Uploading others' work to the swap pages

Back to the subject of this thread.

Question: Does "original content" also apply to alterations in the physics model?

For aircraft, I believe the _EA is still off limits.
There's no stopping someone from doing it, unless that person is looking for some excitement.

Variants and colorschemes are usually ok as long as it's not an obvious rip-off of what someone else made.
The Major and Mikeymike had a little dogfight about it not long ago.

Either way common sense always wins.

People work.

The up loading of other work is not really an KE rule. It is an understanding from the modelers and the users. All thought if a persons complains to KE about there work being posted with out permission they have all ways taken care of the problem by deleting the files.

If you thinking about posting people works that have left the forums like TheGibson please don't. He did not want his stuff here so please respect his wishes. If you find some EA and PI on the web, on peoples private sight please do not upload them either.

If you made an AV or a CS you are free to post it. If you take some one AV or CS and edit them most see no problem with you posting them as long as you are not trying to pass it off as all your work, it is nice to give the original user credit. Example of this would be if you just changed the Squadron logo and tail number on some one CS. Good ideal to state that you just change them and did not do most of the work.

Same goes with AV's if you just tweaked some ones AV, give that guy credit, if needed.

One thing to think about. Is your AV really worthy. I rarely download AV. If I find the model needs some tweaking to fly like I like to fly them I just change them just for my self. Only AV I like are the special ones.

Last edited:
flip3d said:
At this point nothing. The question still stands: Does "original content" also apply to alterations in the physics model?
Sounds like you have something specific in mind. What is it? Content from the Internet, other users here, what?

flip3d said:
At this point nothing. The question still stands: Does "original content" also apply to alterations in the physics model?

He did state "PHYSICS" so it is probably an AV.

For some reason I misread that. I thought he was talking about the phsical (3D) model. The swaps are full of AVs.

The "Rules", if that's what you care to call them, governing the use of "original content" in many instances seem vague. Is there some reason for not considering physics models as "original content" and as such not subject to the guidelines stated in post "1"?

Personally I see no difference between an EA and an AV in this respect.

EA's for the most part are weighted towards the graphics model. AV's towards the physics model.

The bottom line is this: I would prefer to post AV's without displaying the alterations in the "Advanced Properties" of the Aircraft Editor. Is this possible? If not I feel that it should be.

I'm not sure but I don't believe you can block out the modifications you have made.

I believe that the designers also try to get the physics correct, not just the visible when building a EA.

What is so bad about people seeing your modifications?

Last edited:
I've given flexible permission to upload the B-58 for G3/ G3.5. Since I don't own G3 he would have to import the .kex and setup the physics, create the EA, then he has every right to upload to the swaps without having to go back through me. I don't need to be a baby and get the EA from him to upload to the swaps so that people double-know I created the model. :)

I think anyone could think this way because once you create the .kex, it's KE's property from that point on. The modeler always deserves to get credit for the model, but if I'm doing something for free to play with in the sim and I let others have the model too, I've lost nothing by giving up control to upload EA's on behalf of me.

I'll let people have my .max, .3ds model too if they want it. Don't PM me though for it. I'll know if I should upload to my jimdo webpage by seeing requests.

Converting from version to version makes since, that the only way to go backwards to earlier versions.

The question stands: Does "original content" also apply to alterations in the physics model?

Thoughts on this will vary and for that reason I ask for a response from KE.

Personally I would like to have the option of uploading a model without displaying the "Advanced Properties" be it EA or AV.

This opens a second question: Is this possible?

Advanced Properties is a function of the sim, isn't it? How could a model file disable that?

flip3d said:
Thoughts on this will vary and for that reason I ask for a response from KE.
Who's to say thoughts won't vary by people at KE?

I may be different than anyone else following this thread, but I don't understand specifically what you're up to. What if the tables were turned? What if somebody else was asking these questions about your files? Would you be upset? Maybe this is just all about the Golden Rule.

AV verses EA

When a change is made to the EA file by Swap Page users, the only changes you can make,is to physics model, and those changes then become an AV. When you get a Kex file from a modeler, in most cases you will get only the standard RF set up. You will then create the physics model, an because it is posted as G3, "the swaps treats that file as an EA, not because you made an EA, but because there is no G3 EA of record to support it being posted as an AV.
An AV does not, an EA make, no matter how you comb you're hair, hold you're mouth, or what words you put on the file when you post it.
Speaking for my self, when I post a Kex/Ea, I have no choice but to make the post as an EA at that time, but then once posted, I edit the name of poster, and change it to the Modeler who created the 3D file, that is the only person who should get credit for an EA (Entire Aircraft).

Back