Update the Box Plane Example

I don't have time to do this, so I am throwing out an idea that might bring more modelers.

It would be great if there was a step by step example of building a simple plane for RF8 and RFX.

Add the steps for painting the aircraft.
Add the steps for a collision net.
Show the updated import method.

Talk about the tri limits and other things that have changed. Could be a manual or a video.

It has been so long and so many things have changed. Just an Idea.

That`s a great idea 12-0, but I doubt that anyone would do it. I can`t imagine the amount of time Boof spent doing the vids. that he did on the box plane, even those were kind of hard to follow (at least for me, being a newb at building) BUT, all in all, he did a great job, considering the task at hand. I actually found Wings 3D to be very user friendly for a new builder, Max on the other hand was way more challenging, even with Boofs tute`s, Max is just way too hard too navigate for someone that`s not familiar with it. It would be nice if there was just a sticky to all of Boof`s tute`s, they are extremely helpful. I know he he covered the collision mesh, I watched it several times. But yes, it would be nice to have an updated tute/tute`s

I'm new to RealFlight and would also like to see an updated tutorial for creating a new EA and Flying field for importing into RF. I've been trying to sort through all the older info to see if I could create an aircraft in Blender and then, using the FBX to import into RF.

I have also tried to follow some of the tutorials that have been provided but have a hard time understanding the exact procedure to follow from start to finish.

Some people like Wings3d, most use 3ds Max, and say just get the student version but I don't think it's as easy to qualify for the student version anymore, or is it? Don't you have to prove that you are a valid student?

I would rather have a good Blender procedure for new RF designers to use.

I'm continuing to search through the forum for the needed info, but there is a lot of 'clutter' to get through to get the right info.

I'm new to RealFlight and would also like to see an updated tutorial for creating a new EA and Flying field for importing into RF. I've been trying to sort through all the older info to see if I could create an aircraft in Blender and then, using the FBX to import into RF.
I would rather have a good Blender procedure for new RF designers to use.
Welcome! 2 the Forums.
Re:Blender BoxPlane Example for RF8!
Useing a Current version of Blender you will need to Download & Install robertlong13's Add-On which can B found here https://github.com/robertlong13/io_scene_realflight
Once configured you should Now Find as an export option "RealFlight FBX (.fbx)"
I Have attached BoxPlane.EA.RFX(to Base your Physics Model ON)Download & Import to RF8 as normal...
Also have attached a BoxPlane.zip.rfx {To Use 1st download from the forums!...,then delete .rfx part from the filename & UnZip as normal},Inside the Zip Folder is BoxPlane.blend & tga's this should Open & give U an idea how a Model should B Configured!..
To Export a Model 2 RealFlight from Blender in 3D window i would [Right Click Select]FUSELAGE,then press the "a key twice" and export >RealFlight FBX (.fbx)
I Use the selected Objects Only Option!.
Once U have exported as RealFlight FBX (.fbx)....
In RF8 Under heading Simulation > Import > 3D Model (FBX, KEX)...Select this Option!
A 3D Model Import Dialog Appears BROWSE 2 the location of your BoxPlane.fbx file...Open It! then Import,says it's converting fbx 2 kex.
Another Dialog appears about selecting type of KEX you are importing "Airplane" SHOULD already B Selected.....Click Next>
Building Aircraft List Appears....
Then Please Select an aircraft to initialize your model from.....In the DropDown list find"BoxPlane"Select It! then Finish.
An Import File Conflict!Dialog...Appears 3 Times
#1 You already have a(n) Colour Scheme named boxplane....Select Do not import this file.
#2 You already have a(n) Aircraft named BoxPlane....Select Overwrite the old file.
#3 You already have a(n) Aircraft Variant named BoxPlane....Select Do not import this file.

RF8 Should Report that Your
KEX BoxPane import was successul.
Done!!!!!!!!..........

Attachments

• BoxPlane_EA.RFX
    3 MB · Views: 27
  • BoxPlane.zip.rfx
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
Looking for some pointers here please.

I was able to load the BoxPlane sample into Blender 3.2.0 and, after fixing up the texture mapping in the shaders, I can export the FBX and import into RF 9.5S without any errors,

The plane files the same as the original EA and everything seems to work - with the exception of the landing gear.

When I toggle the gear switch the plane drops to the ground; but the gear parts on the model do not animate up into the wings/fuse.
The bomb bay doors open and close fine; but for the life of me I can't get the gear to animate.

I compared the original and my version in the aircraft editor in RF and they look the same. I also checked the pivot points in Blender and they look OK.

Any ideas what I am missing here?

