DON'T HAVE TO REMEMBER AT ALL - because WE translates into SHE because she does almost all the planning. :ROFLMAO::D:cool: Pretty slick, right?

Last edited:
OK, I've got some REALLY DUMB RF questions. Does changing the CS for a model make it into an AV? Or does an AV have to include physics changes? Does the AV include the CS, or are they completely separate concepts?

OK, I've got some REALLY DUMB RF questions. Does changing the CS for a model make it into an AV? Or does an AV have to include physics changes? Does the AV include the CS, or are they completely separate concepts?
#1 question...NO,...#2 question...YES...#3..NO...#4...YES, they have to be downloaded and imported into RF separately.

So an AV absolutely does NOT include a different CS? The file names I see in the swap pages made me ask the question & seem to imply that an AV can also include the CS. Or the CS can be completely independent. YOU guys DO this stuff all the time, and I never have.

I have to admit that I had an ulterior motive in mind when I suggested the compromise. I made the mistake of forgetting her birthday one year. HUGE MISTAKE! Funny thing... I added her birthday to my electronic calendar to be SURE I don't EVER make it again! And we laugh about it.
I just realized that I did that even before I had an electronic calendar - with a different wife. Back in the dark ages, I had a program in CP/M that would show me "It happened this day" messages every time I booted the very much pre-PC computer. I added her birthday to every day for a week before so I couldn't forget again. Facebook reminds me now. Have you noticed that forgetting ANY woman's birthday is a mortal sin? Kids seem to get over it faster.

Last edited:
So an AV absolutely does NOT include a different CS? The file names I see in the swap pages made me ask the question & seem to imply that an AV can also include the CS. Or the CS can be completely independent. YOU guys DO this stuff all the time, and I never have.
Refer to my previous post..... ;) :p

I guess I'm just dense. Is there a "dunce cap" emojii available somewhere? I didn't find one.
Similar question: Is a CS a different pattern in the paint job, or is it just a different selection of colors using the same pattern?

I guess I'm just dense. Is there a "dunce cap" emojii available somewhere? I didn't find one.
Similar question: Is a CS a different pattern in the paint job, or is it just a different selection of colors using the same pattern?
An AV is "only" the physics for a plane. A CS is "only" the paint job for a plane.

A CS can be an "entirely" new paint job OR only change the "color" of the pattern that's already there, that's up to the person that paints the plane. You start off by saving the color scheme "as" a new name and RealFlight saves the current color scheme to that name. Then you edit the TGA file any way you want, only change the color of the existing pattern OR paint a completely new pattern.

A CS can be absolutely any arrangement of colors. they don't have to be in the same pattern at all, although that's the easiest way to make a new CS: simple color replacement.

I noticed those two uploads right next to each other too. I can see why those would confuse you. Even though the AV is just a change of physics settings, RealFlight still generates a preview and includes it with every type of upload for the forum to display. in that particular case, that user happened to have that green color scheme applied to that aircraft when he exported the AV. So for that reason, the preview graphic on AV uploads can be misleading, because the forum shows that visual when the AV is only a variation of the base airplane's physics settings, and not any colors.

PERFECT explanation of my confusion. I admit, I tend to over-analyze things. And as I said, I've historically driven my teachers NUTS! And that's YOU guys, now. I hope you guys are enjoying it as much as I am. I enjoy it from both directions.

I'm really glad that made sense, buddy.
That shortcoming of RealFlight & this forum means that AVs can be very nebulous; and that problem is compounded by the fact that some users don't put any description at all on their AV uploads. 🥴

Back