Triple rates on same switch

giovanniluigi

Is it possible to set up triple rates on the same switch? Just like I do on my real transmitters (e.g. PowerBox, Futaba, etc.), I'd like to set up what I essentially consider flight modes on switch C. Each flight control surface has 3 different throws and expo amounts, depending on the position of the switch.
I am able to do the dual rates on the same switch, but so far have not found a way to do the "triple" setup.

Is it possible to set up triple rates on the same switch? Just like I do on my real transmitters (e.g. PowerBox, Futaba, etc.), I'd like to set up what I essentially consider flight modes on switch C. Each flight control surface has 3 different throws and expo amounts, depending on the position of the switch.
I am able to do the dual rates on the same switch, but so far have not found a way to do the "triple" setup.
you can set up triple rates by having three inputs in the radio channel with conditional input and the inputs set to override

2024-01-07 00_13_39-Aircraft Editor - Sky Terror Mk-II 3D w-smoke.png
2024-01-07 00_12_48-Aircraft Editor - Sky Terror Mk-II 3D w-smoke.png2024-01-07 00_15_40-RealFlight Evolution.png

legoman, I followed your logic and, after some experimentations and condition adjustments, I was able to set up three mutually exclusive rates for one control surface (the other surfaces will follow in similar fashion), using the three positions of Switch C. I thank you for your input!

However, I question the setting “Override all other feeds” in the case when there are other valid inputs mixed with the primary ones. I think it is necessary to leave it to “Add to other feeds”.

Also, to avoid introducing the additional scaling for Low Rates, I had to either set “Low Rates When” to Never, or set Low Rates to 100%.

As for Expo values, I was not able to set up three different values associated with the three switch positions. I can get two values, one is the expo value for low rates, by setting “Low Rates When” to the condition for one of the switch positions. The other two switch positions get the same expo value for high rates, but that seems like a kludge. Any suggestions there?

In the process, I think I found an unrelated issue of unwanted interaction between expo and end points. I will post it in a different thread.

legoman, I followed your logic and, after some experimentations and condition adjustments, I was able to set up three mutually exclusive rates for one control surface (the other surfaces will follow in similar fashion), using the three positions of Switch C. I thank you for your input!

However, I question the setting “Override all other feeds” in the case when there are other valid inputs mixed with the primary ones. I think it is necessary to leave it to “Add to other feeds”.

Also, to avoid introducing the additional scaling for Low Rates, I had to either set “Low Rates When” to Never, or set Low Rates to 100%.

As for Expo values, I was not able to set up three different values associated with the three switch positions. I can get two values, one is the expo value for low rates, by setting “Low Rates When” to the condition for one of the switch positions. The other two switch positions get the same expo value for high rates, but that seems like a kludge. Any suggestions there?

In the process, I think I found an unrelated issue of unwanted interaction between expo and end points. I will post it in a different thread.

As long as the input conditons dont conflict multiple overide other feeds are fine and if they do confilct it would like just choose one of them depending on the order they are saved in. If you are still worried having the input just sum to 100 and adding in one two or three to get the triple rates.

Expo from the percentages gets applied to the output of the channels not the input. So the input gets scaled down by the curve or input % then the expo % is applied then the low rates percent % is applied and finally the trim.

Sorry I should have included info on the expo. You will need to set up custom curves in the inputs (complex input) for expos.

I have another way to apply the rate it uses mixers on the plane set to multiply and that can easily get a continuously variable rates not just dual triple or quad but with one fixed expo. You could also use multiple radio channels to get extra sets of expos then add with a mixer or multi-mixer.

this curve is not the best depiction of custom expo. But it gives a smooth flight at low inputs but max the stick and the plane flips on command (3d jet) there is a slight expo applied on the curve
2024-01-08 02_54_41-RealFlight Evolution.png
2024-01-08 02_56_56-Aircraft Editor - Sky Terror Mk-II 3D w-smoke.png
2024-01-08 03_02_46-RealFlight Evolution.png

Expo from the percentages gets applied to the output of the channels not the input. So the input gets scaled down by the curve or input % then the expo % is applied then the low rates percent % is applied and finally the trim.
Not sure I follow all your explanations about expo, but regardless of how expo is applied, it should result in the end points being unchanged from a 0% expo (i.e. a linear curve). In other words, the expo % is not equivalent to "scaling" the output, but to "shaping" the output according with an exponential curve, where the expo % relates to how much the curve deviates (normally lower) from linear around the center, to desensitize the input from small movements of the stick, leaving the endpoints unchanged.
What I noticed instead (the issue I was alluding to in my earlier post) is that in RF Evolution when expo % is greater than zero, then the output values gest scaled by some amount even at the endpoints, which is wrong (at least all other radios I know of, e.g. PowerBox, Futaba, leave the endpoints unchanged when expo is applied). The rate value is the one that can change the endpoints, not the expo value.

Not sure I follow all your explanations about expo, but regardless of how expo is applied, it should result in the end points being unchanged from a 0% expo (i.e. a linear curve). In other words, the expo % is not equivalent to "scaling" the output, but to "shaping" the output according with an exponential curve, where the expo % relates to how much the curve deviates (normally lower) from linear around the center, to desensitize the input from small movements of the stick, leaving the endpoints unchanged.
What I noticed instead (the issue I was alluding to in my earlier post) is that in RF Evolution when expo % is greater than zero, then the output values gest scaled by some amount even at the endpoints, which is wrong (at least all other radios I know of, e.g. PowerBox, Futaba, leave the endpoints unchanged when expo is applied). The rate value is the one that can change the endpoints, not the expo value.

realflight can not tell the difference between scaling the input to 50% and pulling all the way back and only pulling 50% back on the stick. low rate are handled differently and applied after the expo. But the workaround for triple rates applies the "rates" before the expo in the formula and thus is end up having different endpoint after the expo.

if you want to get crunchy with the math and the formulas you can keep reading.

the expo has it own formula that ranges in outputs between [-0.5,2.0] with inputs [-100%,100%] and the input 0 outputting 1

with how the main out formula works and the output usually being between -1 and 1 not including inputs C and D. Appling an positive expo will make the number closer to zero. Then when we scale make B (input scale) smaller and redue the max output from [-1,1] by to [-B,B].

example set B to 50 and E to max for max expo. it scales the output of F to [-0.5,0.5] then we apply the expo and we are now at [-0.25,0.25]

input formula.jpg

Back