Update: I've attached the EA exported from RF in case it helps identify where I've gone wrong.

Attachments

• BoxPlane2_EA.RFX
    3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
landing gears run up and down using NUP commands. they are custom object properties. also, rf cannot read nup commands with binary fbx files. so make sure to convert it to ascii

The program I use

what is in the picture
UDP3DSMAX
NUP_MaxRotationZ=90&cr;&lf;NUP_LandingGear=~CS_LG2022-07-03 10_44_57-Window.jpg

NUP_LandingGear=<insert comonent name here ~CS_RG> (this is used to link gear doors to landing gears)
NUP_MaxRotationX=<insert Dergees of rotation>
NUP_MaxRotationY=<insert Dergees of rotation>
NUP_MaxRotationZ=<insert Dergees of rotation>

command seperator for blender
&cr;&lf;

there are other commands as well for other types of component

Moveable pods also work as seen here in this edit, but as Legoman says NUP commands (New User Profiles) are the best solution.

Attachments

• BoxPlane2_EA.RFX
    3 MB · Views: 8
Thanks legoman. The ASCII file format was the missing link.

It would be easier if the FBX exporter for blender had this as an option for the export; but you can't have everything.

A question on CS_BULB and CS_GLOW objects.

The box plane sample has 'lights' on each wing which have both CS_BULB and CS_GLOW objects defined in the model.
If I set RF to night time both of these light up and blink (I have to move CS_GLOW objects to see the CS_BULB ones; but they definitely blink).
During the day the CS_GLOW are not visible which is correct.

The problem is the CS_BULB objects are visible during the day; but they do not blink.
From reading other forum posts I thought they should blink even during the day.

(The NUP settings in the earlier posted RFX were wrong for these lights so they don't work in that version.)

For anyone using Blender for modelling it is possible to manage the NUP properties without needing to convert the exported FBX file to the ASCII format. You have to use robertlong13's FBX exporter linked in an earlier post. I figured this out looking at the exporter code to see if it could export direct to ASCII format.

Option 1:
Use \r\n to seperate the NUP values instead of &cr;&lf;
For example set UDP3DSMAX = NUP_OffPeriodSEC=0.5\r\nNUP_OffsetSEC=0.5\r\nNUP_OnPeriodSEC=0.5 will export correctly into the binary FBX file and import as three NUP properties into RF. The exporter correctly converts and writes the UDP3DSMAX value to the binary FBX file.

Option 2:
Create seperate custom properties for each NUP value with the property name set to the NUP_xxx name.
For example adding these three properties to an object will also work in the binary FBX file.
NUP_OffPeriodSEC = 0.5
NUP_OffsetSEC = 0.5
NUP_OnPeriodSEC = 0.5
The exporter will merge them together into a single UDP3DSMAX property on export.

Ok ok.
PHilmonz, Uhmm I have Bob Long's RF FBX exporter for Blender.
Using ~CS_SG (Retracts forward), ~CS_GD4 (Closes to left) what do I need to set EXACTLY for specced behavior from Option 2
And I know of these and they are more confusing then helpful about this:
I hate bugging you for help but.. Help?

Ok ok.
PHilmonz, Uhmm I have Bob Long's RF FBX exporter for Blender.
Using ~CS_SG (Retracts forward), ~CS_GD4 (Closes to left) what do I need to set EXACTLY for specced behavior from Option 2
And I know of these and they are more confusing then helpful about this:
I hate bugging you for help but.. Help?

make the rotation negative

eg use NUP_MaxRotationX=-90 instead of NUP_MaxRotationX=90

Ok but as a String, Float, Intege ?

*He makes something dangerously close to a small girl's squeel of delight*
String for the NUP_ Name
Float for the value
And I made he as seperate custom props.

Last edited:
Ok but as a String, Float, Intege ?

*He makes something dangerously close to a small girl's squeel of delight*
String for the NUP_ Name
Float for the value
And I made he as seperate custom props.

I dont use Bob Long's RF FBX exporter for Blender.

this is what I do. I also am using an older version of Blender (2.82) so it might be different

2023-02-10 18_31_11-Settings.jpg
2023-02-10 18_29_40-Settings.jpg

Attachments

• 2023-02-10 18_27_28-Settings.jpg
    2023-02-10 18_27_28-Settings.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 5
Ok.. I checked my Blender and its 3.3
So we all know and can compare versions. Here's a screen grab of mine.
I tested and can use 'String' prop for both Name and Number .

Attachments

• Blender33_NUPSetup.jpg
    Blender33_NUPSetup.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 11
Back