trying to set up electric cub

Dgephri

new to r/c flight, new to RF.

I am building the GP Cub 58" kit, and want to practice with power/loading similar to what my build will be. Kind of the point of RF right?

Took the Regular Piper Cub, changed to Electric Engine, took the Engine sound and changed it to Brushed with Gear ratio, etc.

My target set up is:
600R (reversed) electrifly
2.5:1 gear
10X8 electric prop
2500mAH batt 6cell

I tried a 600 rated motor from the list at 8.4V but it sure is underpowered compared to vids I can find of GP Cub kits on electric motors.

I find no Reverse motors in the list so my guess it I might not be able to get proper power out of the 10X8 Prop in RF?

Can some RF genie help me with the right choices to approach my goal? ;)

Could use a bit more information. What version of realflight are you running? Why do you need the motor reversed?

No matter the reason for the motor direction it is a simple fix. The setting that will help you accomplish reversing the motor is the "Prop Spins Clockwise" setting in the editor.

Attachments

• 12-21-2011 12-58-35 PM.jpg
    12-21-2011 12-58-35 PM.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 8
I meant the exact version number. For example I'm using 6.00.027.

Also If the end resulting prop rotation is un-reversed than you have no need to try and replicate that nor can you I believe. It would be better to see what amount of power reduction the gearbox produces and set the motor torque curves or just the power setting accordingly. You may need to boost the power to simulate what you are seeing in videos. Remember it's just a sim. The end result is the most important goal.

I am updated to 6.00.027 as well.

I will fiddle a bit, just wondered if anyone else had similar parts or had tried to replicate any other part of this.

I ought to check RPM on the electric motor in RF6 and RPM of my motor...then fiddle with gearing. (pondering)

Thanks for the tips!

Dgephri said:
new to r/c flight, new to RF.

Took the Regular Piper Cub, changed to Electric Engine, took the Engine sound and changed it to Brushed with Gear ratio, etc.

My target set up is:
600R (reversed) electrifly
2.5:1 gear
10X8 electric prop
2500mAH batt 6cell

I tried a 600 rated motor from the list at 8.4V but it sure is underpowered compared to vids I can find of GP Cub kits on electric motors.

I find no Reverse motors in the list so my guess it I might not be able to get proper power out of the 10X8 Prop in RF?

Can some RF genie help me with the right choices to approach my goal? ;)

Ok, did you first make sure the "regular" cub is the correct size and weight of your target plane?

It must be so, to get the expected performance.

Next the 600R even with a reduction gear is a bit anemic for a 58" plane.

The reason you see others getting great performance out of their cubs is because most people have gone over to higher draw configurations...

Usually direct drive outrunners are used... though I have a few large planes set up with big in-runners and gear drives.

The 8.4v output of your packs will drop to about 7.4v under load, which doesn't produce a lot of power using a 10x8 prop. Upping the voltage will burn out the motor quickly.... been there, tried that, dumped it...

BTW: Reverse or forward, it makes NO difference to the sim... as far as it is concerned a motor is a motor no matter which way it spins.

I would forgo the 600. BTW: the "600" moniker is a misnomer, since the actual can size is closer to 500...

Back