Unable to access menus in Realflight Trainer Trial (Greyed Out)

garyjblackwell

I loaded Steam and downloaded Realflight Trainer. The program opens and none of the menu's are clickable. I tried editing the ini file to set OpenWelcome to "No".

OpenWelcome=BOOL:No

I've also used the display settings to add the RealFlightTrainer exe and Steam exe's to the high performance option. I would like to use the 100 minutes of the trial, but it has deducted 18 minutes while I have been troubleshooting accessing the menus. I am attaching my dxdiag output.

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    95.7 KB · Views: 3
I loaded Steam and downloaded Realflight Trainer. The program opens and none of the menu's are clickable. I tried editing the ini file to set OpenWelcome to "No".

I've also used the display settings to add the RealFlightTrainer exe and Steam exe's to the high performance option. I would like to use the 100 minutes of the trial, but it has deducted 18 minutes while I have been troubleshooting accessing the menus. I am attaching my dxdiag output.

Thanks for any advice.
There is a known issue with the type of graphics being used. Are you on a laptop and what is the CPU and GPU specs. And does the laptop have an add-on graphics card. There are lots of threads covering this problem. I don't have a link handy, but someone will probably post one.

Recommend you just keep checking on Steam for updates instead of trying to run RF Trainer and wasting your minutes left in the program.
I can confirm there is indeed a RealFlight Trainer Edition update coming that will fix this. It will be a little while still before it releases, but I think you will be quite happy with it once it's ready!

If you absolutely can't wait, upgrading to RealFlight Evolution is probably your cheapest option (make sure you choose the discounted purchase option within Steam). An inexpensive discrete Nvidia graphics card is another possible solution.

@garyjblackwell, I would like to second what @asj5547 said above and recommend you not spend any more of your trial time until we've announced and released the updated version which should run on your system.

Or, as he also mentioned, the full Evolution version will work now if you don't want to wait.

@garyjblackwell, I should have thought of this when I replied before: The Trial Version time limit is measured in actual flight time, not merely the time the application is running. So based on what you've described you should not have eaten into your available time yet.

Thanks for any advice.
the problem probably is already solved but try just pressing esc when the application is loaded

@garyjblackwell, I should have thought of this when I replied before: The Trial Version time limit is measured in actual flight time, not merely the time the application is running. So based on what you've described you should not have eaten into your available time yet.
Sure, that makes sense. It shows the time played on the steam screen. Perhaps the game time is different.

That's correct. Steam tracks the amount of time each application has been running, which is what you can see reported in the Steam client. The RealFlight Trainer Edition: Trial Version time limitation, on the other hand, is completely separate from that and calculated differently. RealFlight literally measures your time spent in the air. That means that time spent in menus, for example, or watching the built-in Training recordings, or with your model crashed in pieces or idling on the runway, does not count toward your trial period.

So, the 100 minutes is actually a lot more than it sounds like! You can learn an awful lot in 100 minutes of actual flight time.

When that 100 minutes is used up, RealFlight will continue to run, but you will be unable to fly any models. You can still watch and rewatch Training lessons as much as you like, or otherwise explore the software. We're giving away that trial version of RealFlight Trainer Edition to help more beginner pilots succeed, and we want to leave some learning opportunities available even after it expires. The standard (non-trial) RealFlight Trainer Edition and the full-featured RealFlight Evolution are both available if you want to continue practicing.

Oh, and work is progressing nicely on the Trainer Edition update. I don't want to give anything away, but it will be a significant improvement when it's ready.

Back