Trident Redux

I plan to release two color schemes when I release Trident. The first one will be a blue/white version of the red/white color scheme I created and the second one will be Bill's blue/white color scheme. I like my red/white color scheme design a lot and I want to be able to fly it in blue/white too. I think both of the blue\white color schemes are different enough they deserve separate releases.

Hopefully this will be the last beta before release but I want Bill to test the Aileron-Flaps Mix and see if it works okay to him. I still haven't resized the parts in the physics but like before the plane fly's fine and I'll do that next. As you can see from the picture the beta has the new CS I created but in Blue White instead of Red White so I'd like your thoughts on it. I really like the new Red White CS design but after a while the Red seemed a little strong so I created a Blue White version. I've flown this plane in Blue so long it seems like the right color but let me know what you think the release CS should be, the new Red version or the new Blue version.

Controls Set for InterLink Elite

CH 6 Knob: Aileron-Flaps Mix
CH 7 Switch: Smoke
CH 8 Switch: Aileron-Elevator Mix (Forward - away from you)
BRAKE: Up Elevator

Trident 95.jpg

EDIT: BETA DELETED

Last edited:
I couldn't resist... unpacking & dinner will have to wait til later! :D

You're right that it floats more with the flaps. But I wonder if some pretty extreme flap throw would help. They seem like "more lift" flaps and don't seem to add much drag. But I also wonder whether that would cause a problem with roll response or adverse yaw. If it causes a problem, maybe differential aileron response would help. But I'm not a good enough pilot to be sure. And I wonder if a little elevator mixed in on the flap knob would be good. But again, I'm not a good enough pilot to be sure about that, either.

And something that seems odd but I'm not SURE is wrong: The Ch6 flaps respond to the dual rate switch. There's more flap throw on high rates, but they still don't seem to add much drag.

And a personal preference thing... I like a LOT of expo - especially on high rates. I like it so that small stick movements act pretty much like low rates without taking away big throws if I panic. I rarely actually use low rates.

And I LIKE that CS, too... my colors, different pattern.

Bill, ...Tech said that he didn`t resize the physics model for this beta, THAT "might" make a difference in the flight characteristics, but I`m not sure how much those resizing`s differences are to the visual model in the editor, might have to wait and see if he puts out another beta for you after he resizes the physics model.

I wish there were a way to add expo to the software radio that would apply to ALL models instead of having to mess with each one individually. I suspect I could do it if I were using my T8UAP as a controller, but AFAIK, It can't be done with an InterLink.

I just realized something... I could just mess with all that stuff myself. I usually don't mess around with it, since I can't mess with stock planes without duplicating them, but...
And it probably wouldn't do much good until he's done with the physics, anyway. We'd probably be working at cross purposes if I tried. And I'm probably not good enough at doing it or flying anyway.

@Bill Stuntz Okay thanks for checking it out. I want to go over a few things.

When I added the elevator-flap mix to the ailerons I couldn't give it as much throw as the plans called for without the plane falling off to one side or the other when you loop it so that didn't work out that well. Then adding the aileron-flap mix isn't doing what you want so I'm going to go a different route for the release.

What I'm going to do is remove both the elevator-flap and aileron-flap mixes and release the plane with a normal set of physics. That way it will fly the way I normally release my planes, no tricks just clean physics. Then I'll create an AV for you with both of those mixes set the way they are in the beta and you can play with those features to make them do what you want. That should work out really well. You'll get the features you want to play with and the released plane will fly the way I like. (Fancy mixes just aren't for me)

Hopefully that will work for you I think it's the best way to go.

I started working on the physics this morning and have all the parts resized. I also adjusted the throws a little. But since it has a full fuselage now I'm going to go back and adjust the part weights to make it more realistic right now it's too low. The plane will fly a little different when I get through but it will be more realistic right now the weight is 12.9 lbs with a wing loading of 18.6 oz which is definitely too low. The change should help Bill with his floaty feeling on landing because the wing loading will go up. So more to do but it's getting close now.

I went back and adjusted the weight to increase the wing loading so now it's more accurate to what it should be. I flew it for a while but really didn't notice much difference while flying it. So I'll fly it for a while to make sure I don't need to change anything then release it. So Ron, ASJ, and space boy, which color do you prefer for the release color scheme, Red or Blue? Ha.. I'm still undecided.

Plane Weight Before 12.990 lbs.
Plane Weight After 14.646 lbs.

Wing Loading Before 18.614 oz./sq. ft.
Wing Loading After 20.105 oz./sq. ft.

I'll cast a provisional ballot, just in case my voter registration is ruled to be valid: Red. :D I suppose that might make your own vote into the tie-breaker. Or maybe I should vote Blue.

Last edited:
I'll cast a provisional ballot, just in case my voter registration is ruled to be valid: Red. :D I suppose that might make your own vote into the tie-breaker. Or maybe I should vote Blue.
Okay I'll go with a Red vote for you. I thought in your post #509 you were voting for Blue which is why I didn't put your name on my question to the others. I go back and forth on the red and blue all the time, they both look great. In the beginning I just wanted something different because I had flown the blue so much, and of course the name Trident brought up the color red too.

That's part of the reason for my vote. I think the red looks great, even though my personal bias normally makes me lean toward blue.
P.S. I liked the whimsical devil that SB found & posted in Post#428.
Yeah that's a cool looking icon for sure but I won't be putting any pictures on the Trident.

Back