Trident Redux

When I created the wheel pants for the profile version I didn't follow the plans that close I just made something I liked. Recently I've been thinking about reworking them to be closer to the plan so I did that this morning. But since they're more rounded now I wanted to make sure you guys like them better, one time I rounded wheel pants off and everyone liked the original version the best so I stayed with it. (Das Bipe) So here's some pictures and a beta with "only" the left side wheel pant modified so you can take a good look at both versions and let me know which version I should go with for the release. So please take a look at this beta and let me know which version to release the plane with. (original or rounded) Thanks for your help.

Here's three pictures.

Trident 75.jpgTrident 76.jpgTrident 77.jpg

EDIT: Beta Deleted it was just a quick test.

Last edited:
Rounded is my vote. Everybody liked the flat pants on the Bipe Stik because (i believe) the plane itself had flat sides.
28216_preview.jpg

But since this new Trident has curved sides, I personally think the rounded pants work best with it. 😊

Last edited:
I very much prefer the new one. In fact, I ALMOST suggested that - but I didn't want to annoy you by making unreasonable demands. What you already had was "good enough." That attention to detail is exactly what makes your creations stand out. And dammit, I'm running out of things to bitch about.

Last edited:
Okay thanks guys now I'll finish the collision mesh. The collision mesh is finished except for the landing gear and I wanted to rework the wheel pants before I did them. So it's almost time to start the mapping.

P.S. You can safely assume that I LIKE your posts whether I think about clicking that button or not... unless your post is threatening to abandon the project because I'm an overly demanding *******. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
There always seems to be a little tweaking to do so I finished that today and then backed up the project again. So the next time I work on it I'll start mapping. I see Ron was by today so if you see this Ron, howdy it's good to see you again you're missed when you're gone.

I got up this morning and was going to start mapping the Trident but realized I hadn't done the collision mesh for the landing gear since I wanted to rework the wheel pants before doing it, so I went back and did them. SO.. now I guess I'm finally ready to start the mapping. Hopefully.

There's always something to tweak. I decided since I've spent so much time on this plane it should have a better set of wheels. So I took one of my standard wheels and modified it a little more to make it look better. I've been wanting to improve the spoke pattern so I did that this morning. I haven't added the new wheels to the plane yet I just reworked them but I'll put them on the plane next. So mapping will have to wait again. Here's a couple of pictures for you.

Trident 78.jpgTrident 79.jpg

I added the new tires/wheels to the Trident this morning so now I'm back to where I was, ready to map. That's unless I think of something else I want to do. But the new tires/wheels is a nice touch and worth the effort.

Well I started on the mapping today. I didn't get any real mapping done but I removed all the baked on colors and did a little tweaking to the spacing for the control surfaces. The engine will be mapped too so it will be easy to change it's color for different color schemes. So the next time I work on it I can actually start mapping the parts.

I started mapping the parts today and am mapping it a little different. I'm mapping all the individual areas that are "formed" separately so painting them will be easy and the part will have crisp clean lines. By that I mean the mouth, the side and bottom outlets, and the side window areas will be mapped separately that way when you paint them there won't be any aliasing artifacts on the edges of them. I only mapped the fuselage and all those separate areas I mentioned but it's a start.

I'm not sure but I might take all the mapping offline and not do anymore updates until I finish it. So if I'm not around for a bit you'll know what's happening. Or if I post somewhere else but there's no updates on the mapping. This isn't a part of modeling I like so I have to force myself to do it.

No problem. I'm a bit surprised that there isn't an automated routine to do that since in my mind it's sorta like rendering it. It seems like there ought to be a way to use the baked on colors to let the computer do at least a rough draft of it. Since I've never done it, I guess I still don't understand exactly what you need to do. But since I've seen several of you complain about doing it, I do understand that its gotta be a pain. And I've still got the betas to play with.

I know what you mean. I need to change the cartridges in my reverse osmosis water system & change the batteries in its tester, but I've been putting it off for a similar reason. The water still tastes great & doesn't gunk up the coffee maker or my CPAP machine's humidifier, so I've been putting it off.

Back