Trident Redux

I forgot to map the inside of the wheel pants so I did that and then did the 1x1 mapping on the fuselage. I had to do a lot of work on the fuselage to get it right. The bottom needed a lot of adjustment and I had to remap the top of the fuselage. The top and bottom of the fuselage isn't the same length as the sides and I forgot to be careful enough when I mapped it the first time. But I just finished all that so I'm almost done. I also had to move a part when I remapped the top of the fuselage. So the only thing left to do is create a new mask for the color scheme.

EDIT: OPPs I did forget something I didn't 1x1 map the area behind the spinner. If you put a stripe down the side of the fuselage you need that area 1x1 mapped or the stripe won't align properly where it wraps around to that area. So not much but I do have something else to do.

Last edited:
I just finished 1x1 mapping the area behind the spinner and creating a new mask for the color scheme, so now the mapping is finished. Now it's time to start working on the color scheme. Boy I'm glad that's all done it's the most painful part of modeling to me. It's not that it's so hard it's just plain and simple work instead of fun like creating the model. Oh well enough whining it's all done now.

I started playing with a new color scheme in red. I might make the red a little lighter than it is now. Everything is really dull because there's no spec map to add some gloss to it, but I'll do that later. But this is just a test to see if I want to go with red. Oh Bill I lightened up the canopy so it's not nearly as dark as it was before.

Trident 84.jpg

Last edited:
you did a red (mk ii) version of your original Trident too 😊
index.php

you did a red (mk ii) version of your original Trident too 😊
index.php
Yeah Trident sounds kind of Devilish so Red comes to mind.

There's red, and there's RED. That thing just screams RED on that black background. It's another of my favorite color combinations. FYI, my Shoestring Stunter was red & black. I THINK I used black for the sheeted areas & tips, and red for the "open" areas, but I don't remember for sure. I don't have a strong preference either way on the canopy except that if it's too clear it disappears. If you like it, I'm sure I will, too..

Last edited:
Me, too. For exactly the same reason. If fits perfectly. But it would need to be in a big white circle or something to work in Technoid's red CS. It would be like Alice's Cheshire Cat in that CS. It might work for my blue/white CS.

Last edited:
oh I hadn't even thought about using those in a CS. I don't know whether you would need to worry about copyright restrictions if it's simply a color scheme within RealFlight itself. maybe since color schemes are downloaded for free and not sold for profit, using them might be covered under what's called fair use.

There's red, and there's RED. That thing just screams RED on that black background. It's another of my favorite color combinations. FYI, my Shoestring Stunter was red & black. I THINK I used black for the sheeted areas & tips, and red for the "open" areas, but I don't remember for sure. I don't have a strong preference either way on the canopy except that if it's too clear it disappears. If you like it, I'm sure I will, too..
Yeah I think I'll end up making the Red just a little lighter. Right now the Red is at 223 (DF) and full Red is 255 (FF) so it's only 2 steps down. I'll know more when I create the SPEC MAP and see what it looks like in RealFlight so far I've only seen it in the 3d editor so it looks really dull. I plan to make the canopy just slightly tinted so you can see it but it's fairly light, that way it shouldn't disappear in RF-X.

this page needs me to believe that putting that little devil in a color scheme would likely be considered fair use:

For personal use, I think you're right. But I'm not so sure about using it in a distributed CS. The source might need to be credited in the description or something. Where did you find it? If it was published as free to use, it shouldn't be a problem. If they expect to get paid for use like the warrior, it probably won't fly - pun intended.

I`m pretty sure it becomes OR falls under the laws of "public domain" and you can use it as you please.
I'm not a lawyer, but I think you're wrong about that. You might get away with using the warrior with the watermarks, but I suspect that removing the watermarks and using it anyway would get you in trouble. "They" probably wouldn't care much because of the watermarks, but might object if you used it to make a profit. But I could easily be wrong.

yeah. I wonder whether essentially public domain images which can be found on the internet these days classify as public domain in copyright law.

but there's no doubt, and I'm sure we all agree, that any profit made from images from the Internet or not, made by other people, it is very likely copyright violation.

so, bill, looks like you're going to have to shut down your side business! 😂😈🤭🤭😇😇

for the record, everybody, I have no idea what Bill does other than flying airplanes in RF. I'm just being crazy silly. 😜 🤣

Last edited:
FYI, I'm mostly retired, but I build, repair, disinfect, recondition, & recycle PC's. I've been doing that for about 35 years, after 10 years working as a cardio-pulmonary technician & respiratory therapist. And I've done at least a little of just about anything else you can think of from fast food to warehouse work. But I've found that I'm a LOUSY salesman. I'll sell you what you really need, not what makes me the most money. I consider myself a professional student - but not in any organized sense as in "formal study."

Back